Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 12:58 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Where would you put this "dedicated right-of-way" such that it would "NOT interfere with existing traffic"?

And where would the light rail go?
liberty could handle dedicated lanes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 02:33 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
liberty could handle dedicated lanes
How would a dedicated lane on Liberty make its way to Squirrel Hill or Regent Square?

Old 10-20-2013, 06:07 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
Quote:
How would a dedicated lane on Liberty make its way to Squirrel Hill or Regent Square?
why does it have to?

Old 10-20-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
why does it have to?
Well, Squirrel Hill and Oakland -- I meant Oakland, not Regent Square; don't know why I typed that -- are major bus destinations in Pgh. Where would these dedicated tracks go on Forbes and Fifth?

Old 10-20-2013, 07:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Well, Squirrel Hill and Oakland -- I meant Oakland, not Regent Square; don't know why I typed that -- are major bus destinations in Pgh. Where would these dedicated tracks go on Forbes and Fifth?

There is a bus lane on 5th Ave from Jumonville out to the Cathedral, I guess it could go there?

Old 10-20-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
There is a bus lane on 5th Ave from Jumonville out to the Cathedral, I guess it could go there?
Good idea.

Tangentially, I was waiting for the bus the other day, and a guy was telling me how someone parked a car so far out in the street that the trolley couldn't pass it. It made me wonder how much clearance would be needed to create a "dedicated" lanes. Also, could they put one in in the center of Forbes and Fifth Avenues?

Old 10-20-2013, 07:22 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Quote:
Good idea.

Tangentially, I was waiting for the bus the other day, and a guy was telling me how someone parked a car so far out in the street that the trolley couldn't pass it. It made me wonder how much clearance would be needed to create a "dedicated" lanes. Also, could they put one in in the center of Forbes and Fifth Avenues?

If the dedicated lanes are put in the center of the street, you have build islands for the passenger to board and alight safely.

The amount of clearance needed varies, and its wider on the turns than on the straightaways. When they had a lot of trolleys, they painted lines on the street indicating the clearance needed. But not everyone was that astute in observing them and occasionally they'd have to call for a tow. One of the problems with the fixed rail system on public streets.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:26 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Can I ask why so many on here have such an aversion towards light rail? Whenever a topic like this arises many dismiss it and say "more buses, please". How will adding more and more buses onto already congested streets fix our congestion woes? We need transit that operates in its own dedicated right-of-way AWAY from other vehicles. We need to improve upon the Busways, develop BRT that will NOT interfere with existing traffic, and invest in light rail.
Light rail is one of the reasons Portland has boomed, Their system is excellent. It certainly impacts traffic downtown, but it goes to places like the airport, Hillsboro (where Intel Is), and several other high density population areas. People use it.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:05 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Light rail is one of the reasons Portland has boomed, Their system is excellent. It certainly impacts traffic downtown, but it goes to places like the airport, Hillsboro (where Intel Is), and several other high density population areas. People use it.
Right. It's also the reason why Arlington, VA has been booming. People aren't going to pay a premium to live near a bus stop. They will pay a premium to live near a light rail stop.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:39 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Right. It's also the reason why Arlington, VA has been booming. People aren't going to pay a premium to live near a bus stop. They will pay a premium to live near a light rail stop.
But a minor reason. Being near the seat of power is a big reason.

One advantage to LRT is they are very quiet. A bit scary too as you won't often hear them coming like you would a bus. Sadly, a girl was run over and killed by an LRT in Houston as she got off one train but didn't hear the other one coming on the other track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh