Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 10:01 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,259,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
Austin?
Seattle?
Minneapolis?
Denver?
Portland?

and those are just the most expensive 5 you could think of. there are literally hundreds of homes that price in those cities.
look im not trying to irritate you, and im sure your going to come back with how much greater south sq. hill is or something..but i looked at the school districts, though denver was rough with so many crappy school.

your linking the cheapest houses you can find and hinting comparable ones are 4x as much. no they aren't. there are dozens and dozens of cheaply priced homes in decent neighborhoods in all those cities. sorry.
much nicer ones are 4x as much maybe. ones in much nicer areas are 4x as much maybe. take your 150k home in south sq. hill and move it up a mile or 2 to squirrel hill, or even into shadyside..

i should start a game, give everyone 3 or 4 cities and 150k..see what you can get.
The whole SW side of Denver has many homes for <$200K. Here's an example:
Ruby Hill Real Estate & Ruby Hill Denver Homes For Sale - Zillow

Of course, you won't get the older houses as in Sq. Hill. These west side houses are more the "mid-century modern" types. I disagree that Denver has "so many crappy schools", but we also have statewide open enrollment, so you can try to get in to a different school if you don't like your neighborhood school. The closest equivalents to Sq. Hill are places like Washington Park, West Washington Park, University, University Park and so forth on the east side. Those houses will run you $350K and up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 10:12 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,449,722 times
i didn't mean to insult the denver schools i was simply looking at the school ratings map and it had nothing but red everywhere i looked. im sure its lovely, those rankings and me are not on the best terms anyway was just trying to stay ahead of the next argument.

and to the austin guy, i know the house i linked in austin isn't comparable to living in the desirable area of squirrel hill. but niether is living on the south fringe of south squirrel hill.
and really, we were talking about all these cities.. how it ended up the 1 hottest city, beat the house, beat the price, beat the school district and now beat the walk score.. never said pittsburgh was as expensive as every place you can think of i said most other similar cities you can find similiar prices, and i'm 100% right on that.
i will play with austin for fun but like i said, its really night and day from pittsburgh, we would be more comparable to san antonio, houston or even el paso more than austin.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:10 AM

416 posts, read 578,564 times
Quote:
and to the austin guy, i know the house i linked in austin isn't comparable to living in the desirable area of squirrel hill. but niether is living on the south fringe of south squirrel hill.
I didn't say it wasn't comparable to living in the desirable area of Squirrel Hill. I said it's not comparable to Squirrel Hill. Like, at all. Not even close. The south fringe of Squirrel Hill is superior to that entire section of South Austin, which just isn't a real city neighborhood.

Quote:
never said pittsburgh was as expensive as every place you can think of i said most other similar cities you can find similiar prices, and i'm 100% right on that.
I'm not disputing the claim that other cities have lots of cheap housing. What I'm saying is that much of the cheap housing in Pittsburgh is in attractive parts of the city core. This is not true of places like Austin.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:18 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,993,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
O...kay...

... So my dozen or more friends who've bought houses in Bloomfield for $50-100k are... in some sort of constant danger? Buried in litter?

Also, do you think that blighted areas don't exist in every city in the world? And why the weird focus on blighted neighborhoods within the city? Are they somehow doing more to drive down the median than Rankin and Braddock?
The only thing you can find in Bloomfield these days for that price is a dilapidated or badly remodeled, tiny row house.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Not only the city, but depressed suburbs, rural areas and small towns .

The southern portion and eastern side of the county has detroit like neighborhoods. Anybody ever traveled to clariton, mckeesport, duquesne, north versailes, turtle creek, east pgh, east mckeesport?

How about the wonderful towns in neighboring counties? Beaver falls, aliquippa, new ken city, jeanette, donora, monesson, charleroi, butler city?
If you really think East McKeesport or North Versailles look like the bad areas of Detroit, you've never been there. East McKeesport and North Versailles are just your typical older suburban neighborhoods, and well maintained and safe at that. Turtle Creek is absolutely nothing like Detroit. It's one of the safest older towns in the region.

I just moved to the city of McKeesport, and the neighborhood my house is in is more Regent Square than Brush Park.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:27 AM

I didn't realize that Squirrel Hill was the only neighborhood in the city.

Some of you need to discover Stanton Heights or Windgap.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:44 AM

6,598 posts, read 8,922,545 times
Hah, Never thought I'd see PP recommending Stanton Heights!

Old 11-18-2013, 09:59 AM

510 posts, read 901,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I didn't realize that Squirrel Hill was the only neighborhood in the city.

Some of you need to discover Stanton Heights or Windgap.
I think we were talking in part about walkable neighborhoods, and using Squirrel Hill as an example of that. Does Stanton Heights have a business district (serious question, I am not familiar with the area)? I admit I have never even heard of Windgap!

To me, heaven is realizing we are out of milk at 10pm, and being able to walk to get some more before the morning.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:19 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,488,583 times
I think South Squirrel Hill by Minedeo isn't walkable. Sure it has sidewalks but is pretty far form the intersection of Murray and Forbes. Due to the number of neighborhoods in Pittsburgh combined with the topography really limits the number of walkable areas in my opinion.

Again, I do think we are talking primarily about more expensive cities. Denver, Austin, Seattle and Portland are all pretty pricey. Not sure about Ann Arbor or Madison. By talking about Squirrel Hill we are really cherry picking one of the top 3 or 4 neighborhoods in the city. Are we only comparing the nicest neighborhoods in those cities with the nicest areas of Pittsburgh? If so then I can see your point. 170,000 is a bargain in a top neighborhood. However, I would argue that Squirrel Hill is so big that South Squirrel is really a separate and distinct neighborhood from North Squirrel and is not as nice and therefore it isn't accurate to compare it to "high end" neighborhoods in other cities.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:52 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,536,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
I think South Squirrel Hill by Minedeo isn't walkable. Sure it has sidewalks but is pretty far form the intersection of Murray and Forbes. Due to the number of neighborhoods in Pittsburgh combined with the topography really limits the number of walkable areas in my opinion.
It's twenty minutes on foot from one to the other. I guess that's more distance than people like to walk, but I do it all the time. You really do get used to the hills. And there are useful businesses within a much shorter walk of the Minadeo area (Giant Eagle, liquor store).

Also, not being an easy walk to Forbes and Murray isn't the same as saying that it isn't less car dependent than most places. In Squirrel Hill South, the 22.7% reported using transit to get to work and 9.3% biked or walked. The figures in Squirrel Hill North are flipped, with 27.6% in the bike/walk category and 11.1% using transit. You can say that those transit users and biker/walkers are coming from the part of Squirrel Hill South that is North of Forward. I'm sure it is more common that way, but almost every time I get off the 61c/d and trudge up the hill, there's other people with me. It's only 2 blocks from Minadeo to the busiest bus route in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh