Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 07:55 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I was going to mention Penn Ave Fish in response to that same post. I will be there for lunch today, one of my favorite spots in town!
Say "hi" to Angel (if you're going to the one on Forbes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 07:58 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
Quote:
Great handmade cocktails, a little on the pricey side (for some, I don't mind paying for a good drink). Their signature is the smokestack, which is essentially smoked bourbon that they "cook" right there in front of you using flavored wood chips. It's cool to get just to watch it made, if nothing else.

Food is what I would call upscale pub food. Generally not healthy, but tasty. They have some good selections, the short rib sliders I am a fan of (although I've heard others on here say they were underwhelmed by them), good fries, etc.

It is one of my favorite weekend spots in town, others may disagree, but it's definitely worth trying out to make the determination for yourself. Be sure to come back to let us know what you think!
thx - sounds like a go for tonight, so I shall report experiences.

Penn Ave Fish Co is a true gem. I've tried several of their sandwiches and they are delicious - better than I can get at the Sydney Fish Market, and that is high praise, believe me.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:59 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Say "hi" to Angel (if you're going to the one on Forbes).
Will do, that's where I will be meeting my brother today.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:03 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Will do, that's where I will be meeting my brother today.
She's one of my favorite people in Pgh.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:08 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,445 times
Industry is a nice place, and agree with all comments made. It does however get very very crowded. We went there for dinner on night WITHOUT reservations, and it was a 2 hour wait for a table (and there wasn't enough room at the bar for our group) so we had to eat dinner at Hambones. No offense to Hambones, but talk about a downgrade.

I have however made reservations for 18 people once there and they were more than accomodating and it was a great time.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:41 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
BTW, thinking of heading to Industry Public House in Lawrenceville tonight. It sounds 'Meat and Potatoes-ish', with a very fine beer selection. Any comments from the colective - good spot? food? cocktails?
I had a Southern Tier Pumpking beer with crushed cinnamon on the rim of the glass there, mighty tasty. But then I got my check and saw that they charge $9 a glass for it, which is more than a bit steep. So be sure of the prices when you go there, if that's an issue.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:47 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I had a Southern Tier Pumpking beer with crushed cinnamon on the rim of the glass there, mighty tasty. But then I got my check and saw that they charge $9 a glass for it, which is more than a bit steep. So be sure of the prices when you go there, if that's an issue.
Wow, 9 bucks for a beer? Better be a topless waitress there somewhere.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:12 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post

That Southern Tier Pumpking is the best pumpkin beer I ever had. Most are just blah and some just plain bad. I paid five dollars for a pint a couple years go at Diamond Market. I thought that was a bit high then. As there becomes a bit more nip in the air, more and more people will want pumpkin beers. The word has gotten out on Southern Tier as being the best. It is not that easy to find. Some pubs are relegated to a keg, maybe two, then have a hard time getting it. The demand has skyrocketed, hence, so has it's price. A bartender at the Smiling Moose told me last year after selling me a pint that they "always can get it" because they are "tight with the owners" who are out of New York State. They sell them in big bottles in some places. Nevertheless, it will be hard to find in a keg or bottle after a certain point in the season, unless Southern Tier is bought out by Anheuser Busch.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:48 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I'll echo the commentary about Industry. We sometimes specifically just order their fries cooked with truffle oil and smothered in fresh Gorgonzola for pick-up. Delicious (albeit expensive at $10 per order). I also like to order a burger whose name escapes me right now (it has jalapenos), and my partner enjoys the chicken sandwich. I believe Goodjules also ate here and liked the food.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:50 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Wow, 9 bucks for a beer? Better be a topless waitress there somewhere.
At least topless!!!

I've never actually been a fan of pumpkin beers, so unlikely to suffer that sticker shock, but do love Southern Tier - visited their brew pub last month, great place.

I might see if I can scam a sample
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh