Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 06:22 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The Pittsburgh area has always been friendly enough to new immigrants, zman.

You never heard of the Pittsburgh Folk Festival, or the nationality rooms in the Cathedral??

Its just that our economics didn't make this a place that people wanted to migrate to in recent decades. If the area gets new industries and employment generators, you'll see plenty of folks coming in from all over.

The 130 municipalities in Allegheny County didn't hinder past economic development, I just don't see getting rid of them as helping future opportunity
No it hasnt. The 130 municipalities formed when this area had money and it was a means of keeping minorities isolated. The last time allegheny county offically grew was in the 1960 census. The county has lost over 400k residents since then. We still have more deaths than births. The system they run will never attract enough new people to offset losses. It will never truly grow and change as it could or should. Status quo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 06:36 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,394,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The Pittsburgh area has always been friendly enough to new immigrants, zman.

You never heard of the Pittsburgh Folk Festival, or the nationality rooms in the Cathedral??

Its just that our economics didn't make this a place that people wanted to migrate to in recent decades. If the area gets new industries and employment generators, you'll see plenty of folks coming in from all over.

The 130 municipalities in Allegheny County didn't hinder past economic development, I just don't see getting rid of them as helping future opportunity
They paid for a rand study in 2008.

Government Consolidation and Economic Development in Allegheny County and the City of Pittsburgh | RAND

Old 11-10-2013, 07:28 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
You don't live here either if it is so wonderful then move here and help change it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
I do contribute. I provide valuable insight and an unbiased opinion to the minions on this board
Regardless of which one you read, your answer is exactly what I surmised: you do nothing. Your contributions to your community amount to nothing more than a litany of negative and occasionally pugnacious opinions left on an Internet message board. This is especially enlightening considering that you, earlier in this thread, admonished a non-Pittsburgher to move to the city to contribute to it. It is hypocrisy to admonish someone else to do something that you will not do yourself.

It is all too easy to sit safely behind a computer screen and release screeds not only against the bad aspects you see to Pittsburgh, but also against the people who would dare to disagree with you. If you see litter in the streets, pick it up. If you feel that the people you see on the street are unfriendly scowling, smile back at them. Be the change you want to see in Pittsburgh. Anything else short of that is whining and laziness.

I am a Pittsburgher and happy to be living here. It is the sort of place I want to contribute to, in whatever small way I can, because there are plenty of people who have a spirit of positivism and have a community-driven zeal. It is this sort of attitude that can help make Pittsburgh, or any place, a good place to live. Your "valuable insight" is quite different. It accomplishes nothing.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:03 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,913,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's worse down South and try Vermont.

In southern Virginia, we requested back bank records for my sister's account when we were handling her estate. After a week, we inquired why we had not received them. We were told it takes time. When we told them in Pittsburgh all we have to do is walk into a bank and they print them out immediately, the response was, "I don't understand how you can live under so much pressure up North."

A week in Vermont is a test of patience. You need to get your zen on there. You'll spend endless time watching people prepare food for you when the business is empty. A sandwich that will take 5 minutes taking your time takes them 20 minutes. Lots of talking to each other and not focusing on the task at hand. They're not miserable, but they aren't the least bit interested in customer service. There's no need. Your a captive audience since there are very few places to eat within X miles of an area.

BC, you couldn't wait to move to Pittsburgh because you hated DC. Now you're complaining about Pittsburgh. It's time for some self reflection because it seems you are the type of person who isn't happy anywhere.
I never had issues in CA, STL, part of FL and texas. hit or miss in the dc area, parts of philly even but it seems here life tends to be slower, but it seems like it demands like it needs to be a bit faster.

don't get me wrong, for the most part ive had great service and friendly folks. im not bitter or hate it here really.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:13 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
don't get me wrong, for the most part ive had great service and friendly folks.
So....what was your point?

Old 11-11-2013, 05:34 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Did that already. In PA. Forty years ago.

You are quite a piece of work.
LOL you know I almost said that, in fact, you used to be one. I thought I recalled you once saying you'd done it back in the day.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:57 AM

674 posts, read 1,413,079 times
Quote:
Can't understand why it takes so long for anything to get done in these fields. I see so many folks with a "I hate this job"look tothem.
I never had such feelings felt before on such consistent basis until I Moved here.
You have this very same vibe, about everything related to Pittsburgh. All you do it look for negative things and make generalizing complaints about it here.

Your complaints about your teachers: //www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...languages.html

Complaints about the city, your instructors, and having to work while going to school because you didn't get the financial aid you think you deserve: //www.city-data.com/forum/colle...niversity.html

Complaints about the social scene: //www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ot-social.html

I could go on and on - just look through your posting history. Almost all of your threads are complaining about something or other. As has been said by numerous people in response to a number of your threads and posts - most of this isn't about Pittsburgh, it is about you. If you complain about these things so extensively here, you must give off this kind of "I hate everything about this place" vibe in real life. People aren't going to give you the warm fuzzies if you're giving off that vibe.

You don't seem to know what you want to do with life or where you want to go, and you are deflecting all of that towards other things- the city, the people, your instructors, etc.

You say you're not bitter and don't hate it here, but nearly every single post you make says otherwise. You have one or two subpar experiences then turn that into a broad generalization that Pittsburgh sucks, as you have in this thread.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:36 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
I never thought service was slow here. In fact, it seems to be the American standard. If you want slow go to most of Europe. Although I have to say that the people that you deal with in retail or food service that you don't tip can be quite miserable in Pittsburgh.

But if you even make a passing reference to something negative about the city you get the canned responses: It happens somewhere else, it's your fault, It happens somewhere else, it's your fault,It happens somewhere else, it's your fault,It happens somewhere else, it's your fault, etc.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:07 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
If you want slow go to most of Europe.
1. The slowest restaurant service I have ever experienced was in Slovakia.
2. Pittsburgh received many Slovak immigrants through the years.
ERGO
3. Pittsburgh has slow restaurant service.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:14 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Quote:
don't get me wrong, for the most part ive had great service and friendly folks.
Then why is your thread title a generalization that states something else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh