Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2013, 06:27 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times

Advertisements

According to the PG, a Conventiion Center Hotel ideas is fading because of planned hotels nearbyl

David L. Lawrence Convention Center hotel idea fading - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The full story is blocked to me.

But I still think its a good idea. From my experience, a hotel tightly integrated with the convention center is a must as a foundation. Oddly, Atlanta doesn't have that either but it would be better if it did. At Dragon*Con, I've seen the value of hotel/convention space integration. The hotels are linked together via, as we like to call them, "gerbil tubes". I'd like to see a close physical integration of the convention center with the hotels. Tying the hotel space with exhibit and meeting space makes for a very lively convention. Atlanta's Dragon*Con just relies on the hotel meeting spaces only, but it would be better if it included the exhibit space too. An integration of hotels and the David L Lawrence would make for better conventions. Atlanta's hotels also have a Food Court integrated with it which stays open past midnight which is also pretty cool for Dragon*Con.

I just saw that Pittsburgh's Comic Con is being held at Monroeville's Convention Center. So how much goes on in the late hours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 08:44 PM

165 posts, read 276,939 times
city's population and a real vibrant downtown core.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:58 PM

9 posts, read 12,415 times
Living in Chicago, a "world class city", I will miss being able to live without having a car. I looked at the transit system in Pittsburgh, and not only is it confusing as to where a stop is (and when), but you can't get all over from what I've seen. I can't yet comment on parks and running trails there and compare to how well maintained there are in Chicago. I will definitely miss architecture tours that blend aesthetics and history. I'm also curious to see how outgoing people are there and if anyone can be silly enough to do things like themed pub crawls and 5ks. Free concerts, movies in the park, dance lessons, zoo, and museum days (a few a year at each for state residents) are all perks that make a city cultured and enjoyable. I'm hoping to find some of these upon moving! *fingers crossed*

Old 11-21-2013, 08:51 AM

632 posts, read 1,070,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiAgingNP View Post
Living in Chicago, a "world class city", I will miss being able to live without having a car. I looked at the transit system in Pittsburgh, and not only is it confusing as to where a stop is (and when), but you can't get all over from what I've seen. I can't yet comment on parks and running trails there and compare to how well maintained there are in Chicago. I will definitely miss architecture tours that blend aesthetics and history. I'm also curious to see how outgoing people are there and if anyone can be silly enough to do things like themed pub crawls and 5ks. Free concerts, movies in the park, dance lessons, zoo, and museum days (a few a year at each for state residents) are all perks that make a city cultured and enjoyable. I'm hoping to find some of these upon moving! *fingers crossed*
You'll find all of these in Pittsburgh...I've actually partaken in one of each that you've mentioned in the past year.

Just not the transit system Chicago enjoys. But then again what we have works OK for most people.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:58 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrtrggr13 View Post
Just not the transit system Chicago enjoys. But then again what we have works OK for most people.
Yes. I'll reiterate, too, that we're already a pretty special place if the biggest gripe most people seem to always be coming back to is "you can't expediently get to Point B from Point A".

Old 11-21-2013, 12:01 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Yes. I'll reiterate, too, that we're already a pretty special place if the biggest gripe most people seem to always be coming back to is "you can't expediently get to Point B from Point A".
There are way more legit gripes and problems with the city than geography dude.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:17 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
There are way more legit gripes and problems with the city than geography dude.
Nothing that sets us apart from other places I've lived, though.

The transit system here really IS worse than most other major U.S. cities. Only in Pittsburgh would people get EXCITED for a bus when most other cities are expanding light rail, heavy rail, streetcars, etc.

The litter? I've seen worse.
The crime-filled ghettoes? Ours are tamer than many other cities' ghettoes where even random law-abiding citizens are often targeted. At least here seemingly 90% of the violent crimes committed seem to be between those living on the wrong side of the law to begin with.
The taxes? We're above-average, but we're by far not the worst.
Political corruption? Other than the Harper/Ravenstahl scandal we're fairly tame.
Weather? It's sunny here right now. Imagine that.
Employment? Wages still lag; however, there are jobs here for almost anyone who wants to work.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:30 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
I dunno, that's trivializing our problems quite a bit, especially when looking at the political corruption aspect.

Also, not to single you out personally but the "it happens elsewhere" sentiment around here that's use to brush off any real problem with the city really needs to die off. Not only is it unproductive but it's also about as laughable as the "we're not Detroit!" ending from the faux Cleveland tourism video.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:50 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I dunno, that's trivializing our problems quite a bit, especially when looking at the political corruption aspect.

Also, not to single you out personally but the "it happens elsewhere" sentiment around here that's use to brush off any real problem with the city really needs to die off. Not only is it unproductive but it's also about as laughable as the "we're not Detroit!" ending from the faux Cleveland tourism video.
Couldn't agree more. This city is very corrupt when it comes to politics, nepotism and favortism. It is part of the culture. People may disagree, but there are a lot of similarities between the burgh and the two cities you mentioned. Pittsburgh looks a lot better to a tourist because of mt washington. Also cleveland and detroit do not have hills to hide the blight. If we were a flat city the press would not be as good.

The it happens everywhere is an old and tired excuse to sugarcoat a shortcoming with pittsburgh.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:53 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Nothing that sets us apart from other places I've lived, though.

The transit system here really IS worse than most other major U.S. cities. Only in Pittsburgh would people get EXCITED for a bus when most other cities are expanding light rail, heavy rail, streetcars, etc.

A lot of Pittsburgh's pier cities don't have rail. Does Toledo? Tulsa? Memphis?

A lot of the eastern cities, and really major metropolises elsewhere do, but most of the inland cities don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh