Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 02:58 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,231 times

Advertisements

I guess I was just using meat loaf as an example. You could also replace it with hot turkey, or roast beef. I have had mile high meat loaf at Eat n' Park. It was decent I was just using an example of old fashioned home cooked meals. I think when the dust settles, people are going to want less Saturn and more Moon. Fads come and go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 08:07 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,223 times
Went there tonight. Wasn't what I was expecting (no beer in a place with "pub" in the name?). However, the food was exceptional. Wife had the haddock fish & chips, I had the perch taco, side of slaw. Best fish & chips I've had in Pgh (granted, bar is fairly low), and at $8, it's spectacular. The perch in the taco was also deep fried, not greasy at all. Chips are fairly thick, nice bite on outside, fluffy potato inside. Slaw was fresh. Couldn't ask for more, except a beer to go with it. No frills. Plastic utensils, limited seating, all food served in a bag to go. But an excellent recommendation.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:34 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
I guess I was just using meat loaf as an example. You could also replace it with hot turkey, or roast beef. I have had mile high meat loaf at Eat n' Park. It was decent I was just using an example of old fashioned home cooked meals. I think when the dust settles, people are going to want less Saturn and more Moon. Fads come and go.
There's a place and time for all types of food. I love meat loaf and mash. I also love weird high quality fusiony food as long as it doesn't try too hard. The place in the South Hills you linked to sounds worthy - I'm down with anywhere that serves goat curry, even with reggae. And I love good quality Asian food - $10 for a authentic Thai red curry at Curry on Murray tonight rocks my boat big time.

I also love fish n'chips, and meat pies. I'll make it there soon. I hope it's doing good business.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:49 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,715,521 times
Went here recently, wasn't feeling it. Chips were tasteless and kinda stale, fish was alright. Not a lot of seating and no actual beer served. I'll give it a second chance later on down the line.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:52 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,022 times
It is trying to copy the choppers in England and Ireland. They do not serve beer and usually it is a takeaway so there would not be many chairs.
I was there last week and liked it. Guess I must be loosing my accent as the gal explained to me what chips were��
Would go again def

Old 12-04-2013, 11:57 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
It is trying to copy the choppers in England and Ireland. They do not serve beer and usually it is a takeaway so there would not be many chairs.
I was there last week and liked it. Guess I must be loosing my accent as the gal explained to me what chips were��
Would go again def
The experience sounds extremely authentic. Was the food? I guess you'd go again so it sounds promising. Next week I shall sample.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:14 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,715,521 times
If they're going for authenticity then I guess they have it nailed down. The food was quite bad when I was in Ireland.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Would go again def
^ Finally, a review from the OFFICIAL Irish source!

Sounds like a place I'll scope out. I love fish 'n chips. $8 is a steal, too! I'm just not sure how good it will be reheated, since I doubt it will still be warm if I have to grab it and take it home.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:55 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Went there tonight. Wasn't what I was expecting (no beer in a place with "pub" in the name?). However, the food was exceptional. Wife had the haddock fish & chips, I had the perch taco, side of slaw. Best fish & chips I've had in Pgh (granted, bar is fairly low), and at $8, it's spectacular. The perch in the taco was also deep fried, not greasy at all. Chips are fairly thick, nice bite on outside, fluffy potato inside. Slaw was fresh. Couldn't ask for more, except a beer to go with it. No frills. Plastic utensils, limited seating, all food served in a bag to go. But an excellent recommendation.
The "Pub" is Piper's, next door. Top tip, that is where the beer is at.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:29 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,022 times
Food at home can be good and bad. The best places for food in Ireland are in the little pubs, little villages.
The chipper at home is a place where you buy your food ; fries, sausages, fish, chicken cooked, mushrooms, peas, wrapped in newspaper or white paper, and bring them home. Most have a few seats, but more bar seats. They never ever sell beer ; mainly soda. The fries never travel well ; they are better eaten freshly made.
My son was with me and he liked it, but did say it wasn't as good as the chipper he frequents when he goes to Ireland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh