Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 08:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
Pittsburgh had, and still does have for that matter, direct rail service from New York. Direct is the key word. In order to get here from the deep south, you had to go to another major city, and then transfer. While this obviously didn't stop everybody, it added to the expense of coming here, and made the trip more difficult. This acted as a drag on the numbers of blacks who came here. Also keep in mind that numbers in the city are likely lower because of the many mill towns that surround Pittsburgh. These towns siphoned off many migrants that in other areas would have settled in the city. Boston is the only other metro that is even remotely set up like Pittsburgh, with a bunch of mill towns surrounding the main city.
Lots of Germans settled in Milwaukee, which required, from NYC, a train trip to Chicago, then a transfer and another trip to Milwaukee. I have no idea how my DH's grandfather got from NYC to Omaha, let alone Oakland, NE where he settled, but it wasn't a direct trip, I'm sure of that. Yet many Swedes made that trip, also to Minneapolis. Not to mention that all of these trips bypassed many other cities along the way. People choose their destinations in mysterious ways.

As far as the mill towns, most are whiter by far than Pittsburgh. In Beaver County, the only towns with significant black populations are Aliquippa and Beaver Falls. Unfortunately, the Census Bureau website is down d/t the govt. shutdown.

There apparently wasn't enough of an attraction to Pittsburgh.

Google Image Result for http://www.history-map.com/picture/003/pictures/Official-Railroad-Map.jpg

Old 10-06-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Give him a break. Just look up zman63 and pghdude28's posts in any thread (they lurk together always) and you'll see why they get this response. They are trolls - pure and simple - who claim every ill for Pittsburgh is worse than anywhere else, even though they haven't actually lived anywhere else. Odd that, really.

It'd be very funny if it wasn't so sad.
OTOH, "he" is a poster who can't tolerate any criticism of Pittsburgh. If someone says, "the traffic in Pgh is awful", he says, "it's that way everywhere". Now, this is true, but so what? If someone wants to discuss Pittsburgh-specific traffic issues, it doesn't matter that traffic is as bad or worse in some other city. And so on. To add " Seriously, I'm not the only one recommending that you do so. " is a personal remark which is supposedly against the TOS, though you'd never know it to see many posts.

I post on some other city threads as well, and the retort, "If you don't like it here get the **** out", which was probably not the "H" word b/c that makes it through CD's filters, is not so commonly seen. I for one welcome a "see ourselves as others see us" view at times.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:09 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
This is exactly the close minded attitude that will keep Pittsburgh from making the transition from "good" city to "great" city..."if you don't see everything my way, get the h*** out of here". That is the antithesis of the First Amendment btw. Your sick attitude is exactly the opposite of what the Founding Fathers envisioned. Hope you are happy spewing that venom from your mother's basement. Have a nice day.
You obviously don't frequent the Pittsburgh forum. That poster is the biggest debbie downer of unbacked facts I've ever seen. A good 50% of posters on our forum don't even respond to him because he posts random articles saying how bad Pittsburgh and western PA is. If he was on city-city he'd explain to you how much better Baghdad is than Pittsburgh.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:45 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
This is exactly the close minded attitude that will keep Pittsburgh from making the transition from "good" city to "great" city..."if you don't see everything my way, get the h*** out of here". That is the antithesis of the First Amendment btw. Your sick attitude is exactly the opposite of what the Founding Fathers envisioned. Hope you are happy spewing that venom from your mother's basement. Have a nice day.
Actually, sweetheart, my post is what the First Amendment is all about. If people have the right to make **** up on a public internet forum, then I have the right to blast them for it, especially when they've a) made a disturbing habit of it, and b) completely ignored any and all evidence that stands contrary to their opinions.

And my advice goes for anybody who lives anywhere they don't like: LEAVE. There's no sense in staying someplace that makes you miserable, especially when you start dragging down everybody else around you. Besides, Pittsburgh ain't so desperate for people to stay anymore since more people are moving in now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
..."he" is a poster who can't tolerate any criticism of Pittsburgh. If someone says, "the traffic in Pgh is awful", he says, "it's that way everywhere". Now, this is true, but so what? If someone wants to discuss Pittsburgh-specific traffic issues, it doesn't matter that traffic is as bad or worse in some other city. And so on. To add " Seriously, I'm not the only one recommending that you do so. " is a personal remark which is supposedly against the TOS, though you'd never know it to see many posts.
No, I just can't tolerate bull**** like what you've just tried to portray.

First of all, if we're going to talk about traffic problems in Pittsburgh, who's been the one beating the drum for the elimination of half the 'NO TURN ON RED' intersections in the city? Who's been most adamant for the Cattle Chutes East and Cattle Chutes West to be widened and upgraded to modern Interstate standards? Oh yeah.

Second of all, you're the last person on this entire website to encourage anybody to talk about anything subject-specific, considering you've derailed a countless number of topics yourself by getting lost on some minor detail about what somebody said that you disagree with, even if the general idea of their posts is accurate. And it's not just on the Pittsburgh forum that this happens either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I post on some other city threads as well, and the retort, "If you don't like it here get the **** out", which was probably not the "H" word b/c that makes it through CD's filters, is not so commonly seen. I for one welcome a "see ourselves as others see us" view at times.
It's probably not commonly seen on other forums because they're more than likely not dealing simultaneously, daily, with two miserable *******s who blame whatever misfortune they have in their lives on where they live. Or if it is a problem on another forum, then it's more than likely to have either a much larger volume of user traffic to effectively drown the misery out, or barely any user traffic at all because the inmates have driven away all the normal people who used to post there.

By the way, if I pretended to live in Denver and posted daily about how miserable I was there, and how miserable Denver supposedly is, they'd start telling me to get lost too. Don't even pretend otherwise. For that matter, why not move to the South and then start bitching about how things aren't done the same way as where you came from, and see what people have to say about that? There's a bumper sticker that says "We don't care how you did it up North!" for a reason.

One of my biggest criticisms of Pittsburgh, since you seem to think I have none, was illustrated succinctly in the Pittsburgh City Paper about 12 years ago: "You wanna know what I hate most about Pittsburgh? Pittsburghers who won't shut up about how much they hate Pittsburgh." And that brings my argument full-circle: if you don't like where you live, then don't live there anymore. LEAVE.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:28 AM

419 posts, read 551,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
You obviously don't frequent the Pittsburgh forum. That poster is the biggest debbie downer of unbacked facts I've ever seen. A good 50% of posters on our forum don't even respond to him because he posts random articles saying how bad Pittsburgh and western PA is. If he was on city-city he'd explain to you how much better Baghdad is than Pittsburgh.
In my own personal life, I've defended Pittsburgh against some unfair criticisms. This is a Pittsburgh specific forum. There needs to be a healthy balance of varied viewpoints or else this region does not grow. You have ever right to voice your opinion on here. People get bent out of shape over negative criticisms of Pittsburgh. Some of us stretch the negativity out to counteract the ridiculous fluff and silver linings of some hardcore cheerleaders.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:36 AM

419 posts, read 551,746 times
Quote:
It is indeed. There are definitely uncontrollable factors that I think suck about Pittsburgh (e.g.the weather). But if other things can be improved, then the uncontrollable factors are minor and Pittsburgh overall would be a great place to live for me. When the controllable factors suck, then it's like living in a shoe box. Unfortunately, people just can't get up and move as easily as some suggest here. Moving costs $$. It's a big decision.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:39 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
People who don't live in Pittsburgh telling people to leave Pittsburgh if they don't like it. lol

Old 10-06-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
In my own personal life, I've defended Pittsburgh against some unfair criticisms. This is a Pittsburgh specific forum. There needs to be a healthy balance of varied viewpoints or else this region does not grow. You have ever right to voice your opinion on here. People get bent out of shape over negative criticisms of Pittsburgh. Some of us stretch the negativity out to counteract the ridiculous fluff and silver linings of some hardcore cheerleaders.
Ditto, also on some of the other forums here on CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
People who don't live in Pittsburgh telling people to leave Pittsburgh if they don't like it. lol
+1!

Old 10-06-2013, 12:14 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Give him a break. Just look up zman63 and pghdude28's posts in any thread (they lurk together always) and you'll see why they get this response. They are trolls - pure and simple - who claim every ill for Pittsburgh is worse than anywhere else, even though they haven't actually lived anywhere else. Odd that, really.

It'd be very funny if it wasn't so sad.
I did not read all of the posts or their history. If they keep repeating, just ignore it (easier said than done I realize).

Old 10-06-2013, 12:18 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Actually, sweetheart, my post is what the First Amendment is all about. If people have the right to make **** up on a public internet forum, then I have the right to blast them for it, especially when they've a) made a disturbing habit of it, and b) completely ignored any and all evidence that stands contrary to their opinions.

And my advice goes for anybody who lives anywhere they don't like: LEAVE. There's no sense in staying someplace that makes you miserable, especially when you start dragging down everybody else around you. Besides, Pittsburgh ain't so desperate for people to stay anymore since more people are moving in now.

No, I just can't tolerate bull**** like what you've just tried to portray.

First of all, if we're going to talk about traffic problems in Pittsburgh, who's been the one beating the drum for the elimination of half the 'NO TURN ON RED' intersections in the city? Who's been most adamant for the Cattle Chutes East and Cattle Chutes West to be widened and upgraded to modern Interstate standards? Oh yeah.

Second of all, you're the last person on this entire website to encourage anybody to talk about anything subject-specific, considering you've derailed a countless number of topics yourself by getting lost on some minor detail about what somebody said that you disagree with, even if the general idea of their posts is accurate. And it's not just on the Pittsburgh forum that this happens either.

It's probably not commonly seen on other forums because they're more than likely not dealing simultaneously, daily, with two miserable *******s who blame whatever misfortune they have in their lives on where they live. Or if it is a problem on another forum, then it's more than likely to have either a much larger volume of user traffic to effectively drown the misery out, or barely any user traffic at all because the inmates have driven away all the normal people who used to post there.

By the way, if I pretended to live in Denver and posted daily about how miserable I was there, and how miserable Denver supposedly is, they'd start telling me to get lost too. Don't even pretend otherwise. For that matter, why not move to the South and then start bitching about how things aren't done the same way as where you came from, and see what people have to say about that? There's a bumper sticker that says "We don't care how you did it up North!" for a reason.

One of my biggest criticisms of Pittsburgh, since you seem to think I have none, was illustrated succinctly in the Pittsburgh City Paper about 12 years ago: "You wanna know what I hate most about Pittsburgh? Pittsburghers who won't shut up about how much they hate Pittsburgh." And that brings my argument full-circle: if you don't like where you live, then don't live there anymore. LEAVE.
We still agree to disagree and I will apologize and rescind the "mother's basement" sentence. That was uncalled for...sorry. Sometimes we need to count to ten before responding. I still stand by my viewpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh