Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 09:18 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
A horrible comparison, but along the same note....Why do people litter so much these days?
I would actually be willing to bet that littering is no more (and possibly less) a problem "these days" than it ever has been historically (or at least since the advent of disposable wrappers, etc.). Do you think Pittsburgh's streets and highways were super pristine in the 1970s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 09:25 AM

778 posts, read 840,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
I would actually be willing to bet that littering is no more (and possibly less) a problem "these days" than it ever has been historically (or at least since the advent of disposable wrappers, etc.). Do you think Pittsburgh's streets and highways were super pristine in the 1970s?
I can actually report as an eye-witnessed that people now litter way WAY less than they used to. Like, an astonishing amount less. (And yes, there is still a lot of litter. There used to be much, much more.)

Old 10-14-2014, 09:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
What a cool simple little psychological study. We go from murders in October, which are pretty shocking, to litter. Kind of a classic bury one's head in the sand. All is well! Lets have a look at the litter problem. We aren't that sanitation worker or his family. It seems litter may not be as bad as in the 70's.

I actually needed that. Thanks. Sometimes I just get upset over all these black people killing themselves. The percentage is really alarming. I of course do worry a bit about crossfire or getting robbed while riding my bike around. It is a little different than driving a car to say the least, but I have to keep riding because it makes me happy.

Yeah, litter might not be as bad as in years past. Maybe that is where my mind should be focused. Too much reality isn't good. Thanks again for a realignment. I shouldn't get caught up in this stuff. It isn't good for you to focus on problems all the time.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:41 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post

I actually needed that. Thanks. Sometimes I just get upset over all these black people killing themselves. The percentage is really alarming. I of course do worry a bit about crossfire or getting robbed while riding my bike around. It is a little different than driving a car to say the least, but I have to keep riding because it makes me happy. .
There are exceptions to every rule, but the majority of the black-on-black shootings have to do with the organized crime element around here.

If a crack dealer or wholesaler or customer has a problem with the price or quality of the product, or the exclusivity of his sales territorym he can hardly take the dispute to court and violence is the only way to resolve it.

Its just not terribly likely that the average joe around here is likely to be involved, although crossfire is certainly a possibility and does happen, it doesn't happen very often. We aren't see armed robbers shooting their victims in the streets.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:44 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
I'll bet dollars to donuts the garbage man's murder wasn't random. Just because he has a job doesn't mean he wasn't involved in the drug game. Let me get this straight, a complete random murder, before 8AM, execution style, where car is shot to hell. Some dudes just happened to be looking for somebody sitting in their car to make a thrill-kill homicide, riiiiiight. None of the other shootings were random either. GG I'm not saying the city can't be crazy and dangerous, but it's WAY less dangerous to regular (employed and not in drug activities) every day people.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I'll bet dollars to donuts the garbage man's murder wasn't random.
It is certainly "possible" that it was random, but not very likely.

I never heard of anti-sanitation activists getting violent like this

Old 10-14-2014, 09:50 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
There are exceptions to every rule, but the majority of the black-on-black shootings have to do with the organized crime element around here.
Yeah, I know, but they are KIDS! They haven't even started living yet and BOOM dead. They don't know better at that age. You remember..... invincible. Sadly, they find out in a different manner than most people. Most people see death of others from car wrecks, cancer and other methods to educate oneself over the years, that wow, that could be me. It doesn't click in when you are 18 years old for the most part.

Ah... what can be done? I already stated the real fix, but I don't think it will happen. In case anyone didn't read the real fix, it is pretty simple. You need kids to be busy with sports and activities in their free time, so there is no free time. Just good times in the gym or outside, not sitting around bored looking for anything to do. There needs to be mentors and gym time. Activity to let all the frustrations of life out and to be part of a group that plays, not kills. It is fun to dream. I don't think I will live long enough to see any changes. I think we are moving more towards a police state instead of really fixing problems and issues. Being a police state seems easier because we just pay more people to beat the crap out of kids and put them in jail. That is easier than trying to find mentors and get gyms for use. We used to play at our middle and high school gyms at night. It was GREAT!

Old 10-14-2014, 09:59 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
I'll bet dollars to donuts the garbage man's murder wasn't random. Just because he has a job doesn't mean he wasn't involved in the drug game. Let me get this straight, a complete random murder, before 8AM, execution style, where car is shot to hell. Some dudes just happened to be looking for somebody sitting in their car to make a thrill-kill homicide, riiiiiight. None of the other shootings were random either. GG I'm not saying the city can't be crazy and dangerous, but it's WAY less dangerous to regular (employed and not in drug activities) every day people.
Yeah, you are probably right. Maybe I am trying to prepare myself in some way. I have gotten a death threat riding my bike by some black guy in a car behind me. He just simply stated, "I will run you over". I haven't had anyone pull a gun on me yet. I try to keep moving if it looks questionable ahead, or a take a different route. I know there are rocks thrown and a host of other situations when riding a bike that all you motorists don't get. We are out there, but the pedestrian is even a little more up close and personal than cyclists. I can outrun a person, although Bolt can run over 23mph! Thankfully, I can ride faster and there aren't too many Usain Bolt's out there. I can't outrun a gunshot, but there are probably easier targets than some dude riding over 20mph on a bike swerving around trying to miss potholes.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:10 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Wow, I said I wasn't comparing murder to litter, and yet you turn around and mock me for comparing murder to litter.

As for litter being less, is it because people litter less or more people pick up after them? This is not about litter anyway....I was talking about the attitude, not the act.

I am a runner, and I actually for the first time EVER while running the streets in all areas of Pittsburgh thought for a moment while running through Uptown this weekend, that this may not be the safest route anymore as for what has been going on lately. I have never had to think about that. So I get what you are saying....and as a city resident, a home owner, and someone who actually gets out into many of the city neighborhoods on a regular basis I hear you...

Old 10-14-2014, 10:19 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Carrick has has two violent home invasions in the past few months and another last year. They were random crimes of opportunity and people were shot (some killed) in all of them. It's not a neighborhood where violence against strangers is exactly uncommon. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the sanitation worker situation was random.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh