Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2013, 07:48 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Animal control called back saying they have no jurisdiction over cats in mt lebo. he told me to call Humane society which i did and left mssg.
Then he tells me it's against the law to abandon an animal and if i can proof it's theirs - saved FB pics - they will be sued by someone in Animal friend's, a lady Cathy Hecker, that i need to call. It's quite serious they can even do jail time for such thing.
Animal Friends has officers who have some jurisdiction for humane investigations at least in Allegheny County. They have an additional officer now but Kathy Hecker is the chief. Abandoning the animal is covered under the cruelty laws of Pennsylvania so they can investigate abandoning a cat as cruelty. Not sure how that all turns out but it can't hurt to report it.

Quote:
Their credit history was clean. They were young, 30 and 31. They saw my ad on cl but I trusted them cuz the guy's mom lives like 2 houses down from me. Literally. The guy grew up on his mom's house while I was living there. They were educated people, good jobs, dressed clean. I had no idea.
It's just amazing how this can spiral so far out of control from here. Have to wonder what is going through their heads. Just insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 11:40 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times
Somebody who has seen the destruction of the property told me to call the police and complain about vandalism. Anybody done that?

Old 12-02-2013, 02:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Somebody who has seen the destruction of the property told me to call the police and complain about vandalism. Anybody done that?
Why do you need to know if someone has done it? Just call. At least you'll get a police report. Don't babble about details when talking to anyone, not even the police. You don't want the tenants to find out the water company is going to give you their new address. They could call and complain to the township, and then you won't get the address. Remember, they are from this township. Their mother lives in this township. They know people. You don't want them to hear your plans ahead of time.

As for credit rating, it means nothing. Many responsible people don't even use credit because they prefer to not carry debt. My children's landlords required landlord references. They called to check them too.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:10 PM

Thanks Hopes. I spoke with a police officer on the phone. he instructed me to go to the house and call 911 which I plan to do tonight after work.
I faxed a copy of the lease and a formal request to the water company but they didn't get back to me yet. I also mailed to the house a letter for the tenants with "redirect service request" or smth like that. I found on line. If the tenants left a forwarding address with the post office that letter will be back to me with their new address. If this fails I am going to request a Freedom of Information Act to get their address. If this fails I'll hire a private investigator.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:44 AM

598 posts, read 748,008 times
Is it legal in PA to serve them at work? if so I would just do that...

Old 12-03-2013, 06:27 AM

Thanks. Good question for my lawyer. I see that other states allow it, if other means of serving them failed, but other states consider damages over 500usd vandalism and they file police reports.

Last night I called the cops. A police officer showed up and said it wasn't their jurisdiction. It's civil.

The only way he helped me was by calling the animal control to bring a cat trap. the cat left behind was hiding inside of a half chewed spring box.

Also when I got to the property there was a stream of water in the street. The water service has been restored but there's something wrong. I think a pipe is damaged. As soon as I shut off the water in the basement the stream in the street dissapeared.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:32 AM

My neighbor came over and was horrified. The smell is just terrible. Of did i tell you the left the fridge unplugged full of food and it is rotting? shrimp especially. Then he told me a similar story when he had 3 units and bad tenants and this is why he is not a landlord anymore.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:48 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
You certainly are the poster child for having bad tenants. So many people complain about slum landlords, but never see the other side. The worst I had was people lying about having dogs. Stopped by one day and saw 2 in the yard. When I questioned them they said they were babysitting them. Yeah, for sure. Did not renew their lease and spent hours cleaning the rugs.

You've probably lost 3 months rental income in all the money you will spend getting the place back in shape.

Good luck!

Old 12-05-2013, 06:09 AM

598 posts, read 748,008 times
Starting afresh is great.

I would have waited the required 30 days before throwing their stuff though. If it does come down to a court hearing, I would want to appear as the one doing everything by the book and them breaking all the rules.

Good luck.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:35 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
If it does come down to a court hearing, I would want to appear as the one doing everything by the book and them breaking all the rules.
Exactly. Judges rule by their hearts sometimes. Any question of the OP's behavior could ruin her entire case. Throwing out the stuff probably won't be a big deal as long as she doesn't do anything else that would raise eyebrows. That's why she needs to be careful about appearing to harass them in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh