Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 07:22 PM

802 posts, read 1,315,426 times

Advertisements

Is the old Allegheny Center Mall close to The Priory? When I stayed there a few years ago, I remember walking around the neighborhood, and seeing a building that I thought was ugly as hell.

I did like the part of Ohio Street that was still there. It must have been nice before most of it was demolished to make way for I-279.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 07:27 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,729,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
Is the old Allegheny Center Mall close to The Priory? When I stayed there a few years ago, I remember walking around the neighborhood, and seeing a building that I thought was ugly as hell.

I did like the part of Ohio Street that was still there. It must have been nice before most of it was demolished to make way for I-279.
what they did to the northside is criminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
There is not much that can be done about the underpasses. At least they have been spruced up with new painting and better lighting in recent years to make them more attractive. The idea for these underpasses to be fixed up was to give people a better entry and a more attractive neighborhood to spill into be it by accident or not. Once you pass through the revamped underpass on Federal, the old mall says "TURN AROUND. THERE IS NOTHING HERE OF INTEREST! Sprucing up underpasses will not mean a hill of beans to the Central North Side if we do not re-connect Federal and eventually Ohio Street.
excellent point, the picture I posted earlier was an underpass that was redone to encourage people to walk to this new park

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/ima...eet/race01.jpg

Old 10-09-2013, 10:01 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
what they did to the northside is criminal

excellent point, the picture I posted earlier was an underpass that was redone to encourage people to walk to this new park

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/ima...eet/race01.jpg
Is that the Schuykill or the Delaware?

Old 10-09-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
Is that the Schuykill or the Delaware?
the delaware, that's 95 in the picture. the red brick building is being converted to a bar/music venue

Old 10-09-2013, 10:21 AM

567 posts, read 1,155,827 times
Reconnecting Federal St is supposed to be part of the vision for Allegheny Center's future.

See this 2010 thread "Efforts underway to start reversing Allegheny Center disaster" and the plan by an urban design team

Old 10-09-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Boston's I-93 carries at least 3-4x the amount of traffic this stretch of highway does in Pittsburgh, it seems.

A far less expensive and perhaps more pleasant plan could turn this stretch (and perhaps Rt 65 through Manchester as well) into a boulevard.

San Fransisco did a similar thing with Octavia Blvd and the Embarcadero, both replacements for removed elevated freeways themselves.

The train tracks here do present another issue, though...

Old 10-09-2013, 10:38 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,875,553 times
In general, I don't see this happening for another decade. Pittsburgh is putting all it's effort into fixing East Liberty right now it seems. Homeowners buying and restoring properties aren't going to do much more for the North Side than they already have - the nicer parts are already as or more expensive than South Side Flats or Lawrenceville as it is, despite the issues the area has with a lack of vibrant commercial corridors.

Don't get me wrong, the North Side is getting better and better. I may just live there next year. But homeowner-led gentrification has taken its logical course, and there's only so much developer money to go around.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In general, I don't see this happening for another decade.
A decade isn't really that long for a project like this. It'd be good to start the momentum and planning now so, assuming things go right, this could be reality in 15 years and not 25.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:41 AM

those things are unfunded so the question is, what is most important to fund and are there any affordable workarounds in the meantime? I'd put federal st much higher in importance than ohio street (which can at least be traversed on foot or bike). some of the perimeter surface lots could be developed to add density.

let's also think about what happens when you get past the underpass. a crappy little post office on one side that replaced a grand old train station and a surface lot on the other. perhaps these two parcels should be targeted for development.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:43 AM

14,360 posts, read 16,875,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
A far less expensive and perhaps more pleasant plan could turn this stretch (and perhaps Rt 65 through Manchester as well) into a boulevard.
My understanding is they are planning on converting 65 into a boulevard at some point in the future.

I wish they routed the highway across the river where the 10th Street bypwass is honestly. You could have made the Veteran's bridge bigger, and had lanes curl off in the Lower Strip and hug the Allegheny shore until you hit the Fort Duquense Bridge. The highway would be below the street elevation and thus not screwed with people's view of the rivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh