Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 02:15 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
HAHAHA! I was thinking to myself.......Wendy Bell. SMH
Agreed. With the assumed stereotyping going on here, it's obvious she shouldn't have been fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 02:24 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
Hearst is a private company and Pennsylvania is an at-will state. She broke journalistic objectivity on a page that included their logo.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Hearst is a private company and Pennsylvania is an at-will state. She broke journalistic objectivity on a page that included their logo.
Some public opinion doesn't deserve firing.

While the tagging is a disgraceful act, I'm curious to see if the stereotyping is correct.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Inventing back stories for service staff that you don't know is something that a lot of people do. Most people people however, don't get as detailed as Ms. Bell did with every stereotype in the book, or publish it on a webpage.

The worker at the Cheesecake joint could have been 30, an immigrant or local college student from almost anywhere, with any sort of family or socioeconomic background. A restaurant uniform really is an equalizer and a blank slate that makes everyone look the same. The worker might not have even been an African American, I thought a gal that was my neighbor years ago was black, I wasn't embarrassed when I learned she was an east Indian as I didn't shoot off my mouth on the internet figuring out her entire back story out of whole cloth.

Old 04-08-2016, 06:53 PM

It's a stones and glass houses scenario. The stereotyping going on here is ridiculous but not a big deal. However, if the roles were reversed, many would be in an uproar. While the stereotyping may be true, if one is going to complain about one form, they shouldn't take part in another.

I certainly hope the tagger gets caught and has to make full restitution and then some.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:25 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
how are the tacos?
The tacos are good. Not quite as good as the ones at my favorite place back home in CA, but darn good nonetheless.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:06 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Maybe they think tacos will gentrify them out of Brookline the way vegan-friendly fair-trade fro-yo is gentrifying everyone out of the East End these days?
Looks like it was the tacos got gentrified out....

Rent hikes cause Latino grocery in Brookline to find new location | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Hard to believe rents have gone up that much for that space. Granted it’s a pretty prominent spot on the Blvd, but there are so many dumpy little shops on the Blvd it’s hard to believe many of them could afford to be there.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:12 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
The tacos are good. Not quite as good as the ones at my favorite place back home in CA, but darn good nonetheless.
I hope they stick with their taco biz. It would be a blow to Pittsburgh's diverse image if Brookline residents had to travel out of the community for their exotic foreign cuisine. The city fathers should be thinking outside the bun on this problem.

Old 04-09-2016, 07:51 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Maybe they think tacos will gentrify them out of Brookline the way vegan-friendly fair-trade fro-yo is gentrifying everyone out of the East End these days?
Is this your handy work

Old 04-09-2016, 09:04 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Is this your handy work
Is it bad that the first thing I thought of when looking at that photo was the old Polish joke with the punchline, "Green side up!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh