Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 04:23 PM

4 posts, read 13,758 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Pittsburgh. We bought a house about two and half months ago and have been enjoying the city. We park on the street, like everybody else does. Then today I found a parking ticket on my car, citing Pittsburgh Ordinance 549.01, P1: No Residential Parking Permit. It's really the first time I learned that I need a parking permit to park in front of my house. Well, I guess that's one of the benefits of living in the city.

Is there any chance I can fight off this ticket? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 04:25 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,684,738 times
My guess is that if you went ahead and obtained your parking permit now, while disputing the ticket, that they'd drop it once you showed proof that you live there and have fixed the issue. I've found PGH traffic court to be pretty lenient.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:02 AM

482 posts, read 1,229,735 times
Pittsburgh traffic courts are pretty lenient with things, so there's a chance you could have it dropped if you go get a parking permit.

However, pay more attention to your surroundings. Permit required streets have these nice green signs posted telling you it's a permit required street. They even tell you what zone permit you need to have.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:44 AM

567 posts, read 1,155,534 times
Whereabouts is your place? Are there permit parking signs about?

Old 10-15-2013, 11:24 AM

Thanks for all your replies. Wife went to the Parking Authority today, bought the residential parking permit. While she was there, the woman behind the counter noticed that my wife was holding the parking ticket and asked about it. She then called someone in another office to have the ticket dismissed. So everything is fine now.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:58 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,534,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pptiger View Post
Thanks for all your replies. Wife went to the Parking Authority today, bought the residential parking permit. While she was there, the woman behind the counter noticed that my wife was holding the parking ticket and asked about it. She then called someone in another office to have the ticket dismissed. So everything is fine now.
Excellent! That was almost too easy. Love the proactive service from the bureaucracy, totally against stereotype.

You'll be happy it's a permit area in the long run, I would think. The reason those are created is usually because otherwise the street would be full of people parking there for nearby attractions at certain times. So the permit enables you a better shot at a space near your home during the hours that it is enforced.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Excellent! That was almost too easy. Love the proactive service from the bureaucracy, totally against stereotype.

You'll be happy it's a permit area in the long run, I would think. The reason those are created is usually because otherwise the street would be full of people parking there for nearby attractions at certain times. So the permit enables you a better shot at a space near your home during the hours that it is enforced.
Yes! We are very impressed by the PPA lady. Completely unexpected.

My house is close to CMU, so a parking permit certainly makes sense.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:51 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,198,424 times
Some people put down neighborhoods in the south, west and north are not being that "hot", but at least people in Marshall-Shadeland, Westwood and Carrick don't have to pay the city for the right to park on the street in front of their own home.

I never liked that program.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:26 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,523,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Some people put down neighborhoods in the south, west and north are not being that "hot", but at least people in Marshall-Shadeland, Westwood and Carrick don't have to pay the city for the right to park on the street in front of their own home.
You aren't paying for the right to park in front of your own home. You're paying for the city to keep people who don't live on your street from parking in front of your own home. It's done for the people live there, not to them.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:26 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,930,374 times
It's a big problem on streets in Shadyside and Squirrel Hill near bus routes. People heading to Oakland park on residential streets for the day and take the bus the rest of the way so they don't have to pay to park in Oaklansd. They also do it near busway stations that don't have park and ride lots. Neighborhoods that have the permit system requested it from the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh