Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 08:39 PM

468 posts, read 123,900 times

Advertisements

Personally, I liked to think that “uptown kid” was a retired senior corporate executive living in Sewickley Heights who had watched “The Wire” too many times. On the internet, nobody knows you’re an old white guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2022, 01:03 PM

987 posts, read 280,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I am not sure, but think he might have a compilation of crime on an interactive website. I am guessing, but ran across one that I felt could fit where he went. He wasn't overly welcome by the....well fake world people. I enjoyed his posts as he was really into crime deep and had real inside type information. Love people that aren't living in these completely fake worlds and go through life with blinders on.
If you find him, let us know where he is before you get banned again.

Old 09-25-2022, 02:51 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghophilia View Post
Personally, I liked to think that “uptown kid” was a retired senior corporate executive living in Sewickley Heights who had watched “The Wire” too many times. On the internet, nobody knows you’re an old white guy.
I highly doubt he was an old white guy, had too much info. However, your definition fits me to a T. The Wire was a great show.

Old 09-25-2022, 03:01 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,213,645 times
Default You mean the Lower Hill or the Hill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think we've touched on this in a number of threads over the last year, but not had a core thread for discussion.

The Hill District seems to show more promise than in decades, but in an odd way, seems more isolated than ever. As Pittsburgh redevelops, a "golden circle" of development is surrounding the Hill. On one side, there's the redevelopment of Downtown. On another, there's Oakland, which continues to edge into the lower reaches of the Hill District. The Strip District is seeing a few new major apartment projects each year as spillage from Downtown. Polish Hill is becoming increasingly gentrified/expensive. Uptown is the last link in the circle, and with continued focus on the Oakland Portal, it seems likely it will close as well (although it might not have many more surviving rowhouses than the Strip District when all is said and done.

Regardless, has the Hill turned a corner? Will it be gentrified and whitened within a few decades? Will the non-reconstructed portions continue be ground down into the dust? Will different neighborhoods have different fates? What do you think is in store in the next ten to twenty years?
The Hill already went through redevelopment which saw the aluminium globe built for hockey w/ adjacent parking and a hotel. The mostly renters were thrown or push out and thus the black diaspora into Sliberty and Wilkinsburg. Now you're telling me they are going to finish the job.

Old 09-28-2022, 03:58 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
The Hill already went through redevelopment which saw the aluminium globe built for hockey w/ adjacent parking and a hotel. The mostly renters were thrown or push out and thus the black diaspora into Sliberty and Wilkinsburg. Now you're telling me they are going to finish the job.
Try to find an affordable decent property in the Hill now. Good luck. Yes, gentrification is happening. The Civic Arena was built under bad pretenses but at least the building had some architectural value and should have been saved. Instead, it's sitting in landfill and we have White "Latte Liberals" (as coined by Sala Udin) trying to make amends and clearing their consciences by building something no current Hill resident could probably afford. It's all rather crazy.

Old 09-29-2022, 12:31 PM

1,170 posts, read 591,628 times
FE: Civic Arena. It would have been nice to save because it was such a unique structure but what on earth would one do with it?

Old 09-29-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
FE: Civic Arena. It would have been nice to save because it was such a unique structure but what on earth would one do with it?
Indoor public market. They had a pretty successful one in the Strip. Perhaps kept the ice rink feature as it seems like hockey teams and leagues around here never had enough ice time available. Not sure..

Old 09-29-2022, 03:24 PM

1,170 posts, read 591,628 times
Hmm, that would have been interesting. I assume that place is a bear to heat and cool and overall has a lot of maintenance costs that would make it very unprofitable. Having said the, at am sure there are loads of government programs to prop that up. Dep of Ag subsidizes markets all over the place. Governments in 2009-2010 were pretty broke though, wonder if its fate would have been different if the Pens moved during a different climate.

Old 09-29-2022, 04:00 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,055,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Try to find an affordable decent property in the Hill now. Good luck. Yes, gentrification is happening. The Civic Arena was built under bad pretenses but at least the building had some architectural value and should have been saved.
no, not really. it replaced a dumpy neighborhood where a lot of people willingly sold out. if anything, it may have been a smashing success. it was beautiful. we are still talking about it today in a good light.

people in know in their 50s and higher said they say concerts there, FREE PARKING on site! for something like $10 - one person said they saw Zeppelin, another Deep Purple at the time of "Machine Head", which made them (DP) big.

Old 09-30-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
no, not really. it replaced a dumpy neighborhood where a lot of people willingly sold out. if anything, it may have been a smashing success. it was beautiful. we are still talking about it today in a good light.

people in know in their 50s and higher said they say concerts there, FREE PARKING on site! for something like $10 - one person said they saw Zeppelin, another Deep Purple at the time of "Machine Head", which made them (DP) big.
Well, The Beatles played there in September 1964. Didn't see that of course, but lots of legends like Rush, etc. They'd open the roof occasionally for shows but less and less and time went on. Love Penguins hockey games there. Perfect venue for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh