Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 09:21 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The more important one, however, is to stabilize shrinking neighborhoods. Basically any city which has had a substantial number immigrants within the last few decades has lacked the issues we have with blight and abandonment. Look at Allentown in the Lehigh Valley, for example. Since there was a Latino influx, there have been some more crime issues in the city, but the population is at an all-time high, and virtually all of the historic infrastructure of the city is standing. In general, immigrants also don't care about the whole walkable mixed-use thing the way modern gentrifiers do. Indeed, they often move into neighborhoods otherwise considered unfashionable in sun-belt areas (slightly run down first-ring suburbs). Immigrants would be a natural fit to help restore the many flagging Pittsburgh neighborhoods south of the Mon.
actually if you look at crime in allentown there was a spike in the middle of the last decade when the migration was at its highest but crime is now below what it was before the influx of latinos from NY. in other words, it was a short term impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 11:37 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
One is just perception. Portland aside, cities which don't have some prominent immigrant communities just don't get a lot of buzz these days. Having an emerging Latino and/or Asian neighborhood would really help market Pittsburgh to potential transplants more nationwide.
Based on the way you wrote the post, it seems like you value perception based on the views of domestic transplants in particular rather than all of them. The purpose of diversity is to make the city seem cool to certain types of domestic transplants. I don't think most domestic transplants actually care much about diversity for its own sake enough that it factor in a migration choice. Immigrants have downsides, in particular they're often poorer and may clash culturally with long-time residents. But otherwise, why should it matter if a city attracts immigrants or domestic transplants? If they're not much poorer than the natives, I don't see any reason to be interested in one over the other.

Quote:
The more important one, however, is to stabilize shrinking neighborhoods. Basically any city which has had a substantial number immigrants within the last few decades has lacked the issues we have with blight and abandonment. Look at Allentown in the Lehigh Valley, for example. Since there was a Latino influx, there have been some more crime issues in the city, but the population is at an all-time high, and virtually all of the historic infrastructure of the city is standing.
True, it seems like part of the reason smaller cities in the eastern parts of Northeast often declined less was from immigration. Likely in some places, they'd be some abandondment if it weren't from immigration.

Quote:
In general, immigrants also don't care about the whole walkable mixed-use thing the way modern gentrifiers do.
Immigrants also seem less concenered with detached home and big yard. Outside of the center of the bigger cities, more walkable areas in the Northeast tend to have more immigrant heavy, sometimes being mostly immigrant. Immigrants tend to go for:

1) Areas that are close other immigrants of the same background
2) Generally whatever is more practical in a $/ benefit sense. They're less picky about neighborhood type in general.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:22 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post

2. Encourage a microbrewery industry with a clustering of brewpubs and sports bars on the North Shore. Wonder if they could even make Pittsburgh's version of a "beer garden" (biergarten) there too?
I like this idea, but I think it would be better in uptown around the new arena there. The north shore just doesn't seem to have any funky or cool vibe whatsoever, but it seems like Uptown could.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:41 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,461 times
My understanding is that Wigle Whiskey bought a warehouse on Spring Garden that they are turning into, essentially, a brewery and biergarten. That was the last I heard, anyway, which was like... six months ago.

It would be amazing if you had Penn Brewery, Wigle Whiskey's thing, and the (presumably not as rough) Bier Haus in a little triangle over there.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:54 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I live in the city, I can't see an instance where I would take a LTR vehicle to the airport. Its a lot easier to haul your luggage in the trunk than to take it downtown to catch a train. I suppose for people right in town or folks that work at the airport it would be worthwhile- but most folks will get a ride out there or take a taxi or limo.
Maybe not for some. But all I need is my backpack and carry-on. They're easy to take on the bus to the airport and no parking issues when I arrive...and it costs $1.25 for the trip. No LRTs in Houston to the airports yet.

In Atlanta, it was even better. The airport is on the southside and a lot of people including myself live in the north. Getting to the MARTA station is pretty easy and the HRT train ride is $2.50. Step off the train, take the escalator down, and walk into terminal.

But it's best of all for visitors as the trains pretty much go to where people want to go and getting back to the airport is a breeze. Definitely factors in when I have a choice of places to go.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I live in the city, I can't see an instance where I would take a LTR vehicle to the airport. Its a lot easier to haul your luggage in the trunk than to take it downtown to catch a train. I suppose for people right in town or folks that work at the airport it would be worthwhile- but most folks will get a ride out there or take a taxi or limo.
Rolloway bag and and a backpack.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:41 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Based on the way you wrote the post, it seems like you value perception based on the views of domestic transplants in particular rather than all of them. The purpose of diversity is to make the city seem cool to certain types of domestic transplants. I don't think most domestic transplants actually care much about diversity for its own sake enough that it factor in a migration choice. Immigrants have downsides, in particular they're often poorer and may clash culturally with long-time residents. But otherwise, why should it matter if a city attracts immigrants or domestic transplants? If they're not much poorer than the natives, I don't see any reason to be interested in one over the other.
I said it wasn't anywhere near as important as the second reason - a very minor thing overall. But I do think that modern urbanists do tend to want some sort of ethnic diversity within their city. I know I've heard people who have migrated here from the West Coast lament that with such a small immigrant population, our ethnic food choices are pretty mediocre compared to elsewhere.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:22 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
ethnic diversity

ethnic food choices
The only real reason people want diversity.

Mmmm, diversity is delicious.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:50 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,382 times
Quote:
I said it wasn't anywhere near as important as the second reason - a very minor thing overall. But I do think that modern urbanists do tend to want some sort of ethnic diversity within their city. I know I've heard people who have migrated here from the West Coast lament that with such a small immigrant population, our ethnic food choices are pretty mediocre compared to elsewhere.
Yeah, but try getting a decent sauerkraut perogie in California.

(I've never actually been out west, maybe they have delicious perogies made of gold and cannabis...)

Old 10-25-2013, 01:57 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
Yeah, but try getting a decent sauerkraut perogie in California.

(I've never actually been out west, maybe they have delicious perogies made of gold and cannabis...)
Why does every thread have pot in it now?

Hm, is it 4:20 yet?

Okay, I've got one, if Pittsburgh is going to be a great city then PA needs to legalize pot and ditch the ridiculous liquor laws. At least we have some craft brewing and distilling going on, that part of the law isn't too big of a problem. It's the packaged sales that's a problem.

Anyway, I started as a joke-ish, but it does bring up a point of how much a given place's ability to effect a change is hamstrung by something higher up the chain, namely the state government. It's hard not to think PA's state government is a hinderance to various things. Everyone is going on about transit and transportation infrastructure, which is a prime example (in addition to the booze laws, of course ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh