Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 09:54 AM

510 posts, read 905,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
It's hard to explain Wegmans to people who never lived where they are located. Most people can't fathom how a supermarket could be so well loved by so many (to the point of strange obsessiveness) - and that makes sense when you are talking about the likes of Safeway, Giant Eagle, Giant, Kroger, etc. Wegmans is over the top in everything that they do.
We used to regularly shop at the one in Cherry Hill when we lived in Philly. It was nice but I didn't feel transformed or anything. I am probably just a relatively disengaged food shopper.
I also don't see why Canadians are so in love with Tim Hortons.
I don't actually have such a strong opinion, I was trying (unsuccessfully) to move the thread away from the "what first comes to mind when you see the initials GE?" debate.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:18 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
We used to regularly shop at the one in Cherry Hill when we lived in Philly.
I'm there every week!

A few of my undergrad friends (plus a lawl skool buddy) are from upstate NY. One, a Canandaigua resident, showed me Danny Wegman's house!

Old 11-23-2013, 11:05 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
It's hard to explain Wegmans to people who never lived where they are located. Most people can't fathom how a supermarket could be so well loved by so many (to the point of strange obsessiveness) - and that makes sense when you are talking about the likes of Safeway, Giant Eagle, Giant, Kroger, etc. Wegmans is over the top in everything that they do.

In my opinion, it all starts with the Wegman family and the leadership teams within the stores. Their customer service, IMO, is unparalleled at any other large supermarket chain where I've been a customer. That to me is the stand out reason why Wegmans blows any other chain out of the water. Employees are friendly, efficient, and seem to genuinely like and WANT to work there (something you rarely see in the current retail environment). From there, their bakery/prepared foods/produce/meats/seafood seems to simply be a much higher quality than their competitors. Their produce just seems very fresh, crisp...hard to explain....but I can go through almost every head of something as simple as romaine lettuce at Giant Eagle, and not find one head that isn't wilted or getting rust on it.

Another thing that always set Wegmans apart in my opinion was their own branded foods. In many cases, the food is of a higher quality than the name brand counterpart. An ice cream manufacturer in upstate NY actually produces a higher quality product under the Wegmans generic brand than they do their own name brand (they are a supplier for Wegmans, and I'm not sure what it is in ice cream that makes it better...higher fat cream or something?).

The middle section of the store, the dried goods, etc...it's all the same everywhere. Wegmans has the same narrow aisles filled with canned and box foods as every other supermarket. But the other stuff makes it stand out. Again, just my opinion as someone who grew up with "Weggies".....that being said, I would LOVE one in this area....they put the nicest Market District to shame!
My God, do you work for their PR department or what? This is like the Costco adoration we had earlier this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I'm there every week!

A few of my undergrad friends (plus a lawl skool buddy) are from upstate NY. One, a Canandaigua resident, showed me Danny Wegman's house!
Well, la de dah! (J/K) I've seen Warren Buffet's house, and Herman Cain's Omaha digs from when he used to live there.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:10 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,250 times
Before I moved, I shopped at Wegman's regularly. It was big, new, and shiny; everyone went gaga for it. I think what impressed people the most was the prepared food section. In reality, the prepared food, which is made on a mass scale, tastes somewhere between cafeteria and cruise ship cuisine. For the price you pay, if you require prepared food, you might as well just go to or get take-away from a restaurant. In addition, I have Wegman's prepared food to thank for the absolute worst case of food poisoning I have ever experienced.

As for the quality of the customer service, I was never particularly impressed. I often ordered subs at the sub shop counter and was always met with a blank stare. I regularly ordered the chicken parm sub, which was breaded chicken, marinara sauce, and mozzarella cheese. Without fail, the employee would never know that this was a menu item or what was supposed to come on it. "Do you want mayo on that?" Does any human being want mayo on a chicken parm sub?

Don't get me wrong, it was a nice store, and better than a lot of the alternatives, but I don't see it as the end all be all of grocery stores.

Last edited by Kippy; 11-23-2013 at 11:23 AM..

Old 11-23-2013, 11:11 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
^I'm sure those were much more impressive. This was a very nice (but not mind-bogglingly nice) mini-estate perched on a hill above a finger lake.

Still, my grocery store hero!

Old 11-23-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Busy professionals such as our household rarely even cook, to be quite frank, because we work too much and don't have time to fret over being close to a Giant Eagle to buy ingredients to cook
At the risk of sounding like an old biddy, I suggest that you buy a cookbook with quick, simple, inexpensive recipes. You will get a much higher return on his investment than any of the stock purchases you are considering.

In addition, if you want downtown to attract more middle class families, then you should root for a grocery store to open, as easy access to groceries and other staples is usually a requirement for them. Builders won't build for a target group which the neighborhood cannot support.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
My God, do you work for their PR department or what? This is like the Costco adoration we had earlier this week.

Well, la de dah! (J/K) I've seen Warren Buffet's house, and Herman Cain's Omaha digs from when he used to live there.
Doesn't Warren Buffet live in the same modest house that he bought for his family all those years ago before he amassed his bazillions?

Old 11-23-2013, 12:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
Doesn't Warren Buffet live in the same modest house that he bought for his family all those years ago before he amassed his bazillions?
Maybe modest by movie star standards, but it's a big house. It's in Omaha's premier city neighborhood. I know of a doctor who lived in the same 'hood; it's that kind of "modest". Cain had a fancier place.

Here's a picture.
Dundee-Happy Hollow Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-23-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Maybe modest by movie star standards, but it's a big house. It's in Omaha's premier city neighborhood. I know of a doctor who lived in the same 'hood; it's that kind of "modest". Cain had a fancier place.

Here's a picture.
Dundee-Happy Hollow Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It seems at least somewhat humble that one of the richest men in America lives in a neighborhood with doctors and lawyers. According that Wikipedia entry, he bought the five bedroom home in 1958 for $31,500. Its value today is closer to $700,000. Of course, he has other properties, and when he travels he is staying at the Four Seasons and not the Econolodge.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:29 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,325 times
Quote:

In my opinion, it all starts with the Wegman family and the leadership teams within the stores. Their customer service, IMO, is unparalleled at any other large supermarket chain where I've been a customer. That to me is the stand out reason why Wegmans blows any other chain out of the water. Employees are friendly, efficient, and seem to genuinely like and WANT to work there (something you rarely see in the current retail environment). From there, their bakery/prepared foods/produce/meats/seafood seems to simply be a much higher quality than their competitors. Their produce just seems very fresh, crisp...hard to explain....but I can go through almost every head of something as simple as romaine lettuce at Giant Eagle, and not find one head that isn't wilted or getting rust on it.

Another thing that always set Wegmans apart in my opinion was their own branded foods. In many cases, the food is of a higher quality than the name brand counterpart. An ice cream manufacturer in upstate NY actually produces a higher quality product under the Wegmans generic brand than they do their own name brand (they are a supplier for Wegmans, and I'm not sure what it is in ice cream that makes it better...higher fat cream or something?).

The middle section of the store, the dried goods, etc...it's all the same everywhere. Wegmans has the same narrow aisles filled with canned and box foods as every other supermarket. But the other stuff makes it stand out. Again, just my opinion as someone who grew up with "Weggies".....that being said, I would LOVE one in this area....they put the nicest Market District to shame!
hurs o

Wow! This so called Wegman's place sounds like something else. I'll think I will make it a point to drive several hours just to have the privilege of walking through their doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh