Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 06:27 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,261 times

Advertisements

I rarely listen to commercial radio. I have Sirius/XM and when I'm not listening to that, I have the TuneIn app on my tablet. It offers all kinds of music and is much better, at least to me, than I Heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 07:23 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
I haven't tried this yet but you can piece together your own "talk radio" of sorts on your smartphone with the Stitcher app. Some of the sources are actual radio but others are podcasts. Listen to over 15,000+ radio shows and podcasts on demand from any device | Radio On Demand

I used to listen to some AM talk but haven't in ages, 10 years or so really.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:30 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,133 times
I love radio and I listen to NPR and sports talk radio every day of the week.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:45 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
13Q used to have a contest where if they called your house and you answered by saying "I listen to the new sound of 13Q," you won some money. My parents had to finally tell my brother and me to stop answering the phone that way.

I still listen to the radio: mostly WQED-FM, WESA-FM, and WYEP (all public radio) and I support them with a contribution. Sometimes if I'm in the car during the day I turn on KDKA-AM, but it's all talk radio that just tries to fire up the old people (who else would listen to AM radio in the middle of the day?)

Anyone remember WYDD? Free-form album rock. I think the DJs just put an album on and smoked pot. Ahhh, the 70s....

Old 10-14-2013, 11:59 AM

252 posts, read 348,157 times
I listen to NPR a little, but that's it. I find most of the music on the radio to not be very interesting, and when it is (WPTS and CMU's radio stations tend to play neat stuff), I often don't know what I was listening to anyway. As a very research oriented music listener, I find this frustrating.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:49 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grep View Post
I listen to NPR a little, but that's it. I find most of the music on the radio to not be very interesting, and when it is (WPTS and CMU's radio stations tend to play neat stuff), I often don't know what I was listening to anyway. As a very research oriented music listener, I find this frustrating.
WRCT often makes its playlist available online. As I write this, you should be hearing something from this list: WRCT: 5 out of 4 dentists recommend // Playlist

(I'm not listening now, btw.)

Old 10-14-2013, 01:28 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Radio for music is almost useless these days unless there are some little indie stations. WYEP has too tight of a format for me as in the parts which I don't like, although they do play some things that I would like. I find I'm better off cueing up a Pandora station of my own devising. I ditched Sirius several years ago, even that is not variety enough in music. There's a variety overall but any individual station that I listened to had too much of the same.

You guys should look up X-15 for an interesting later local experiment in AM music radio.

I do listen directly to radio at morning wake up and evening drive, but I am listening to WESA/NPR at those times.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:29 PM

252 posts, read 348,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
WRCT often makes its playlist available online. As I write this, you should be hearing something from this list: WRCT: 5 out of 4 dentists recommend // Playlist

(I'm not listening now, btw.)
I didn't know that, thank you so much for sharing!

Old 10-15-2013, 12:10 AM

706 posts, read 1,048,685 times
How can anybody in Pittsburgh listen to anything but that legend of a rock station, WDVE.? I mean, if you want to hear indie bands and more avant garde stuff, DVE is ticket. Their variety is awesome. This is the station Pittsburgh hipsters are loyal to, so they can catch that hot new band, or even a more obscure band from the past where they can rummage through the old records at Jerry's hoping to find that old Young Fresh Fellows or Guadalcanal Diary album that WDVE introduced them to. The Pittsburgh music scene begins and ends with DVD. Oh and their skits are so mature and funny. They are geared towards a sophisticated clientele.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:01 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
That's why I still have my 8-tracks when I'm driving.
I only started having disposable income right at the end of 8-tracks. But given cassettes were only a couple of years later, you have to wonder if the company that invented 8-tracks was a precursor to Dilbert. "Well, we can't put a record player in a car and this idea functions, so we don't think customers will mind the trade-off if the song cuts off in the middle of a guitar solo to switch tracks..."

I still like listening to baseball games on AM driving back to PA at night from CT. And I'm continually annoyed I can pick up games in Baltimore, Philadelphia, DC, Boston, Toronto, New York, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit and St. Louis (and occasionally Chicago) through most of the state on I-80, but not the Pirates until I near Bellefonte.

Other than that, between the religious programming, political diatribes, medical (hair growth!) informercials, and polka parties, it's pretty useless (except 1010 WINS when I need traffic in the NYC area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh