Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 10:58 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Well, not that fast... This is ridiculous!!! I am actually laughing but these people are a disgrace. OK, my tenants never paid a penny of the amount we settled for. Last week my lawyer sent them a letter asking for the money in order to finish this thing in an amiable manner. No reply. He then called her and asked for the same thing.

They wrote him a letter saying that if he contacts them again they will sue him for harassing them!!! W.T.F!!!
We went back to court this morning. She was crying crocodile tears. The judge awarded me 7500$. Actually the damage is double, but whatever.

They have 30 days to appeal. I don't think they will because they have no money.
My lawyer is going to garnish their wages.
It's funny they always rely on the harassment. Why did you go back to court prior to garnishing their wages? You already had the initial judgment. When they didn't pay after the letter was sent demanding payment, you could have initiated the garnishment at that time. Now you've opened up the another opportunity for them to appeal. I hope the 30 days goes quickly and the garnishment begins without any more of their dramatics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 11:31 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
Hopes, last time we went to court we settled outside and they had 60 days to pay. The 60 days were up today. They were supposed to send money order to my lawyer. They didn;t. Therefore my lawyer sent them a letter last week then called. He didn;t harass them in any way; he only did what he was supposed to do. So did I in all my dealings with them.

We were super nice to them by allowing to settle outside the court and drop the charges. They didn't want it. Have it they have it their way; credit history ruined etc. I honestly couldn;t care less.

I see them every saturday at my neighbors'. I go to my house to work/fix it up and I see their car parked in theirs parents driveway. One time he and the kids passed on the sidewalk and I was collecting the leaves in the front yard. I went in the house immediate;y. I was afraid he was going to come over and fight or hit me. I cant wait to sell the house. This week the floors are sanded. Then there's the basement that needs to be painted, the deck and a bit of landscaping and that's it.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:37 AM

splendidtheme, after what I have been through I can honestly say that I would have done a better job for myself and sold the house 3 years ago when I initially put it on the market. yes, I would have lowered the price and bled a bit, but basically I lost more money now having to fix it up, plus the time and the stress I've been though. Lesson learned.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I understand now. The settlement slowed things down.

I hope they don't appeal and you can be done with this sooner than later.

Thanks for the update. Let us know what happens next!

Old 05-15-2015, 10:19 AM

OK, update on this: they were served at work with wage garnish papers in Jan and the wife filed a petition that she can't pay due to the fact they are divorcing! With the credit history ruined, each of them returned to their respective parents. She is keeping the children and consequently they are not going to Mt Lebanon school anymore. She now lives on a farm in Elizabeth Pa.

OK, the judge set the date for them to present proof of income in order to see if they can pay or not for mid Feb. That day the husband asked for continuance because he was busy at work. Another month passed and another hearing was set and they didn't show up. So they lost and their wages are being garnished.

I can't believe it. After 18 months of legal battle, next month I'll finally receive some money. Since by law the employer can't retain more than 10% of the income they will repay the debt if few years. The amount of money I get from them, covers the money I paid the attorney. I am going to invest it, with the hope it will grow. Looking back, yes, I could have cut my loses and not sue them, but I'm glad I did it. People like these need to learn a lesson. They can't go through life with a sense of entitlement, destroying someone else's property with no consequences. And debts have to be paid, unless one declares bankruptcy.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:29 AM

Oh and I forgot to add, the house was completely renovated. All the floors are hardwood and they've been sanded, the kitchen is new: ceramic tiles, cabinets, granite counter-tops and stainless steel appliances. The two bathrooms have been completely re-done as well. The deck and fences have been painted and the yard work has been completed. It is very, very pretty.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:37 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
Oh and I forgot to add, the house was completely renovated. All the floors are hardwood and they've been sanded, the kitchen is new: ceramic tiles, cabinets, granite counter-tops and stainless steel appliances. The two bathrooms have been completely re-done as well. The deck and fences have been painted and the yard work has been completed. It is very, very pretty.
Glad to hear that this awful chapter has come to an end. Are your going to sell the house?

Old 05-15-2015, 11:11 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Honestly, the real people to suffer are probably the respective parents and the kids.

I don't know how people get married and have kids, only to see it all evaporate a few years later. I know stuff happens, but don't you actually marry (not just shack up with ) the person you love? If it comes to this, is it reasonable to assume there never reallyl was true love there? That's all I'm asking.

XRite, I am glad that you got compensation and can move on from these immature pains.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:12 PM

697 posts, read 777,862 times
Quote:
Thank you for the update. So glad to hear that this worked out for you in the end. They got all of the negative consequences that they earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Honestly, the real people to suffer are probably the respective parents and the kids.

I don't know how people get married and have kids, only to see it all evaporate a few years later. I know stuff happens, but don't you actually marry (not just shack up with ) the person you love? If it comes to this, is it reasonable to assume there never reallyl was true love there? That's all I'm asking.

XRite, I am glad that you got compensation and can move on from these immature pains.
From what I've seen, even if some people get married thinking it's true love, sometimes personality issues/disorders and/or addictions come to fruition or get worse, people's sense of responsibility or commitment to the relationship diminishes.

But divorces have nothing to do with public transportation or Cranberry.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:36 PM

994 posts, read 900,605 times
Like I said in 2013, you should have cut your losses and moved on as quickly as possible. They are sick people, and my bet is that they will figure out how to get around the wage garnishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh