Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 09:10 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

Bloomberg: NYC air quality cleanest in decades - Yahoo Finance

We only announce we have some of the worst air in the country. Ah well, can't have everything. I wonder how they translate that to hospital visits and such? If NYC saved that many with their air quality, one has to wonder how many visits we have considering we have some of the worst air in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 09:36 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,312 times
I think you should change the title of this thread to include something about "improving air quality"...

Here's a study I came across discussing the air quality of Pittsburgh and the link to health issues:

http://www.heinz.org/UserFiles/Libra...AirQuality.pdf

On page 18 of the report, they note that:

Quote:
Outdoor air quality for the Pittsburgh area has improved substantially over the past half-century, and air pollution emergencies such as the November 1975 episode discussed in the 1976 study by Stebbings et al., fortunately no longer occur.
I think if you read that quote in conjunction with what Mayor Bloomberg is saying, which undoubtedly has a political twist on it, the same could be said about Pittsburgh as is said about NYC that "air quality is cleanest in decades".

However, we still have a ways to go:

Quote:
But current air pollution levels in Pittsburgh still exceed national air quality standards and pose public health concerns.
Outdoor smoking bans and increased reliance on public transit and other alternative means of transportation (like bicycle), as well as an increase in the acceptance of more workers working from home, possibly with coordination among larger employers to reduce traffic density in a more systematic manner, could help further improve our air quality.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:22 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,403,390 times
Yea, well at least we have fatty foods, supersized drinks, hydrogenated oils, salt, guns and elevators.

Screw Bloomberg.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:46 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,049 times
Quote:
Keep talkin' 'bout the President won't stop air pollution
Put your hand on your mouth when you cough, that'll help the solution.
The Staples Singers, early '70s song Respect Yourself

Pittsburgh air isn't bad at all. Quit whining. Enough industry has been driven out already. Do you/they think China's pollution doesn't fall out over the USA??

Old 09-28-2013, 11:50 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
The Staples Singers, early '70s song Respect Yourself

Pittsburgh air isn't bad at all. Quit whining. Enough industry has been driven out already. Do you/they think China's pollution doesn't fall out over the USA??
How much of this is climate/geography related? We used to get horrid stagnant air in Eastern WA in winter when low cloud set in with no wind. It could last for a week or more sometimes before another weather system came in. And that was just a smallish town. Upside was it was beautiful sunny skiing in the mountains above the clouds.

The air seems decent to me, but not all those particulates are visible. I assume it's more than just car/population driven pollution?

Old 09-28-2013, 01:00 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
This is about as dumb of a post I have read in a while. Thanks for the laugh. Pittsburgh is one of the worst places to live for those that worry about pollution. "Quit whining"? BS. I will whine about it a lot, because it is horrible and needs much improved upon. China. It is like talking to some school kid that says, but Billy stole a candy bar, so I wanted to. Goodness, grow up.

Old 10-01-2013, 08:12 AM

252 posts, read 348,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Yea, well at least we have fatty foods, supersized drinks, hydrogenated oils, salt, guns and elevators.
Don't forget sitting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh