Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As an observer from outside, and we have the same regs here, the first place you need to complain about zero tolerance policies is PA Department of Education then work your way down to the local elected school board. Schools only implement polices for which they have a directive.
It's the insurance companies that are dictating this crap. If schools don't have certain policies in place, the school districts have to pay higher insurance premiums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 06:54 PM

419 posts, read 551,746 times
God forbid a pocketknife! Yet what have these zero tolerance policies accomplished?

Old 09-20-2013, 06:59 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,965 times
While I don't have any first-hand knowledge, I believe that suspensions are reported to colleges on your transcript or on your secondary school report, which specifically asks the school about disciplinary action taken against a student. So, yeah, a ten-day suspension is kind of a big deal.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:02 PM

45,374 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
While I don't have any first-hand knowledge, I believe that suspensions are reported to colleges on your transcript or on your secondary school report, which specifically asks the school about disciplinary action taken against a student. So, yeah, a ten-day suspension is kind of a big deal.

Absences are noted on transcripts, not the reasons.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:22 PM

31 posts, read 36,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
Anecdotaly, I've seen a situation that supports that. Back in Texas, a class mate was suspended in his freshman year for 3 days because he and some other kids were fooling around flashing more and ridiculous gang signs in study hall. The school had a zero tolerance policy towards anything that started with the letter 'g' and the whole lot was suspended.

He went on to get his eagle scout rank, lettered in band and sports, graduated in the top 2% of our class, and secured a nomination to the Air Force academy from our congressman. He received an appointment in April, which was rescinded in May when someone was reviewing his academic records and found the suspension.

Mind you, this was several years ago, but with the prevalence of electronic records, it seems things like this will be even more likely to hang around.

Zero tolerance policies are frustrating, because they occasionally lead to very stupid situations. They also teach kids that the proper thing to do if you mess up is make sure you don't get caught.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:13 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
We felt it was handled the correct way, he did all his work while he was out. In a meeting the teachers felt terrible, one had tears but it is a zero tolerance policy. We were told that he could have had a 45 day or a year out. It will not be on his record either.
Yep, handled correctly. No big deal. Must be a really slow news day to report something that tiny.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:02 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's the insurance companies that are dictating this crap. If schools don't have certain policies in place, the school districts have to pay higher insurance premiums.
Probably so. At least according to the article in the OP, state law allows schools to do this stuff, but it apparently doesn't require it.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:03 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Yep, handled correctly. No big deal. Must be a really slow news day to report something that tiny.
Handled correctly [which I don't think it was as I don't think the kid did anything worth suspension] after the kid gets a lawyer and goes to the press is not the same thing as an actual reasonable school administration.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:07 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
The young man deals in good faith and gets the curse of political correctness in return.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:27 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Absences are noted on transcripts, not the reasons.
"Secondary School Report: In addition to requesting a copy of your high school transcript, most college applications will also include a supplemental form called the Secondary School Report.
You’ll give this form to your school, and it will be completed by one of its counselors, most likely the one who handles college-related stuff. As it did with your transcript, your high school will mail the completed Secondary School Report directly to the appropriate college(s).
So what information does the Secondary School Report include? Some of it is a rehash of info that the college will ask you to provide on its main application form—e.g., your GPA, your class rank, and whether you have any disciplinary history."

College Speak: Transcript, Secondary School Report, and Mid-Year and Final Reports - In - Your Guide to College Admissions from The Princeton Review

I would be willing to bet that a ten-day suspension counts as "disciplinary history." I have no idea what this kid's college aspirations are, but I am guessing that when it is reported that he was suspended for ten days for bringing a knife to school, it certainly isn't going to help the strength of his applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh