Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 06:28 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
white-trash-oriented hatred.
The irony of using a slur in the course of randomly speculating, to condemn people who use slurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2013, 06:29 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
The irony of using a slur in the course of randomly speculating, to condemn people who use slurs.
Yeah, but that large group of people over there that aren't like me . . . they all unfairly stereotype people!

Old 10-11-2013, 08:14 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Alright. Fine. People who use gay slurs to demean or belittle one another aren't white trash. Happy?

Old 10-11-2013, 08:23 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
Dude, that's what Internet forums are for. Get real ....

Old 10-13-2013, 02:13 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Once again, I'll reiterate that there is NO acceptable venue to use a gay slur, even if you're not directing it at a gay person in particular. When someone says something like "that's so gay" or "that's so retarded" (as a point of comparison) I immediately question their intellect. I further question it when they have the nerve to call one another "f-lag" as some sort of sick way of demeaning one another's masculinity or "bro"-hood. If Ben was beaten because he "dared" challenge these nearby bro-skis as they "innocently" called each other gay slurs to get a rise out of one another, then he remains a hero in my eyes. I've nearly been involved in numerous fights myself since moving here as I've similarly challenged people whom I deemed were being egregiously bigoted or racist (usually the old-school "yinzer" types that h_curtis thinks I should harbor endearment towards).

If we don't tolerate white people using the "n"-word when discussing African-Americans, then why do we tolerate heterosexuals using gay slurs when discussing homosexuals?

Our economy is on the brink of collapse, our government is enduring a shutdown, and we're still concerned about "Adam & Eve vs. Adam & Steve" in this country? It's deplorable.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:51 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
I don't think anyone is condoning the use of said slur but rather pointing out the stupidity of putting oneself in an explosive situation at 2am among drunk people for overhearing something in earshot that has nothing to do with oneself.

All of that is immaterial though and the only pertinent fact would be who started the physical part of the altercation & that person should be charged whichever party they are.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:03 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I don't think anyone is condoning the use of said slur but rather pointing out the stupidity of putting oneself in an explosive situation at 2am among drunk people for overhearing something in earshot that has nothing to do with oneself.

All of that is immaterial though and the only pertinent fact would be who started the physical part of the altercation & that person should be charged whichever party they are.
Well stated. If a gay person can't stand hearing *** or gay or whatever, then they should stay home. There is a real world out there not fantasy land. People are going to use words of all types in a bunch of different circles. If you want to confront them, you better be ready for whatever comes your way. Especially at that hour at night when people have been drinking. Seems this gay thug picked on the wrong person and go his butt kicked. Live with it.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:24 PM

9,336 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
No one has ANY idea who most people are on here and no one knows who's opinion is correct or partially correct. SW, has every right to post an opinion and he/she certainly doesn't need to prove anything. What proof do you have about any of it? NONE! What proof does SCR have on this matter? NONE! Yet, SCR states his comments as some fact. Yeah right!

Keep posting Sober. You are probably the only one on here that knows what happened and you probably are totally correct! Go get em.
You're right that it's not beyond the realm of possibility that Sober Witness was actually there to see what happened. That said, don't you find it a bit pecular that a witness would take it upon himself to join a geography-centric message board just so he can tell us what really went down?

Quote:
Because it was the hate crime part of the media. You know the buzz words! Lets hype this story up so Burger King or whoever gets excited to pay more for their advertising spot. Doesn't anyone see this stuff at all? The people involved are just being used as a platform. It is amazing how people act towards this stuff. One would think people would catch on at some point, but Jay and SCR are all excited. They can promote their own agenda. Goodness, how sad this has become!
And we now know that Curt considers human rights an "agenda," not that I'm the least bit suprirsed.

Quote:
Well stated. If a gay person can't stand hearing *** or gay or whatever, then they should stay home. There is a real world out there not fantasy land. People are going to use words of all types in a bunch of different circles. If you want to confront them, you better be ready for whatever comes your way. Especially at that hour at night when people have been drinking. Seems this gay thug picked on the wrong person and go his butt kicked. Live with it.
Even if he did verbally "provoke" his attacker, assault is assault. But given your labeling of him as a "gay thug," it seems you've already made up your mind.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:45 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post

Even if he did verbally "provoke" his attacker, assault is assault. But given your labeling of him as a "gay thug," it seems you've already made up your mind.
Come on Heaven. You are smarter than that. I am showing an alternative to the dumb hyped up media that people are falling for ALL the time. My showing of this is for the greater good and has more to do with a real perspective of the world we are living in, than just this little bar fight that is hyped up to total silliness. Look at SCR reaction. He isn't going to any bars in Lawrenceville until these "meatheads" are caught. What if the gay thug provoked this crap at 2:00AM? This is a total waste and it is just more crap that gives Lawrenceville a bad name.

Anyway, I don't care one way or the other. I am too old for Lawrenceville for the most part and wouldn't be out late night anymore. If I got into a fight I might break a hip or something.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:28 PM

9,336 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Come on Heaven. You are smarter than that. I am showing an alternative to the dumb hyped up media that people are falling for ALL the time. My showing of this is for the greater good and has more to do with a real perspective of the world we are living in, than just this little bar fight that is hyped up to total silliness. Look at SCR reaction. He isn't going to any bars in Lawrenceville until these "meatheads" are caught. What if the gay thug provoked this crap at 2:00AM? This is a total waste and it is just more crap that gives Lawrenceville a bad name.

Anyway, I don't care one way or the other. I am too old for Lawrenceville for the most part and wouldn't be out late night anymore. If I got into a fight I might break a hip or something.
You've concluded that he's a thug. I haven't said anything definitive one way or the other. My first instinct is to sympathize with the alleged victim, but I do recognize that there's two sides to a story and more information will come out leading up to the trial.

Quote:
I do want to point out a phone number was given on here from Sober. Think about it. What has SCR given? Nothing? Jay? Nothing. Seems he/she has stepped up to a plate that none of us have done. I am more apt to believe him after that. The gay agenda people have just that. An agenda. The media? Ratings. This guy that gave a phone number? Hard to say, but he threw it out there. How about giving him a call SCR. I don't really care one way or the other, but am very tired of the crap people are falling for. Agenda after agenda! Goodness!
Vey iz meer.

And a cell phone number proves nothing. That could be anybody's number, especially since it's an out-of-state area code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh