Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 12:59 PM

288 posts, read 509,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Another Genesis fan!! Did you go to see Steve Hackett at the Carnegie Library Music Hall in October. He was good indeed.

That is a great venue BTW. Saw Yes there too in September, and they were magnificent. And really loud. Looking forward to some more shows there, especially now I have my own beer 'goblet'.
I did not. I am more of a phil Collins fan than Genesis. I just knew it was the last opportunity to see either. He's completely done touring for good because he has degenerative hearing loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 02:33 PM

706 posts, read 1,042,995 times
The Cure, 1987, Syria Mosque. The band was in their prime. I camped out on the sidewalk outside Oasis Records and Tapes in the Waterworks Mall the night before tickets went on sale to get a good seat. Tickets went on sale at 9AM. The employees at this particular location were lax in getting ready. I was first in line but did not get my ticket until around 9:25 AM. They did have actual tickets, but printed out vouchers that reserved your seats via computer availability. I ended up in the second to last row after sleeping on the hard sidewalk all night. I was pissed. I was not going to let that deter me from enjoying the show. The venue was good and at least I had a highly coveted ticket. Robert Smith and the boys were great. I had never seen The Cure Live before. Even on their most upbeat and bouncy songs, the entire band would stand still and upright and look down at their feet while they played. The Cure was one of the original "shoegazer" bands that came out of England during the New Wave Era.

Old 12-12-2013, 04:31 PM

510 posts, read 900,538 times
I am so sad I missed the Syria Mosque. I have seen interior and exterior photos and it looked like an amazing place. I cannot believe it is a parking lot now.
It also must have been fantastic to see a show in the Civic Arena with the roof open.
Keep the stories coming!

Old 12-12-2013, 04:58 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,443,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
I am so sad I missed the Syria Mosque. I have seen interior and exterior photos and it looked like an amazing place. I cannot believe it is a parking lot now.
It also must have been fantastic to see a show in the Civic Arena with the roof open.
Keep the stories coming!
Everyone in my family was a Shriner, so I started going to the Mosque back when I was in the 4th grade for Christmas parties. Saw some great concerts there, Carole King, Linda Ronstadt, and Eric Clapton. The place was in such disrepair that it was easier to sell it than refurbish. They just couldn't make money any more.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:06 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,683,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
The Cure, 1987, Syria Mosque. The band was in their prime. I camped out on the sidewalk outside Oasis Records and Tapes in the Waterworks Mall the night before tickets went on sale to get a good seat. Tickets went on sale at 9AM. The employees at this particular location were lax in getting ready. I was first in line but did not get my ticket until around 9:25 AM. They did have actual tickets, but printed out vouchers that reserved your seats via computer availability. I ended up in the second to last row after sleeping on the hard sidewalk all night. I was pissed. I was not going to let that deter me from enjoying the show. The venue was good and at least I had a highly coveted ticket. Robert Smith and the boys were great. I had never seen The Cure Live before. Even on their most upbeat and bouncy songs, the entire band would stand still and upright and look down at their feet while they played. The Cure was one of the original "shoegazer" bands that came out of England during the New Wave Era.
After camping out at Oasis Records to see them play at the Syria Mosque, did the band play Killing an Arab?

Old 12-12-2013, 05:39 PM

876 posts, read 1,138,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
After camping out at Oasis Records to see them play at the Syria Mosque, did the band play Killing an Arab?
Ho-Ho! Well played, sir!

Where was the Syria Mosque located? My dad's best concert story was seeing Captain Beefheart, opening for Jethro Tull, storm off the stage in a fit.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:49 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,826,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Saw some great concerts there...Linda Ronstadt.
What year? Which album was she touring? She's my favorite singer. I was so sad to hear about her having Parkinson's.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:52 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,443,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
What year? Which album was she touring? She's my favorite singer. I was so sad to hear about her having Parkinson's.
Uh, sad to say, in the late 70's. Man, was she hot, remember the album cover with her in hot pants and roller skates. And what a voice, she was the greatest!!!

Old 12-12-2013, 05:55 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,826,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Uh, sad to say, in the late 70's. Man, was she hot, remember the album cover with her in hot pants and roller skates. And what a voice, she was the greatest!!!
That was "Living in the USA." I saw her previous two tours, for "Simple Dreams" and "Hasten down the Wind." Best heartbreak music in the world.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:34 PM

706 posts, read 1,042,995 times
[quote=JimboPGH;32590709]Ho-Ho! Well played, sir!

Where was the Syria Mosque located?

It was in Oakland, on Bigelow Blvd., behind the PAA, which is on Fifth. It is now a parking lot for UPMC. I think Joni Mitchell may have played there once and sang "Big Yellow Taxi" aka "Paved paradise put up a parking lot." Right on Joni.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh