Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:44 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,302 times

Advertisements

Sad news. People questioned in connection with fatal Hill District... | www.wpxi.com Teen (Highschool senior) was shot before school today in the Hill District (Morgan St, Middle Hill area-not gang turf but a traditionally rough street in terms of violence).

not to revive an old thread, but this is increasing violence in October...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 09:47 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Sad news. People questioned in connection with fatal Hill District... | www.wpxi.com Teen (Highschool senior) was shot before school today in the Hill District (Morgan St, Middle Hill area-not gang turf but a traditionally rough street in terms of violence).

not to revive an old thread, but this is increasing violence in October...
The amount of rage there must be in certain circles is really quite amazing. I don't even understand kids shooting other kids all the time. I can't imagine growing up in the Hill District, but some people somehow get out of there alive and become successful. What can be done about this violence in the near term? It has been going on for decades with no end in sight and I don't think it will EVER end. Will anyone step forward with information? Do you think this is drugs like usual, or could it be much smaller, like an argument that escalated to murder? Imagine being some high school kid walking out of your home to go to school and being shot several times. This is what some neighborhoods are like as we see so often on the news.

I have said time and time again, the only real solution is to keep kids busy ALL the time. They need mentors and gyms to go to, not free time to hang out. Kids need things to do instead of running around shooting each other. It really is an odd life that some folks are leading. Talk about short lives and a feeling of complete hopelessness. Not even getting out of High School to have a chance at life. I guess I don't get that kind of living. People wonder why there is a TON of urban sprawl. This is your answer. Why is Cranberry so huge? People don't want to be anywhere near this crap! I would NEVER send my child to a city school in Pittsburgh! NO WAY! It really is getting old to hear about this stuff all the time. Guess I am just getting old and tired. I really need to get further from the city. Never know when a stray bullet will hit you I guess!

Old 10-09-2014, 06:38 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I guess I don't get that kind of living. People wonder why there is a TON of urban sprawl. This is your answer. Why is Cranberry so huge? People don't want to be anywhere near this crap! I would NEVER send my child to a city school in Pittsburgh! NO WAY! It really is getting old to hear about this stuff all the time. Guess I am just getting old and tired. I really need to get further from the city. Never know when a stray bullet will hit you I guess!
Exaggerate much?

I live within walking distance of where this happened, and the homes across the street from me are being renovated into $350,000 residences as extreme gentrification takes hold. I never feel concerned for my personal safety. The Middle Hill District may be a ghetto wasteland for decades to come due to shenanigans like this, but that doesn't mean the Upper Hill, Lower Hill, Polish Hill, and other adjoining areas aren't taking off as desirable neighborhoods. If and when I buy a home in this neighborhood and opt to raise a family in this neighborhood, we'll have no issue sending our child(ren) to the public Woolslair Elementary.

If people are moving to Cranberry to be far away from the Hill District, then they are mentally disturbed---plain and simple.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:07 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
"Never know when a stray bullet will hit you I guess" You mean like the one that hit the baby in the head last week out in the sticks? Freak accident for sure, but don't pretend that the suburbs is some fairy land that protects you and yours from violent crime/accidents. Alex Hribal? Franklin Regional isn't a city school. I live in the city with kids, mine go to a charter. There are options other than your neighborhood school

Old 10-09-2014, 07:08 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Said it a million times, different strokes for different folks. A whole bunch of people don't want their kids near the sh*thole high schools of Pittsburgh and move to the suburbs. Others who have money will stay in the city and send their kids to private (usually Catholic) schools. A third can't afford any of these options and will have to send their kids to PPS regardless of issues if violence (that was me). Damn near everyone I know that went to PPS got into at least one fight (even my quiet, laid back wife).

So yeah, whenever you hear "I want my child to go to a good school" it's code for "I want my kid to be physically safe while going to school".

Old 10-09-2014, 07:37 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
So yeah, whenever you hear "I want my child to go to a good school" it's code for "I want my kid to be physically safe while going to school".
Why does this have to be the case, though? Why can't enough upstanding middle-class parents form a dense nexus that will help to bolster the city's schools instead of all fleeing to the suburbs when their kids become of school age?

Old 10-09-2014, 07:50 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Why does this have to be the case, though? Why can't enough upstanding middle-class parents form a dense nexus that will help to bolster the city's schools instead of all fleeing to the suburbs when their kids become of school age?
Probably because people don't want their kids to be around others whom see murder as a viable option for settling disputes & think joining a street gang is normal behavior for some crazy reason.

I may have went to a pretty sh*tty school growing up, but personal safety wasn't one of my concerns.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:51 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
Because it takes a really long time, a lot of organization, possibly resistance/resentment from the locals, and even a few disruptive students can overcome an army of concerned parents. Even homeschooling is easier. At some point you get tired of beating your head against a wall, and what people forget is improvements are a long slow slog and in the meantime it's your kid in the middle of it.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:11 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
The amount of rage there must be in certain circles is really quite amazing. I don't even understand kids shooting other kids all the time. I can't imagine growing up in the Hill District, but some people somehow get out of there alive and become successful. What can be done about this violence in the near term? It has been going on for decades with no end in sight and I don't think it will EVER end. Will anyone step forward with information? Do you think this is drugs like usual, or could it be much smaller, like an argument that escalated to murder? Imagine being some high school kid walking out of your home to go to school and being shot several times. This is what some neighborhoods are like as we see so often on the news.

I have said time and time again, the only real solution is to keep kids busy ALL the time. They need mentors and gyms to go to, not free time to hang out. Kids need things to do instead of running around shooting each other. It really is an odd life that some folks are leading. Talk about short lives and a feeling of complete hopelessness. Not even getting out of High School to have a chance at life. I guess I don't get that kind of living. People wonder why there is a TON of urban sprawl. This is your answer. Why is Cranberry so huge? People don't want to be anywhere near this crap! I would NEVER send my child to a city school in Pittsburgh! NO WAY! It really is getting old to hear about this stuff all the time. Guess I am just getting old and tired. I really need to get further from the city. Never know when a stray bullet will hit you I guess!
A. It is called suburban sprwal. There is nothing Urban about cranberry.

B. Areas like cranberry are competing with and stealing people from Ross Township and townships that border Wexford. Almost nobody decides between Wylie Avenue and freedom Road. Mainly because they dont have that luxury.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:33 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Essentially no decent parent is going to willingly put their kids in a bad situation for a theoretical "greater good". Plus you're talking about American schools which are in shambles across the country. A few parents who have kids that aren't nutjobs aren't going to save a failing educational system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh