Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 08:25 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,241,097 times

Advertisements

Unless you're the kinda macho/no fear type, I would recommend lessons, or at least get someone who skis well to give you a few tips. A few basics, taught correctly, go a long way, and can make first experiences much more (just for you SCR) upright. As Curtis says, expect to fall, and laugh about it. It's part of providing entertainment to your fellow skiers. If you progress to be a reasonable skier, you get to laugh at others wiping out. It's a shared, communal experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 09:22 AM

288 posts, read 510,995 times
Can you rent the clothes as well? I'm assuming going skiing in your jeans and non water-proof coat is frowned upon, but most snow jackets and pants are expensive.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:39 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,581,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
Can you rent the clothes as well? I'm assuming going skiing in your jeans and non water-proof coat is frowned upon, but most snow jackets and pants are expensive.
If it is really cold, your jeans won't have to be waterproof because the snow will stay frozen. If it isn't really cold, your jeans can be a little wet without your legs freezing. Don't over-think this. Just wear a layer under the jeans, especially if it is really cold.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:18 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,521,740 times
You won't have fun if you get cold and wet.

Borrow some from a friend.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
You won't have fun if you get cold and wet.

Borrow some from a friend.
Very wise - especially as you'll be rolling in the snow.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:25 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,672,589 times
I did something like this at Seven Springs. You get a class, ski rental and a lift ticket that's good for the day.

Beginner Lessons | Level One Lesson - PA Pennsylvania Ski Resort | Four Season Resort | Seven Springs Mountain Resort - 7 Springs

I bought a pair of ski pants at Burlington a long time ago inexpensively. They can come in handy outside of skiing -- I wore mine shoveling snow during the 2010 snowmeggdon storm and stayed warm and dry.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:56 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,937,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
Kind of funny you ask. Back in the day people did indeed wear jeans skiing, with long-john's underneath. It was more the norm. It is nice to have ski pants these days as people got wise. They are about $70 and up at a ski shop. There might even be some cheaper than that, but I haven't needed any for a while. Oh and you still occasionally see old timers with jeans on. Usually at the end of the season when it is a bit warmer. I always wanted to ski in shorts in the spring, but haven't done it yet. Getting one lesson would certainly take the guess work out of it. Oh and even if you don't ski at all, hanging out at the Foggy Goggle is just fun. There are people there not skiing and just enjoying the fire and atmosphere.

I am bummed about the dumb rain, but I think it will be good up there on Friday. These days the groomers are just amazing. That can take a total sheet of ice and turn it into something pretty darn good.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:31 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,937,935 times
Pretty cool pictures. Looks like quite a bit of snowmaking going on. Hope they get a huge base and skiing runs from now till April! Sometimes it does!

http://www.7springs.com/page/categor...tain-Cams.html

Old 11-28-2013, 11:37 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,912,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Pretty cool pictures. Looks like quite a bit of snowmaking going on. Hope they get a huge base and skiing runs from now till April! Sometimes it does!

Web Cams | Mountain Cams - PA Pennsylvania Ski Resort | Four Season Resort | Seven Springs Mountain Resort - 7 Springs
Wow it looks like everything could be open early in December if it keeps cool enough! Great news.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
Wow it looks like everything could be open early in December if it keeps cool enough! Great news.
That would make me very happy. When they open the 6-pack, I'll be there. If it's next weekend, I can't wait
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh