Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 12:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Hopes, you would make a very good detective. Sort of like that lady from "Murder, she wrote"
My parents use to joke that they wouldn't want her visiting our house because people always die wherever she goes!

Quote:
Apart from this issue I found a couple of websites (debt collectors) that report to all 3 credit agencies and have national change of address, so they'll find them for me. I didn;t even know such service existed. Great. I am not sure when I should report them. I guess after the trial, when they won;t be able to pay or something, right?
I'd wait until you have a court judgment. But I'm just basing that off of not being able to do a sheriff's sale until after you have a judgment. Will those debt collector sites help you find them prior to officially reporting them and/or handing over the debt for them to collect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 12:34 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,296 times
Hopes, I don;t know. I was looking at this one RentRecoveryService.com ? Landlord Collection Agency, Rent Recovery Service, Contingency & Flat Fees
I guess this would be a question for the lawyer. But there are others showing up in Google search as well.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Hopes, I don;t know. I was looking at this one RentRecoveryService.com ? Landlord Collection Agency, Rent Recovery Service, Contingency & Flat Fees
I guess this would be a question for the lawyer. But there are others showing up in Google search as well.
I'm guessing that they won't help you find the location until you assign them the debt to collect. I did look at others via google searche and some specifically say "judgments." That indicates to me that you likely need to go through court before you can hire a debt collection agency. If you're going to hire an agency to collect the debt for you, I'd hire a local company instead of one on the internet. Attorneys do collections too. Yours might since he specializes in landlords. I wouldn't pay someone outright to collect the debt. I'd only agree to their keeping a percentage of what they collect. That way you're not wasting more money on something that isn't likely to happen.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:14 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
OK, do what you want. But it will drive you crazy. I had a tenant who pulled the same crap years ago, finally just let it go. Some people are just jerks.

Hey, where are all the people on this board that call all landlords slumlords?
As hard as it seems to just walk away, sometimes it is the only sensible route to go. Any landlord forced to deal with the non-paying tenant, or one who has damaged our property, wants some level of justice. Beyond the financial costs, the demands/frustrations of challenging a former tenant to make good on the judgment can be a long, extended period of futility. The best that the OP can probably hope for (given the description of her tenants' past irresponsibility) is a ongoing claim on their credit reports of nonpayment. It will still cost $50 annually, but may be money well spent.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm guessing that they won't help you find the location until you assign them the debt to collect. I did look at others via google searche and some specifically say "judgments." That indicates to me that you likely need to go through court before you can hire a debt collection agency. If you're going to hire an agency to collect the debt for you, I'd hire a local company instead of one on the internet. Attorneys do collections too. Yours might since he specializes in landlords. I wouldn't pay someone outright to collect the debt. I'd only agree to their keeping a percentage of what they collect. That way you're not wasting more money on something that isn't likely to happen.
Thanks, I'll ask the lawyer if he does that. You raised some very good points.
Retiredcoach, now I already paid the lawyer; this is it. We'll go to court, unless my lawyer can work a deal with them - which I doubt it.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:29 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,064 times
Quote:
Thanks, I'll ask the lawyer if he does that. You raised some very good points.
Retiredcoach, now I already paid the lawyer; this is it. We'll go to court, unless my lawyer can work a deal with them - which I doubt it.
You will have various filing fees through the courts in your attempts to collect the judgment. You have to hope that they move out within the stated timelines of the eviction- this is never a clear cut process- and they could conceivably stay for a prolonged period. You may find yourself responsible for constable and/or sheriff fees, if you seek to collect any of their assets to procure the judgment. You will want to pay the annual fee to the credit reporting agency to prevent them from ignoring this debt. As a previous poster stated earlier, it is often much easier winning a case such as yours, but much more difficult to collect your judgment. If they move from the area, it becomes even more difficult (and expensive) to collect in other jurisdictions. One question to possibly ask your attorney might be to see if there might be any way to attach wages??

Old 11-14-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
One question to possibly ask your attorney might be to see if there might be any way to attach wages??
Wage Attachment Enacted for Pennsylvania Landlords

Old 11-14-2013, 08:43 PM

Thank you very much. Retiredcoach, I thought about your sensible advice all afternoon, along with Hopes's and everybody else's. Yes, I might have felt too vindictive to go after the kids. I'm sure the school will find out in the end.

Well this proves that I am not cut for this business. It's a lesson for me; I'll do what I have to do to finish with these people an move on. Life is too short to waste on such individuals. I'd much rather take dance lessons or do yoga or something else enjoyable than deal with people like these who have no respect for others and caused me so much stress.

Thanks again. I'll ask my lawyer about it next week. You guys have a wonderful weekend.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:53 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
You guys have a wonderful weekend.
Most of us don't own extra houses we can rent out. We got to work one more day before the weekend.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:49 AM

Just to give you an update, the 10 days notice expired on Sat eve and they are still there. I sent notice of entry as required by the law saying I was going to show up at the property on Sat eve and they were not there. However the lights were on, fans were on, some furniture visible and a cat. No car in the driveway. I had the keys but I was afraid to enter because of the dogs.
So I gave my lawyer green light to file the papers in court to evict them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh