Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 05:55 PM

419 posts, read 551,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Sheesh, PghDude, you are so depressing. Do you ever have a good day?

There are some decent places in Carrick, who is to say it won't be a good move for the poster?

Debbie Downer.
That entire post was pragmatic. I would give that advice to anyone moving to X city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 07:15 PM

4 posts, read 4,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
So you have inherited this house in Pittsburgh. I think a much broader question you should be asking is why do you want to leave Atlanta? I understand family reasons may be one and moving because of family has its pros and cons. My advice to you would be to actually visit Pittsburgh first and get a "feel" for it. Tour around the neighborhoods. Drive on some of the roads. Picture yourself having a daily routine and life there. You may find it as an appealing, livable, dreamy place or a run down, depressing nightmare. If I had a choice between East Liberty or Carrick, it would definitely be East Liberty.

To be honest we are in WPP (witness protection plan) and our cover has been blown. Time to find new digs.

Sincerely,

Henry Hill

Old 09-23-2013, 07:30 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
There are worse places in the world than Carrick and the price is right. The area is fairly safe, pretty easy access to shopping experiences at the Century III Ghetto Mall and adjacent big box stores.

Driving to East Lib from there isn't really the worst from Becks Run and across the Hot Metal through Oakland.

You're in walking distance of the State Store and dining adventures at BK and Long John Silver's, people like the Characters Lounge near where Isaly's used to be.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,917 times
Just kidding about WPP

I've been up 4-5 times...once during Christmas and the times during the summer. I've honestly had a great time every visit....but then again the summer trips are filled with Brentwood 5k's, trips to PNC and lots of time in the Rivers Poker Room. My wife loves the burgh and we've lived in Atlanta 17 years....it's fine but I'm not opposed to a change. I work from home so the move doesn't affect my job. I also have a RE license and I believe that can reciprocate to a PA RE license with a few requirements. Also a little interested in re investing but obviously need to learn more about the areas before looking at a rehab. Thanks for the info about the east liberty area....seems like there is some good info in the east liberty thread. Btw, any Pittsburgh teachers in this thread? Had a couple questions if so -

Old 09-23-2013, 09:28 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,860 times
Maytide Street is in the safe section of Carrick... Though depending on what yal are use to East Liberty & Carrick might take some time adjusting to.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:38 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,378,860 times
Here's my most my most recent post on Carrick recycled for you (only changed Maytide with another OP's streets in question)... The thread it was originally on was Looking for a Pittsburgh home - Carrick a possibility

Most of Carrick aka "Da CRK," or "29th Ward," is going through slow-noteable decline, but is still safe and very livable. Overall, Carrick is an old, semi blighted, largely working class-lower middle class, 90+ percent predominantly White (but getting more diverse) community. We Pittsburghers call this type of a area a "yinzer neighborhood," but its not a bad thing, as their gritty yet safe, and they're pretty iconic/symbolic of our city and its past.
Yet as of the mid 2000's, the neighborhood has developed several predominantly section 8/low-income 20% African American & 80% White sections that are: further off in decline, higher in crime, and have more drug activity.

Due to drug activity avoid a property on or near Brownsville Road. Earlier in the year the poilce landed a 38 man drug bust... Carrick residents, along with the police, did a great job taking initiative and stopping the drug situation before it got as bad as near by Mt. Oliver's... However, there's still a lot of work to be done, as much of Brownsville is still pretty sketchy.
Besides large chunks of Brownsville Road and the adjacent side streets/alleys there are only two areas of Carrick that have high crime and/or drug issues...

"Northern Carrick" aka Carrick by Mt. Oliver: Unlike the rest of Carrick where its scattered, this area has concentrated spill over crime and notable drug/gang activity as a result of the St. Clair Village Housing Projects getting razed. BTW, the troubled youth spell Carrick with a dubble c ("Carricc") in this area if ya know what I mean...
Location~
Part A) the area east of Brownsville Road- from the Mt. Oliver Boro border to Birmingham Avenue
Part B) west of Brownsville Road- in between the two cemeteries, (Nobles Road area)

a small section of "Southern Carrick": This area has history of high white-on-white drug crime and is one of Pittsburgh's worst "white ghettos."
Location~
In between Becks Run Road-Kirk Avenue/the cemetery

-Again due to drug crime, avoid renting or buying in these three areas, and don't walk alone after dark in Northern or the bad part of Southern Carrick. Also know that Carrick's bad parts are nothing compared to near by Beltzhoover, Northern Knoxville, most of Mt. Oliver Boro, most of Allentown, what's left of the Arlington Heights Housing Projects, western Arlington, even Southern Knoxville.
---------------------------------------
Due to decline IMO certain other sections of Carrick (basically the unnamed Central Carrick area) will be just as bad as the areas above in the next 5-10 years... Those areas are listed below:
Area 1): west of Brownsville Road; from West Meyers Avenue-West Woodford Avenue
Area 2): east of Brownsville Road; south of Birmingham Avenue to East Agnew Avenue (where The Blvd is located)
---------------------------------------
IMO the best area of Carrick is "Southern Carrick," aka Carrick near Brentwood (where Maytide St is located). Southern Carrick (excluding the isolated rough area mentioned above) has the potential to remain stable/safe/well kept, despite an influx of St. Clair Village residents, and a notable population of old fasioned yinzers. Again most of Carrick is relatively safe and quiet, but this area is the safest and quietest.

I would recommend you go with a property Brookline over one in Carrick any day of the week, but if you have to, Mayride St Carrick is safe enough for a short term house/apt (despite the neighborhood declining long term). So hypothetical Q & A-
Q: Carrick for a long term deal?
A: H*ll no!!!
Q: Currently safe section of Carrick for a short term deal?
A: Okay/it's livable...

Old 09-24-2013, 07:21 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
The drug problem in Carrick is so deep, it's sad. My mom has cleaned heroin needles from her garden before. I guess people just shoot up and toss them as they please. Hopefully that drug raid cleaned some of the issues up but honestly I don't see much of a difference. People will still steal anything that's not bolted down and I don't mean that figuratively.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:11 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elapidae18 View Post
To be honest we are in WPP (witness protection plan) and our cover has been blown. Time to find new digs.

Sincerely,

Henry Hill

Really they should not be relocating you to the city where your drug suppliers, that you narced out, were located
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh