Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 01:24 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Never in California? REALLY? Service here is SO horrible I shop almost exclusively online. I once went to Nordstroms for shoes, explained I needed flats because I have bad knees and the guy took FOREVER to bring out several pairs of 2 1/2 inch heels.... because they were flatter than stilettos. Then gave me attitude when I wouldn't even try them on. Sent him back a second time AFTER I picked up what I call a flat shoe.

Came back with several more boxes of 2 inch heels.

I had to go somewhere else and then come back for a different clerk... who wasn't much better but at least understood what flats were.

Restaurants take forever to refill coffee cups, and trying new places is a whole new experience in what's going to come out of the kitchen cold, and just how long are we going to be trapped here till they bring they check? And I can't figure out how some of these places sell dessert. They don't even ask anymore.
I lived in Sorrento valley near mira mesa in san diego, took a flight to L.A and trains to SF often with my roommate and while there have been hit and misses, not really.

hell I could even say that northern VA is WAY different than SOVA in every aspect. Service there in Norfolk and such is slower than that of the dc area too for the most part.

maybe yes, I am spoiled by those places I go to since they hussle when busy. I just didn't, but should have, expected such reaction here when I said this. Just my simple analysis of here from MY OWN perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 01:32 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
BarqCider, I'm sorry that Pittsburgh hasn't been the Valhalla you were hoping it would be. I truly am (not saying this sarcastically). I was excited initially for you to move here and was hoping it would be an improvement for your quality-of-life. I love seeing the stories of people like okaydorothy, PreservationPioneer, and Goodjules (where has she been, anyways?) where their move here has been generally an improvement. When I see that someone's move here worsened their quality-of-life, as it apparently has for you, it can be quite defeating emotionally because many of us wish nothing but the best for others. While you were ambivalent living in NoVA I was absolutely miserable living there, yet I took to Pittsburgh like a fish to water, which indicates you can't provide any credence to those who say "bloom where you are planted" or "if you don't like a facet of an area, then problem must be with YOU!"

With that being said I'll agree with BurghGirl17 that your posting history, overall, has been quite negative. I'm the king of exaggerations ("East End Housing Crisis", anyone?), but even I'll admit you're almost as bad as zman63 with the gloominess. I was oft-maligned on the NoVA sub-forum and ended up being considered a "troll" because I didn't share the sub-forum's affinity for chain restaurants, McMansions, and strip malls. While I encourage you to identify areas here that need improvement I also don't want you to earn the "Debbie Downer" designation that I still have on the NoVA sub-forum and that zman63 has on this sub-forum. Try listing five things you actually LIKE about living here, and try to focus your energies on making those facets even better and more prominent in your life while minimizing the exposure you have to the negatives.
lol thanks SCR. I don't see this place that negatively. I actually like it, but I tend to say what bugs me here. Maybe I should post more of what I do like. I feel me and you are similar but opposites in terms of nova and PGH. I like it here, I see the good of it, but perhaps this is one city not meant for me and im not going to hate it. It's a life experience for me and im thankful I get to see how society in other places function collectively outside of my bubble. However it feels sort of like NYC folks here with the "if you don't like it, GTFO" mentality that somewhat irks me.

I like downtown and the look of downtown. I like the look and things in the waterfront, north short and wherever the hell in mt.washington I drove up to get a look of the city from a mountain. I like how in a small way, it reminds me of south America where my relatives are. the streets width,etc just remind of that. I personally love Oakland by pitt and CMU.

I guess in a sense im used to chain or semi chains and expect that. heck, im still trying to think of a theatre to go to for a movie that is close lol.

I think deep down im more of a suburban type of guy than city. I personally never liked going to DC and loathed taking out of town relatives to the sites to see downtown. Maybe that is it.
ps: you tip 18% standard? dang, I need to lower mine. I tip 25% regardless. Im overtipping then lol.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
However it feels sort of like NYC folks here with the "if you don't like it, GTFO" mentality that somewhat irks me.
I've moved a lot in my life. Lived in a few different countries, and in big cities and in small towns. Lived on the west coast, in the mid west, in the south, and in the north east. Here's something I've learned: No matter where you live, you'll encounter that mentality. It might come across as rude, but "If you don't like it here, you can always GTFO" isn't really the rude message it sometimes sounds like. It's basic human nature (and often good advice). In some cities they say it bluntly, in others they're more polite about it--but the message is the same.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 AM

248 posts, read 326,342 times
Quote:
I guess in a sense im used to chain or semi chains and expect that. heck, im still trying to think of a theatre to go to for a movie that is close lol.

I think deep down im more of a suburban type of guy than city. I personally never liked going to DC and loathed taking out of town relatives to the sites to see downtown.
I think you probably nailed it there. I'm the opposite, I lived around D.C. for 14 years and always preferred the city over the suburbs. I never actually lived in the city for various reasons but came pretty close (near the Bethesda metro station for instance). I loved going downtown.

Pittsburgh is the best of both worlds in some way, at least to me. You can live in the city but still have easy access to all of the surrounding areas. In D.C. you pretty much have to stay in one or the other due to traffic.

If you really like the suburbs though Pittsburgh might be a tough fit. Did you look at living outside of the city?

Old 11-13-2013, 08:48 AM

248 posts, read 326,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Does anyone know of a you tube video showing this? That would be a nice thing to watch a few dozen times.
If you search youtube for Fort Pitt tunnel you'll find a few that I watched yesterday. I didn't find one that particularly stood out though. I think they have a hard time capturing the experience because cameras don't adjust to the change in lighting too well.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:43 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,865 times
Quote:
lol thanks SCR. I don't see this place that negatively. I actually like it, but I tend to say what bugs me here. Maybe I should post more of what I do like. I feel me and you are similar but opposites in terms of nova and PGH. I like it here, I see the good of it, but perhaps this is one city not meant for me and im not going to hate it. It's a life experience for me and im thankful I get to see how society in other places function collectively outside of my bubble. However it feels sort of like NYC folks here with the "if you don't like it, GTFO" mentality that somewhat irks me.

I like downtown and the look of downtown. I like the look and things in the waterfront, north short and wherever the hell in mt.washington I drove up to get a look of the city from a mountain. I like how in a small way, it reminds me of south America where my relatives are. the streets width,etc just remind of that. I personally love Oakland by pitt and CMU.

I think deep down im more of a suburban type of guy than city. I personally never liked going to DC and loathed taking out of town relatives to the sites to see downtown. Maybe that is it.
ps: you tip 18% standard? dang, I need to lower mine. I tip 25% regardless. Im overtipping then lol.
I feel like you're figuring out both yourself and Pittsburgh and the threads you start are a reflection of that. I think hostility towards them are unfounded, but largely influenced by postings from others who have been unrelentingly negative.

It's interesting that you see yourself as suburban but also like Central Oakland, which is anything but. Pittsburgh isn't DC, though, in terms of getting downtown (easier to drive to, but no metro), and I suppose it's just a matter of getting used to things.

I believe the closest cinema to where you live is the Waterworks. I've never seen a movie there myself and I recall reading mixed reviews on this forum, but it is a venue for the Three Rivers Film Festival this year if you're interested in that.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:26 AM

814 posts, read 1,150,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
I believe the closest cinema to where you live is the Waterworks. I've never seen a movie there myself and I recall reading mixed reviews on this forum, but it is a venue for the Three Rivers Film Festival this year if you're interested in that.
Definitely check out the Manor in Squirrel Hill. Waterworks is a little closer but it's a totally generic suburban multi-plex (and an earlier-era one at that, so it's not even as comfortable as today's big box theaters). The Manor, on the other hand, is an absolute gem of a "Main Street" movie house. The movie selection is usually top notch, and they serve booze there now, too.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:41 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Definitely check out the Manor in Squirrel Hill. Waterworks is a little closer but it's a totally generic suburban multi-plex (and an earlier-era one at that, so it's not even as comfortable as today's big box theaters). The Manor, on the other hand, is an absolute gem of a "Main Street" movie house. The movie selection is usually top notch, and they serve booze there now, too.
I agree. I was making a suggestion to BarqCider, not stating my own opinion. I see movies at the Manor more often than I do any other place.

Now for the Squirrel Hill Theatre to be reborn. I was disappointed to see "The Hurt Locker" taken down from the marquee not long ago.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:07 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,304 times
Quote:
Can't understand why it takes so long for anything to get done in these fields. I see so many folks with a "I hate this job"look tothem.
I never had such feelings felt before on such consistent basis until I Moved here.
Maybe they do actually and legitimately hate their jobs. Maybe they've all been laid off from something better, and now are stuck with low-pay part-time jobs with no benefits. Or, they are college grads who hung around looking for work but are still stuck in the "student job" because nobody is hiring fulltime workers so they can't find a real job in whatever they trained for. Most of the retail businesses are only hiring part-time, and they don't have enough salespeople or cashiers on the floor for when the store gets buys. And the lean staffing means the workers are overworked and frazzled, and the customers have to wait. Complain that the too-lean staffing / understaffing is inconvenient for you, not that workers seem to hate their jobs, whenever you complete your customer satisfaction surveys.

Face it: Food server or salesclerk is not the dream job for very many adults.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:21 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Most of the retail businesses are only hiring part-time, and they don't have enough salespeople or cashiers on the floor for when the store gets buys. And the lean staffing means the workers are overworked and frazzled, and the customers have to wait.
You know, you may have just hit the nail on the head. Customer service is slower everywhere because companies are hiring less and less staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh