Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2013, 12:13 PM

6 posts, read 6,684 times

Advertisements

Is Press Ganey effective? Or is it making health care providers bow to patients by running too many tests, over prescribing? And how do doctors receive their scores? Do doctors have reviews where these scores are brought up?

Old 10-06-2013, 04:35 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Press Ganey's business is conducting patient satisfaction surveys. Hospitals like them because press Ganey allows the hospital to manipulate the results to make themselves look good. I'm a former hospital executive and I can tell you that at the hospitals where I worked, the number one objective of the patient satisfaction survey was to use it to advertise to to the board and the public that the hospital, and especially the CEO, was doing a great job.

I would tend not to agree that Press Ganey satisfaction surveys are making health care providers bow to patients by running too many tests or over prescribing.

Doctors scores depend on whether they work for a practice that is owned by a hospital or health system. The health system is most interested in whether the physician practice is making money and referring enough business to the hospital. Patient satisfaction is looked at but is secondary to profitability.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:58 PM

328 posts, read 839,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Press Ganey's business is conducting patient satisfaction surveys. Hospitals like them because press Ganey allows the hospital to manipulate the results to make themselves look good. I'm a former hospital executive and I can tell you that at the hospitals where I worked, the number one objective of the patient satisfaction survey was to use it to advertise to to the board and the public that the hospital, and especially the CEO, was doing a great job.

I would tend not to agree that Press Ganey satisfaction surveys are making health care providers bow to patients by running too many tests or over prescribing.

Doctors scores depend on whether they work for a practice that is owned by a hospital or health system. The health system is most interested in whether the physician practice is making money and referring enough business to the hospital. Patient satisfaction is looked at but is secondary to profitability.
Couldn't resist replying to this gem

I work for a billing office at a hospital in Seattle and can say that Press Ganey also conducts staff satisfaction scores. Couple of observations:

-Scoring is based on a five point scale with Always at one end and Never at the other.
-Managers are pressured to ensure everyone takes the survey, even offering parties to the groups that
meet 100% participation.
-Employees either pressured or "encouraged" will generally give neutral answers to most questions in an
attempt to complete the survey. No real thought goes into the questions asked.
-The questions are usually worded in ways that leave a lot to interpretation. When we drill down into the
answers, we find that employees were either confused by the questions or just through indifference
gave neutral answers.

I don't have direct patient contact so I'm not familiar with the patient survey. However, considering how weak the staff survey is, it would not surprise me at all that the patient data would be woefully lacking. I think Press Ganey and other like firms are the only ones getting any real value pushing these surveys. In value, I mean $$.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh