Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 05:07 PM

408 posts, read 607,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Tirade? Just like any other extreme religion they are pretty much like the Southern Baptists, or the wild right wing types hiding behind religion as they pull the trigger in private. I wouldn't call my post a tirade, but an obvious observation. Wearing the little hats and having strings hanging from oneself, is the same as having a coverup type thing going on with the muslims. Same area.
You said you would have wagered 80%, and you said you can distinguish them from others due to their little hats.

So what you're saying is 8 out of 10 people you see in Squirrel Hill are orthodox jews?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if your post was anti-semitic or if you're so ill-informed as to think all jews wore kippahs. Very

perplexing post indeed.

FYI there are no ''extreme religions'' just extreme branches to each religion. I despise religion I can understand your disdain, but it really did seem more like you were letting on about how you dislike Jewish people. Just know that many moderate jews have been active participants in the the push for secularism. Probably more so than moderates in any other religions.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:13 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
You said you would have wagered 80%, and you said you can distinguish them from others due to their little hats.

So what you're saying is 8 out of 10 people you see in Squirrel Hill are orthodox jews?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if your post was anti-semitic or if you're so ill-informed as to think all jews wore kippahs. Very

perplexing post indeed.
Yes, it looked as though 80% of the people walking around wore the superstitious outfit. I still see a lot of them around Shady. I guess it is like they want it. They want to be seen because they are announcing their religion with some superstitious clothing. Is there any other way to look at a certain clothing within a religion? Sorry, but being a Presbyterian, we refer to such things as superstitions. I really don't understand how else to look at such things. Same goest with Muslims covering up and whatever else there is out there.

Anyway, I am not sure how this got off topic? This was more about race I guess. Why is Pittsburgh "so white"? I don't think Pittsburgh is that white. It is a melting pot of a bunch of different cultures. Lets get back on topic.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:14 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Sooooo wish I could rep you for that!
Awwww...maybe someone else will get it.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:23 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,421 times
Quote:
Tirade? Just like any other <b>extreme religion,</B> they are pretty much like the Southern Baptists, or the wild right wing types hiding behind religion as they pull the trigger in private. I wouldn't call my post a tirade, but an obvious observation. Wearing the little hats and having strings hanging from oneself, is the same as having a coverup type thing going on with the muslims. Same area.
Please do yourself a favor and do one of two things:

1. Learn about Judaism, Sikhism, or any of a legion of religions or cultures in which there is a traditional or required style of dress. Learn to understand what meaning is behind these things, then you might understand the difference between a yarmulke and a hijab and how different they are from each other. A good way of doing this is to actually talk to a member of that religion. If you want to know why Jews wear those funny little hats, just ask one. They will probably answer you. Perhaps seek out a Rabbi or two to ensure deep knowledge on the subject.

2. Stop commenting on things you do not understand. It will make you look less foolish.

My preference is for #1.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:25 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,421 times
Quote:
Sorry, but being a Presbyterian, we refer to such things as superstitions.
Presbyterians have no superstitions, but Jews and Muslims do?

Old 10-07-2013, 05:32 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Please do yourself a favor and do one of two things:

1. Learn about Judaism, Sikhism, or any of a legion of religions or cultures in which there is a traditional or required style of dress. Learn to understand what meaning is behind these things, then you might understand the difference between a yarmulke and a hijab and how different they are from each other. A good way of doing this is to actually talk to a member of that religion. If you want to know why Jews wear those funny little hats, just ask one. They will probably answer you. Perhaps seek out a Rabbi or two to ensure deep knowledge on the subject.

2. Stop commenting on things you do not understand. It will make you look less foolish.

My preference is for #1.
Curt revels (or perhaps even kvells) in his ignorance. The fact he referred to them as "little hats" and not yarmulkes is telling in and of itself. I won't even bother trying to explain the differences between Orthodoxy, Conservatism, and Reform, much less humdingers like Reconstructionism and Hasids/Lubivitchers. Curt also fails to realize that the Ultra/Orthodox notwithstanding, the median American Jew is extremely progressive, both theologically and politically--much more so than the median Presbyterian, however superstition-less that faith may be.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:43 PM
gg

Funny how protected classes get such treatment. Goodness. What year is this? YES, they are view as superstitions in the Presbyterian Church, which is my religion. It isn't a protected one of course, but it would be nice if it was at least viewed as an opinion and not moronically called ignorant. Look up the Presbyterian religion and do some reading on it. I don't think anyone would call any of them uneducated. That is a very big part of the religion, but I digress.

I think this has gotten off topic a bit much. Sure the topic is a bit silly. Looking at the color of one's skin and thinking about culture. Really? Talk about backwards.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:45 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Presbyterians have no superstitions, but Jews and Muslims do?
As far as clothing goes, you are correct. Presbyterians, Episcopalians certainly don't need to wear such garb for superstitious reason. Call it what it is please. What else can you call it?

Old 10-07-2013, 05:53 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Funny how protected classes get such treatment. Goodness. What year is this? YES, they are view as superstitions in the Presbyterian Church, which is my religion. It isn't a protected one of course, but it would be nice if it was at least viewed as an opinion and not moronically called ignorant. Look up the Presbyterian religion and do some reading on it. I don't think anyone would call any of them uneducated. That is a very big part of the religion, but I digress.

I think this has gotten off topic a bit much. Sure the topic is a bit silly. Looking at the color of one's skin and thinking about culture. Really? Talk about backwards.
Of course there are uneducated Presbyterians. There are quite a few Presbyterian sects in the US, each ranging from very conservative to very liberal. I have no problem with Presbyterians, just your laughably ignorant comments about Jews. The ones with the "little hats" are a tiny minority. Your median Jew is about halfway between an Episcopalian and a Unitarian Universalist as far as beliefs and politics go.

And no superstitions? Let's start with the very basic belief that a (Jewish!) carpenter died on the cross for your sins over 2,000 years ago; after three days that carpenter was resurrected. Did I forget to mention that he was the son of God?

In my view, the very concept of a higher power is a superstition, just in case you think I'm singling out the poor Presbys.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:55 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
I still see a lot of them around Shady.
Even though the Giant Eagle in on Murray?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh