Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 07:09 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I found $73 each way from Amtrak's website, if you book ahead.
that sounds about right. the schedule is okay for weekends in the east FROM pittsburgh but not vice versa simce amtrak foolishly gave up the sunday afternoon train
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 10:18 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
Amtrak trip is soooo long that unless you are from Europe or really, really like trains I wouldn't reccomend it to you. Besides, the trains are like 1 per day here, at uncovenient times.

I personally fly and buy the plane ticket way in advance and rent a car at the airport if I need to, or take the bus. The bus is convenient because it travels at night - so one won;t waste time during the day. You can pretty much sleep. Besides they have internet access in the car, pretty neat.

I drove quite a few times and the tolls are horrendous plus the rush hours in NYC is also terrible. From Verazano to Queens I spent easily 2:30hr. At 10pm-ish.
Leaving the city the same. I dropped off my parents to JFK many many times and than hit the road to Pgh. Took 2hrs to get out of the city.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Amtrak trip is soooo long that unless you are from Europe or really, really like trains I wouldn't reccomend it to you. Besides, the trains are like 1 per day here, at uncovenient times.

I personally fly and buy the plane ticket way in advance and rent a car at the airport if I need to, or take the bus. The bus is convenient because it travels at night - so one won;t waste time during the day. You can pretty much sleep. Besides they have internet access in the car, pretty neat.

I drove quite a few times and the tolls are horrendous plus the rush hours in NYC is also terrible. From Verazano to Queens I spent easily 2:30hr. At 10pm-ish.
Leaving the city the same. I dropped off my parents to JFK many many times and than hit the road to Pgh. Took 2hrs to get out of the city.
I disagree. the least desirable trip is an overnight bus trip. when the amtrak schedule meets my needs I prefer it even though it's 80 minutes slower because the bus ride to NY is too long for my tastes. while flying is the best I've done the trip in a number of ways. train to philly, bus to NY. bus to harrisburg, train to NYP. bus all the way, flying. bus to philly, train to NY. Amtrak's one a day makes it difficult to fit in and if it were an hour faster it would be an easy choice but for a weekend trip to Philly, in particular, it makes decent sense (you get in mid after noon, leave at 12:42 pm on sunday). for the NY trip, there's flying and then a whole lot of imperfect options. Perhaps the best of the bunch is bus to hilly, eat nearby, train to NY. IMO anyway. second to that is if you get one of the Pittsburgh-Harrisburg buses that meets up nicely with a train in Harrisburg. it's as fast as the bus all the way and more comfortable.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:31 AM

802 posts, read 1,320,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a Megabus fare that high. You must be picking days that are already extremely booked or very popular.

Megabus can be sub-$50 ROUND TRIP if you are able to pick the right days and book enough in advance. I picked a Saturday and Monday in mid-November. This is by far the cheapest. Fridays and Sundays seem to be most expensive. I think most weekdays are less.

I agree. The highest fare I ever paid on Megabus was $27.00 from Pittsburgh, and only because I booked a day before departure.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:41 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
I agree. The highest fare I ever paid on Megabus was $27.00 from Pittsburgh, and only because I booked a day before departure.
I've seen about $50 each way sometimes. Apparently it does go higher. But it shouldn't be that difficult to get it pretty low.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
departing wednesday to NY is $37, coming back sunday is $65. I believe you are referring to Philly-Pittsburgh fares

Old 10-28-2013, 11:12 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
departing wednesday to NY is $37, coming back sunday is $65. I believe you are referring to Philly-Pittsburgh fares
It doesn't really matter which destination. Sunday unless way in advance will usually be more expensive.

Even a Thursday-Sunday can be sub-$50 though. Thursday 12/5 is $12 on one afternoon trip, and return on the overnight on Sunday 12/8 is $36 for a total of $48.50. Bump it to Monday morning 12/9 and you can get $12 coming back too, for a total of $24.50 ROUND TRIP with the 50 cent fee. That's to NY.

At the moment, were you to want to depart quickly, it wouldn't be quite that cheap. You have quoted the rates for this particular weekend, if booking today. You have to look very specifically at dates and times that will work for you. Fares are a lot lower on certain trips if nobody has booked them much yet. Plan in advance and the savings will be substantial.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:39 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times
the Fastest/Cheapest way between Pittsburgh and NYC...Is the Red-Eye Greyhound Express.....that leaves the Burgh around 11pm and gets to NYC around 7:30 8am....No Stops other than the Rest/Eat Stop at Blue Sliding Hill. Now the company you're going to have on Greyhound will not be the best. Greyhound sorta caters to the Lowest Common Denominator (i.e Drifters and Bummy looking people). The Route Greyhound takes (PA TPKE to 81-78) I have found to be the fastest direct route to NYC.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
It doesn't really matter which destination. Sunday unless way in advance will usually be more expensive.

Even a Thursday-Sunday can be sub-$50 though. Thursday 12/5 is $12 on one afternoon trip, and return on the overnight on Sunday 12/8 is $36 for a total of $48.50. Bump it to Monday morning 12/9 and you can get $12 coming back too, for a total of $24.50 ROUND TRIP with the 50 cent fee. That's to NY.

At the moment, were you to want to depart quickly, it wouldn't be quite that cheap. You have quoted the rates for this particular weekend, if booking today. You have to look very specifically at dates and times that will work for you. Fares are a lot lower on certain trips if nobody has booked them much yet. Plan in advance and the savings will be substantial.
it's $102 for the intinerary I quoted and $76 RT for the Philadelphia RT. the destination matters. demand is greater and cost higher for the NYP trip (cost to megabus that is). I wasn't saying it couldn't be done cheaply but that yes, you CAN pay more for the trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
the Fastest/Cheapest way between Pittsburgh and NYC...Is the Red-Eye Greyhound Express.....that leaves the Burgh around 11pm and gets to NYC around 7:30 8am....No Stops other than the Rest/Eat Stop at Blue Sliding Hill. Now the company you're going to have on Greyhound will not be the best. Greyhound sorta caters to the Lowest Common Denominator (i.e Drifters and Bummy looking people). The Route Greyhound takes (PA TPKE to 81-78) I have found to be the fastest direct route to NYC.
that's particularly the case for the red eyes but yes, that's why greyhound created boltbus.

Old 10-28-2013, 01:34 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
The OP didn't mention if he/she had access to a car. If they do, my favorite way to NY is to drive to the Lancaster AMTRAk station, where they just expanded their park and ride ($6/day). Hop on the train there for the rest of the way to New York. It takes aboout four hours to drive to Lancaster and another three hours on the train to New York. Then you don't have to worry about driving, traffic or parking while in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh