Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 03:49 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
This is not good news. I have been calling for a county wide school district. Since it will never happen, maybe we should disband the city school district and ship the city kids to the suburban districts. [/url]
Anyone who would try to do that would be well advised to have someone else to start his car for him from here on out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 03:52 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
As far as what?
Test scores (the driving force behind any school ranking list, whether directly or by proxy). So it's more like a 1:1 good to sucky ratio in the County of Allegheny. Chartiers Valley, which, IIRC, you cited as having good schools, happens to sit at about that cutoff.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:55 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Test scores (the driving force behind any school ranking list, whether directly or by proxy). So it's more like a 1:1 good to sucky ratio in the County of Allegheny.
More like 1:1.5. Another 1/3 would be considered decent or okay. The last third would be "sucky"

Old 11-13-2013, 04:02 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
More like 1:1.5. Another 1/3 would be considered decent or okay. The last third would be "sucky"
I'd rate the middle third "high acceptable" to "low mediocre" but everyone's going to come out slightly differently on these things.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:10 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
I'd rate the middle third "high acceptable" to "low mediocre" but everyone's going to come out slightly differently on these things.
Yeah you get my point though. Zman saying for every one good district equals four crap ones (80% bad vs 20% good) is ludicrous.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:18 PM

1,010 posts, read 1,393,952 times
Quote:
Test scores (the driving force behind any school ranking list, whether directly or by proxy). So it's more like a 1:1 good to sucky ratio in the County of Allegheny. Chartiers Valley, which, IIRC, you cited as having good schools, happens to sit at about that cutoff.
I think its decent and an affordable district for western pa. Char Valley has been one of the most stable of the middle class school districts. But how stable is it? Even North Allegheny, one of the best districts in the county, was debating on whether to close schools.

I just don't see Allegheny County being able to sustain 42 school districts in the very near future. Keystone Oaks, Penn Hills, North Hills, East Allegheny, Northgate, Gateway and Woodland Hills were pretty good school districts 10 -15 years ago. All of them have gone downhill in enrollment, tax revenue and overall education. How about Mt. Lebanon, is their school enrollment higher now than 10 years ago? They raised taxes to build a new high school. The same can be said for Bethel Park, Moon and Montour. All new high schools, but is their enrollment growing or declining?

Pittsburgh Public Schools had 40,000 students in 1997. Today, they are around 24,000 students. That is a huge drop off. You never hear about the enrollment for the rest of the Allegheny County school districts. As bad as the city drop off was I think the suburbs have dropped off greatly as well.

Do you truly believe Allegheny County is going to be able to sustain 42 school districts? It just seems like the end is near to keep this type of conglomerate.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:24 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
The sky is falling!

Old 11-13-2013, 06:25 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Quote:

Do you truly believe Allegheny County is going to be able to sustain 42 school districts? It just seems like the end is near to keep this type of conglomerate.

I don't see why not.

Some of the school districts might not be able to economically sustain high schools, and may well seek to pay tuition in other school districts. But even under those circumstances, they will still exercising control over the education of the children in their districts.

Seems a lot more preferable for public involvement to keep this kind of activity done on a local level rather than force people to go to Oakland and deal with a bureaucracy to get things done and advance their opinions and ideas on education.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
I walked to school for 7 years, came home at lunch and my Mother had it waiting. Then we merged, now I had to ride a stinkin' bus. Say what you want, but I have no problem with that many school districts.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 PM

480 posts, read 611,575 times
And now they want to raise school taxes in the city. How wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh