Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 06:57 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,802,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
I still can't get over the fact that a huge part of Onorato's downfall was losing Allegheny County, solely because people were still holding petty grudges about the stupid drink tax.
Rightfully so. That drink tax is a disgrace. Penalizing one industry like that should be against the law. Everyone pays, not just restaurants and bars. It is BS and he got what he deserved. Corbett is doing betting in some ways, but he really needs to get with the times. Of course this is PA. We still have state stores only. Pretty sad. He tried to change that, but no dice. This state is pretty embarrassing without Corbett.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 08:42 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,896,911 times
I personally feel like wanting to know of those religious folks what makes them think humans are #1 and if they even believe in other sentient beings outside our own galaxy. if so, don't you think this higher being busy dealing with them over us,humans,who have been alive for only a few K?

as a star wars geek I feel the uptight religious folks, especially stuck in the past, are more akin to the sith. ultimatums only.
I don't see how letting gay folks be happy impedes in your success, if only they would buy into your bs is you went with them. But politicians only listen to the smaller groups instead of the whole which is shown by the approval of congress.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:18 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,389,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Rightfully so. That drink tax is a disgrace. Penalizing one industry like that should be against the law. Everyone pays, not just restaurants and bars. It is BS and he got what he deserved. Corbett is doing betting in some ways, but he really needs to get with the times. Of course this is PA. We still have state stores only. Pretty sad. He tried to change that, but no dice. This state is pretty embarrassing without Corbett.
Pa is honestly a joke. Outside of philly and the suburban counties that surround it the rest of the state is meaningless outside of the commonwealth. Change, presidential election victories, progressive thinking come out of philly. If you cut philly out of pa it might as well be called northern alabama or arkansas. Pittsburgh and w pa dems are democrat in name only. Pitt metro is one of the most conservative and backwards metros in the country. Not surprising corbett is an old white overweight gay bashing yinzer.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:30 AM

876 posts, read 1,139,208 times
Ah yes, Philadelphia, home of that great progressive leader, Frank Rizzo. A true visionary, that one...

Old 10-05-2013, 12:33 AM

876 posts, read 1,139,208 times
Is there any way to convince Corbett that gay marriage is good for the natural gas industry? Or, conversely, maybe he can be convinced that fracking is actually a homosexual plot designed to destroy Traditional Family Values. I mean, the whole process is a tad bit homoerotic when you think about it...

Old 10-05-2013, 06:14 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,233,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
Is there any way to convince Corbett that gay marriage is good for the natural gas industry? Or, conversely, maybe he can be convinced that fracking is actually a homosexual plot designed to destroy Traditional Family Values. I mean, the whole process is a tad bit homoerotic when you think about it...
phallic symbols sent from the devil to pollute our landscape - there's mileage in this line of argument

Old 10-05-2013, 12:20 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,547,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Pa is honestly a joke. Outside of philly and the suburban counties that surround it the rest of the state is meaningless outside of the commonwealth. Change, presidential election victories, progressive thinking come out of philly. If you cut philly out of pa it might as well be called northern alabama or arkansas. Pittsburgh and w pa dems are democrat in name only. Pitt metro is one of the most conservative and backwards metros in the country. Not surprising corbett is an old white overweight gay bashing yinzer.
Completely wrong. Try visiting North Carolina. I was in Raleigh this past weekend. Two of my close friends live there. As I always say, it's Cranberry on steroids. Point is, it was "Pride" this past weekend. Raleigh-Durham Pride is about the size of a small town's carnival. It's held in Durham, it receives ZERO media attention, there are no big name performances, etc. In Pittsburgh, Pride goes hand-in-hand with the Arts Festival, it's covered by the media outlets, these past two years, radio stations have been advertising it like anything else due to the big name performers that have been headlining, etc. Corporate sponsorship grows yearly. That is not conservative and backward. North Carolina on the other hand, voted to ban same-sex marriage by a 61 - 39 margin in 2012. Trust me, Pittsburgh is hardly conservative and backward compared to many places which you've praised in other threads.

Read my earlier post. The government of the city of Pittsburgh has done leaps and bounds for the gay community in particular.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:43 PM

419 posts, read 548,811 times
Quote:
Thank you. Pittsburgh is more or less the progressive, urban metropolis of rural Pennsylvania. Basically Altoona on steroids. Philadelphia is more in line socially with New York, DC, and the I 95 corridor. The social culture of Philly is day and night compared to 90% of PA. What really unites Philly and Pgh is the strong union mentality. Other than that, Philly is a watered down or wanna-be New York and Pittsburgh is the urban version of rural, mountainous PA. Pittsburgh may be moderate, but progressive? LOL. Outside the city, it's nothing but traditional families. Western/Central/Northeastern PA are not places for singles to move to or for people living non-traditional, alternative lifestyles (e.g. Same sex couples). Corbett's words resonate with the masses here. Backwards, yes. But definitely the mindset here.

Old 10-05-2013, 04:37 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,547,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
Thank you. Pittsburgh is more or less the progressive, urban metropolis of rural Pennsylvania. Basically Altoona on steroids. Philadelphia is more in line socially with New York, DC, and the I 95 corridor. The social culture of Philly is day and night compared to 90% of PA. What really unites Philly and Pgh is the strong union mentality. Other than that, Philly is a watered down or wanna-be New York and Pittsburgh is the urban version of rural, mountainous PA. Pittsburgh may be moderate, but progressive? LOL. Outside the city, it's nothing but traditional families. Western/Central/Northeastern PA are not places for singles to move to or for people living non-traditional, alternative lifestyles (e.g. Same sex couples). Corbett's words resonate with the masses here. Backwards, yes. But definitely the mindset here.
Ahh I forgot, it's like SO much better elsewhere and other cities are like Atlantis and Pittsburgh is just this horribly depressed hole. Move to North Carolina. You and zman in a few other threads were in agreement that the job market and pretty much everything else was so super extra spectacular in a place like Raleigh or Charlotte.

In regards to the bolded statement, you're wrong.
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-shows-689291/

Thanks for reminding us all how much Pittsburgh "sucks" aka, ruining yet another thread with unfounded, personal negativity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited by youngabe; 10-05-2013 at 04:49 PM..

Old 10-05-2013, 05:15 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,105,722 times
Quote:
Expect Corbett grew up in and is from the Philly Metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh