Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 05:26 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times

Advertisements

Hope Yac is OK with this, not really a Pittsburgh item.

Stopped at a GetGo,(sp) to get a movie at a Redbox.

In front of the Redbox are handicapped parking spots, laid out in blue, pretty easy to see. As I park my car in the normal slots, a woman pulls up and parks in the handicapped spots. Looked pretty UN handicapped to me, didn't see a license plate or placard in her car.

God, I hate people like that. I should have crippled her.

Sorry, long day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 05:34 AM

708 posts, read 1,060,223 times
No, you are right. people like that are pretty disgusting.

Although,maybe she did have a placard and didn't put it up because she was only going to be there a minute.Who knows.

But if she was just someone who thinks the rules don't apply to her,well, then yes,she needs a comeuppance.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:38 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exnj1970 View Post
No, you are right. people like that are pretty disgusting.

Although,maybe she did have a placard and didn't put it up because she was only going to be there a minute.Who knows.

But if she was just someone who thinks the rules don't apply to her,well, then yes,she needs a comeuppance.
No, she was able bodied, I checked out the car left and right, no placard, no license. Just a big jagoff n'at.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:05 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
If we can accept that rudeness is a handicap then the woman was alright parking there.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:08 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
If we can accept that rudeness is a handicap then the woman was alright parking there.
Then all the spaces would be gone.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:01 AM

708 posts, read 1,060,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Then all the spaces would be gone.
Especially here in the Northeast.There would be nothing but handicapped spaces. Only a few regular spaces for the Canadians that venture down here,lol.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:21 AM

510 posts, read 905,774 times
I agree that people should have a placard or license plate if they are going to use a handicapped space. However, I encourage everyone to refrain from assuming everyone who looks able bodied actually is. When I was going through treatment for cancer, the radiation after chemo wiped me out. My radiologist gave me a handicapped placard to make things a little easier. One day I was at a supermarket and parked in a handicapped space, with my placard displayed. A woman started berating me about abusing the system, telling me about her sister in a wheelchair, accusing me of stealing or scamming the placard. I know I looked healthy--I had a very nice wig that looked real (I hated wearing that thing but one of my daughters would get hysterical when she saw my bald head so I suffered until I grew some fuzz), and I was in my early 30s. It was very upsetting and I didn't feel like I should have to tell this woman my life story. It really was an effort for me to even walk through the grocery store and an extra stretch through the parking lot might have put me over the edge (I feel like I should say my husband was willing to do all of these things but I insisted on doing something so I felt normal and like less of a burden to my family). I know my story is probably the exception and many people do use these spots because they are lazy or entitled, but I wanted to put this out there.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:25 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
A woman started berating me about abusing the system, telling me about her sister in a wheelchair, accusing me of stealing or scamming the placard. I know I looked healthy--I had a very nice wig that looked real (I hated wearing that thing but one of my daughters would get hysterical when she saw my bald head so I suffered until I grew some fuzz), and I was in my early 30s.
I would have ripped the wig off my head and screamed "You want to talk disabled, *****? I've got CANCER," all the while gesturing at her with the wig.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
I agree that people should have a placard or license plate if they are going to use a handicapped space. However, I encourage everyone to refrain from assuming everyone who looks able bodied actually is. When I was going through treatment for cancer, the radiation after chemo wiped me out. My radiologist gave me a handicapped placard to make things a little easier. One day I was at a supermarket and parked in a handicapped space, with my placard displayed. A woman started berating me about abusing the system, telling me about her sister in a wheelchair, accusing me of stealing or scamming the placard. I know I looked healthy--I had a very nice wig that looked real (I hated wearing that thing but one of my daughters would get hysterical when she saw my bald head so I suffered until I grew some fuzz), and I was in my early 30s. It was very upsetting and I didn't feel like I should have to tell this woman my life story. It really was an effort for me to even walk through the grocery store and an extra stretch through the parking lot might have put me over the edge (I feel like I should say my husband was willing to do all of these things but I insisted on doing something so I felt normal and like less of a burden to my family). I know my story is probably the exception and many people do use these spots because they are lazy or entitled, but I wanted to put this out there.
If you have the placard, there should be no questions asked.

I do know people, some in my own family, who abuse the placards. My sister-in-law had an expired placard that she suggested using one day at a crowded park. I guess her thought was that the cops wouldn't look too closely at it. My mother-in-law (different side of the fam) had one for my FIL, and she offered to give it to DH and I when we went to downtown Omaha one time. We refused both.

I would never question anyone who had one. I'm not the police.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:31 AM

567 posts, read 1,161,904 times
Agree with Katiana; unless you actually know this person's life, you can't be sure of anything. The tiny sliver you saw is unlikely to convey her whole story.

This woman experienced a similar such event: To the Author of the Anonymous Note Left on My Car Window | Suzanne Perryman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh