Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 11:31 AM

482 posts, read 1,229,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Citizens supporting fracking just shows yet another example of how extremely powerful propaganda can be.

Hey, there's this thing that degrades the quality of your life. However, the TV, radio, billboards, and print will be paid off to say that it doesn't. Guess you should believe them.

Citezens who don't support fracking just show yet another example of how extrememly powerful propaganda can be.

There's just as much anti propaganda as there is pro propaganda. God forbid one evaluates both sides and forms their own opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 11:34 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,346,124 times
I am not against it IN PRINCIPLE. I just don't want to hear any more of the propaganda regarding "America's Energy Independence a hundred years" blah blah blah.

If the oil companies were concerned about that they wouldn't be pushing so hard to sell it to Europe. There were not be a mad rush to get it out of the ground as quickly as manpower and technology allows if they were concerned with saving it. That was a crock all along, and it makes me doubt the other things as well.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:05 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,833,268 times
Well I cannot discuss my family's case specifically because of a gag order, but let's say that they are moving and it may or may not be due to fracking related pollution. The former family farm will soon be part of the fracking machine and they are moving to upstate NY to continue the family business. At least the gas company bought them out at a more than fair price, but it is a shame that some of my family is leaving the commonwealth.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:57 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,685,344 times
To go off the previous poster's post, let's just say I know a place where can actually light your water on fire like in Gasland but you're not aloud to talk about it. The people who live there may or may not have to get their water trucked in so that they can live. Rumor has it that they had their frack site guarded by armed security very deep in the woods.

But someone on the radio told me this is ok so I guess they're right.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:01 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,892,965 times
Quote:
Citizens supporting fracking just shows yet another example of how extremely powerful propaganda can be.

Hey, there's this thing that degrades the quality of your life. However, the TV, radio, billboards, and print will be paid off to say that it doesn't. Guess you should believe them.

Thanks!

I needed that assumption made about me. You have know idea what research and hands on experience I have that has led me to form this little thing known as a PERSONAL OPINION. You have yours, and I have mine.

I will sit around and think about mine in my warm house this winter while everyone who is against fracking sits around theirs wearing a tin foil hat worried about the sky falling or the earth quaking. (How about them assumptions?)

Old 10-03-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Thanks!

I needed that assumption made about me. You have know idea what research and hands on experience I have that has led me to form this little thing known as a PERSONAL OPINION. You have yours, and I have mine.

I will sit around and think about mine in my warm house this winter while everyone who is against fracking sits around theirs wearing a tin foil hat worried about the sky falling or the earth quaking. (How about them assumptions?)
Read my previous post. Guess when myself and my coworkers felt this it was because we were all wearing tin foil hats.

Then cover your head in the sand and pretend it's all ok.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:17 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,385,519 times
Quote:
Hey, there's this thing that degrades the quality of your life. However, the TV, radio, billboards, and print will be paid off to say that it doesn't.
Are you talking about fracking or our Federal Government? As far as degradation of the quality of my life, I think the latter is more damaging.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:28 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,073,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I'm opposed to fracking as it's being done now, but it's like third or fourth on my list of why I want to storm the capitol and tear it down.

1. Transit funding
2. Medicaid expansion
3. Liquor sales
4. Bridge repair/fracking.
Yeah um... I don't know if you realize this but none of those issues are going to matter a whip if everyone moves away or dies because of a polluted, radioactive water supply.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:13 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,795,636 times
You have to be very careful with anything discussing radioactivity as everything is radioactive, the ground in your backyard is radioactive. The question is whether those elevated levels are potentially harmful. I'm not familiar enough with radioactivity from fracking but I'm very familiar with this being used to fear monger with coal. Here's an example, note the addendum at the end of the article:

Coal Ash Is More Radioactive than Nuclear Waste: Scientific American

The fact is that granite counter top is just as dangerous and that is inside your home. This is an older chart, the amount of radiation exposure from medical procedures has greatly increased. Coal ash falls under "other".

Quote:
To go off the previous poster's post, let's just say I know a place where can actually light your water on fire like in Gasland but you're not aloud to talk about it.

Here's the director of Gasland admitting to knowing about historical documantation about methane in the water dating back to the 30's, in his words it's "irrelevant". It's very possible fracking has exacerbated the issue but it's a natural occurrence.

Gasland director hides full facts - YouTube

Old 10-03-2013, 02:23 PM

You realize that video was created and edited by the same guy who made the anti-Gasland documentary Fracknation right? He's also a climate change denier, put up pro-fracking billboards in our state, and who may have ties to the Koch Brothers. Not exactly an unbiased source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh