Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 05:40 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
An Anglo pastime since 1066
there was a period when americans appreciated their help against the evil kingdom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 05:45 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
there was a period when americans appreciated their help against the evil kingdom.
True; we were pretty chummy until De Gualle

Old 11-15-2013, 05:45 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I think the whole website is a joke. The only cities worth mentioning west of the Mississippi were like Houston and LA. Not Las Vegas, Kansas City, Oakland, Phoenix or STL (2nd most dangerous city in the country.....).
St Louis was covered.

Saint-Louis : éviter le quartier nord entre l’aéroport et le centre-ville, mais la navette reliant l’aéroport est sûre.

St. Louis: avoid northern area between the airport and the city center, but the shuttle from the airport is safe.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:14 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryThrush View Post
Jesus Tapdancing Christ, it's ridiculous that people are getting so upset about this. The US State Department, you know, issues warnings and advisories against regions all around the world. It's reasonable that foreign visitors would be turned off by the threat of violence in some of these neighborhoods and cities. There's no reason to make disparaging remarks against the French, or put down neighborhoods in other countries. It's useful to look at ourselves as others around the world see us, and even more useful when we disagree.
People huff and puff about this stuff, but tourists and other travelers have met grim fates in the US. A good examples is the two British tourists who were killed in Sarasota a few years back. They basically walked in to an area that the locals know to stay out of. Similar attacks have happened in Miami. People shouldn't pretend that their part of the world is perfect just because they feel safe in safe in their home.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:38 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Although most city-data posters think the whole city is Pleasantville safe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
For whatever reason people on this forum go loony because they can't come to terms that Pittsburgh has those areas too.
I don't have a problem with the France warning. But I get awfully tired of a few stray people/opinions somehow adding up to "most".

Old 11-15-2013, 07:08 PM

423 posts, read 628,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
People huff and puff about this stuff, but tourists and other travelers have met grim fates in the US. A good examples is the two British tourists who were killed in Sarasota a few years back. They basically walked in to an area that the locals know to stay out of. Similar attacks have happened in Miami. People shouldn't pretend that their part of the world is perfect just because they feel safe in safe in their home.
Oh, I agree, and my point wasn't that people should pretend like this doesn't mean anything. Foreign governments or tourism agencies are certainly smart to issue warnings and advisories to its citizens. Just because a local feels safe driving through Hazelwood, for example, doesn't mean a foreign visitor new to town will feel the same way. I was complaining about the complaining, I guess, the knee-jerk reaction by some to praise everything Pittsburgh and to assume that foreign or dissenting opinions are automatically wrong.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:26 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
This is really all that needs to be said. Who would think Sarasota has a bad area? Sure enough it does and if there was something warning people of it, those tourists may be alive. The US has a lot of murder and crime. I don't understand why anyone would feel negatively about any country telling its citizens the areas that have crime. They are certainly ahead of us. We blindly go everywhere. At least France is looking after their citizens. Strange to read anything negative against them for that, but whatever.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:40 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I love how they just say that basically all of Baltimore is dangerous & should be avoided.

Also, the French are classifying Pittsburgh as Midwest. Oh the humanity
Oh here we go with that again. But I don't consider this that unreasonable. I'm guessing Pittsburgh must have interest to the French if they posted this about it.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:48 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
They are certainly ahead of us. We blindly go everywhere. At least France is looking after their citizens.
We have our own warnings about crime in France and Paris from the State Department.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:37 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,149 times
I'm curious what they say about dc. Mostly since folks know to avoid most se, but there are pckets of decent se areas.

I tend to tell folks who venture out into dc to walk in pairs and avoid alleys at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh