Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 03:27 PM

802 posts, read 1,318,748 times

Advertisements

I came across an article in the Philadelphia Inquirer today. It was about how gentrification is threatening to take over Chinatown in three cities. New York, Boston and Philly. One of the paragraphs said that the Chinatown in Pittsburgh was demolished to make room for the highway. I never knew that. I thought that Pittsburgh had a small Chinatown to begin with. To me that's even worse than losing a neighborhood to gentrification.

How many other neighborhoods have been plowed under to make way for highways & roads? I know that a huge section of the North Side was.

By the way I tried to search for the other thread where the topic was Chinatown so I could post there, but I was unable to find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 03:44 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,234,135 times
There are still 2 building left in Pittsurgh's Chinatown- the Chinatown Inn on 3rd Ave., and one other house over on 2nd Avenue.

The construction of the Blvd of Allies back in the 30's took out a lot of the buildings there.

Pennsylvasia: Pittsburgh's Chinatown.

Pittsburgh has had several neighborhood's taken out by highway construction.

Almost the entire East St. Valley (except for St. Boniface Church and a handful of houses around it) as well as large sections of Deutschtown and Manchester bit the dust for highway construction.

In addition, we've had large sections taken out for other major projects, big sections of residential South Side and Homestead were lost to mill expansions at J&L and US Steel in the 40's and 50's.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:51 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,802,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
There are still 2 building left in Pittsurgh's Chinatown- the Chinatown Inn on 3rd Ave., and one other house over on 2nd Avenue.

The construction of the Blvd of Allies back in the 30's took out a lot of the buildings there.

Pennsylvasia: Pittsburgh's Chinatown.
Actually the '20s, and the on-ramp to the Blvd actually took out a park, not buildings, but it still hastened the decline of what was a very small but active Chinatown. The two buildings with slight Chinese motifs, as Spam mentioned, are really all that's left, and even then it's more of a nominal Chinatown than an actual one.

The Post-Gazette has an article from 2003 still viewable on the web that goes into the history some.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:19 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,864,129 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Actually the '20s, and the on-ramp to the Blvd actually took out a park, not buildings
So the Allies for whom the Boulevard is named were the ones from WWI rather than WWII, I take it. Or is there some other meaning of "Allies"?

Old 11-11-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
So the Allies for whom the Boulevard is named were the ones from WWI rather than WWII, I take it. Or is there some other meaning of "Allies"?
Yes, the road was named for the WWI Allies of the UK, France, and Russia, not the WWII Allies of the UK, Free France, and the Soviet Union. It was also the most expensive road in the world at the time it was built.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:30 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,564,731 times
Quote:
Yes, the road was named for the WWI Allies of the UK, France, and Russia, not the WWII Allies of the UK, Free France, and the Soviet Union. It was also the most expensive road in the world at the time it was built.
Italy was part of the WWI alliance.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:20 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,234,135 times
Quote:
. It was also the most expensive road in the world at the time it was built.

Here's the link on it, $1.6 Million per mile to build, it was the most expensive per mile to build.

Boulevard of the Allies

Old 11-11-2013, 06:35 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,864,129 times
Quote:
Here's the link on it, $1.6 Million per mile to build, it was the most expensive per mile to build.

Boulevard of the Allies
Monongahela Boulevard. I did not know that. Thanks.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:54 PM

14,362 posts, read 16,957,263 times
Man, that Chinatown article was depressing. More because the block looked 1,000 times better in 1921 than it does today. It seems even the remaining "historic" Chinatown buildings have been remuddled.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Italy was part of the WWI alliance.
But not WWII, thereby ruining the flow of the sentence had I included them. Not like it stops there anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh