Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 05:28 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,393,952 times

Advertisements

I wonder if this store will make it a year.

New Shop 'n Save grocery store in Hill District lays off 30 employees | TribLIVE Mobile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 05:32 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Or such adjustments are completely normal when a large retail store just opens...

Last edited by UKyank; 11-15-2013 at 06:19 AM..

Old 11-15-2013, 05:36 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,393,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Or such adjustments are completely normal when a large retail store just opens...
Yeah thats a soft way of putting "we are losing money"

Old 11-15-2013, 05:37 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
Standard operating procedure with this kind of operation. New staff is usually less efficient than veteran staff, and business for the grand opening is higher than usual- getting a very full staff is essential to get people out of the store in reasonable time.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:48 AM

598 posts, read 747,763 times
Channel 11 looks into down employee numbers at new Shop

Quote:
The store’s owner told Channel 11 that the store opened Oct. 17 with 126 employees. As of now, the store has 80 employees, both full-and part-time.

The owner said 37 people are no longer employed for reasons such as not showing up for work. On Friday, nine people were laid off because of scheduling conflicts.
Looks like they just need to find people who would actually do the work.

Although, it would be interesting to compare initial layoff numbers with, say, the new SnS store opened in Cranberry a couple of years ago, otherwise I agree that there is nothing overly unusual in this situation...

Old 11-15-2013, 06:04 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
i had been there in 3 occassions. its a weird place - huge, but devoid of the buzz you might get at a place like Marketplace District in Shadyside. perhaps its much busier on saturdays, and/or things will pick up around the holidays or in the spring months.

they need to finish the pedestrian entrance in a hurry - the landscaping and ped walkway areas arent completed yet.

the people working there are nice, at least, but unbearably slow (sorry, i have perishables and i walk a number of blocks to get them in the fridge). it will last because of its convenience to a large neighborhood, but i think it'll become as lame as other shop n saves, like the one in westwood on noblestown road.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:17 AM

458 posts, read 656,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I've been in retail/retail sales for 22 years, and I don't necessarily agree with this.

First of all, I think the term "layoffs" is being used to be politically correct. It appears it's more like "let go" because of people not showing up for work and other violations. It also appears that business isn't what they expected. It is NOT normal for staff to be cut within the first year of a stores operation if they are at least meeting budget

Old 11-15-2013, 07:00 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
Channel 11 looks into down employee numbers at new Shop

Looks like they just need to find people who would actually do the work.

Although, it would be interesting to compare initial layoff numbers with, say, the new SnS store opened in Cranberry a couple of years ago, otherwise I agree that there is nothing overly unusual in this situation...
Good find. That Channel 11 report may be one of their more interesting, legit reports versus smoke and mirrors. I think given the neighborhood, the talent pool is going to be hit or miss. Naturally, after initial hire, all employees whom are brand new...there's going to be a period where some just don't make it because of their own doing. I'm sure it takes a bit of time to get some realistic sales expectations too.

What I also find funny is that if we look at the facts and throw around our takes on the issue, we get labeled cheerleaders. But when someone else only ever makes negative posts and always takes everything to "it's shutting down" mode, those folks aren't negative...they're just "real" or something. Nope, you're just constantly leaning negative, that's all.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:31 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
The sky is falling ... again!!!

thx man of 63 zzzZZZzzzzZZZZzzzzZZZZzzzz's for yet another insigthtful, compelling contribution to this forum.

I counter your doom-and-gloom with:

Allegheny County liquor sales highest in state | TribLIVE

Sounds like this retail area is very strong, and I am personally proud to have contributed to this success since moving here early this year I'm sure the grocery store you mention will thrive happily too ...

Old 11-15-2013, 09:36 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
The sky is falling ... again!!!

thx man of 63 zzzZZZzzzzZZZZzzzzZZZZzzzz's for yet another insigthtful, compelling contribution to this forum.

I counter your doom-and-gloom with:

Allegheny County liquor sales highest in state | TribLIVE

Sounds like this retail area is very strong, and I am personally proud to have contributed to this success since moving here early this year I'm sure the grocery store you mention will thrive happily too ...
I think it's a legitimate concern though, considering the tough time the neighborhood has had attracting and keeping a grocery store. :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh