Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:54 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times

Advertisements

I thought this would be an interesting topic for conversation - what commercial districts which are currently mainly vacant/blighted could you see a lot of potential for in future years.

For me, I'd have to say the number one is Brownsville, particularly between Arlington and Bausman. It has tons of old buildings, and basically no gaps due to parking lots at all (unlike say East Warrington, which is really patchy). Judging by building quality alone it looks better than anything south of the Mon in Pittsburgh except for East Carson Street. It's a shame, due to the steep decline in the area, that it probably will not be so intact within another 10-20 years.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 08:32 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,964,681 times
Isn't the Brownsville Road area the spot where Colteryan's Dairy is expanding or something and trying to be a catalyst for the area? I remember reading something in the P-G about it and the councilperson from that area is involved.

Another very small area that has potential is in Brighton Heights along California Avenue. Teeny tiny district with maybe a block-long stip of potential. There's also another small commercial district on the North Side, but I don't even know what street it is - maybe near a high school and where the Perry Theater used to be (sounding like a true Pittsburgher). I think it's a five-way intersection.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:38 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,170 times
Uptown 5th Ave all the way, Consol is finally starting to have an effect on the business district. I see the newest places like Blue Line Grille minting money on Pens game days leading to spill-over development down the street.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:55 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Isn't the Brownsville Road area the spot where Colteryan's Dairy is expanding or something and trying to be a catalyst for the area? I remember reading something in the P-G about it and the councilperson from that area is involved.
That's in the Carrick section of Brownsville (it's a very long street, with a lot of business activity). Some portions of the Carrick part are quite well preserved (particularly the section near the border with Brentwood), but much of it is more residential/broken up down there overall. Every few blocks there's a section build up about to the point of say Greenfield's business districts. Nothing special, but of course it has potential as well.

Quote:
Another very small area that has potential is in Brighton Heights along California Avenue. Teeny tiny district with maybe a block-long stip of potential. There's also another small commercial district on the North Side, but I don't even know what street it is - maybe near a high school and where the Perry Theater used to be (sounding like a true Pittsburgher). I think it's a five-way intersection.
There's some cool old storefronts up there, but the weird intersection kind of limits the walkability of the area. Plus that just isn't that dense of a portion of the city - successful storefront districts need a lot of residents nearby unless they are in a job center like Downtown or Oakland.

I've often thought Chestnut Street in East Deutschtown has potential as well. Only about half the surviving buildings are storefonts, but something about the mix of the narrow street, brick street and streetcar tracks give the street (blighted as it is) real character.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:12 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,461 times
Quote:
There's also another small commercial district on the North Side, but I don't even know what street it is - maybe near a high school and where the Perry Theater used to be (sounding like a true Pittsburgher). I think it's a five-way intersection.
You're talking about Perrysville / Baytree / Mairsdale / East St. in Observatory Hill. That is a very cute intersection with a surprising amount of business already, but -- I think -- a lot of potential.

And it wouldn't be a thread that I'm posting in, if I didn't mention Lowrie Street in Troy Hill. It may not look like much now, but between the 1500 block and the 2000 block, there are at least 4-5 storefronts per block -- and significantly more near the monument. Most of them could be very nicely restored to their original early 20th Century architectural character.

Look at some of these places:
- https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1700+...158.53,,1,2.65
- https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1700+...324.61,,0,-2.9 (this one is actively being restored right now)
- https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1700+...12,339.45,,1,0
- https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1700+...290.73,,0,-1.5 (I semi-obsessively love this one)
- https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2000+...28.77,,0,-2.85

...and so on.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:21 AM

252 posts, read 348,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I've often thought Chestnut Street in East Deutschtown has potential as well. Only about half the surviving buildings are storefonts, but something about the mix of the narrow street, brick street and streetcar tracks give the street (blighted as it is) real character.
Agreed.

Can anyone speak to Chartiers Ave in Elliot? It seems like there isn't a lot of disposable income around this area, but if things were to improve (definitely a safe and very affordable neighborhood close to downtown), then I could see some businesses opening again in these buildings.

Hazelwood Ave's future depends on what happens to Hazelwood, but depending on how the LTV works out (as has been discussed in other posts), it could either be invigorated or continue to hang out in stasis like E 8th ave in Homstead/Munhall.

The swissvale commercial district seems pretty underutilized too.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:29 AM

Yeah, I don't understand why Chestnut Street has degraded to quite the level it has. There are so many cool-looking storefronts on there that I could see at least being operated as seedy clubs, rather than just... decomposing nothingness.

Like, why can Madison Ave. and East St. on either side of 279 retain... at least 6-8 bars/clubs that I can think of, and not a single one on Chestnut? Even Spring Garden Ave. has two or three still open.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:32 AM

288 posts, read 511,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
You're talking about Perrysville / Baytree / Mairsdale / East St. in Observatory Hill. That is a very cute intersection with a surprising amount of business already, but -- I think -- a lot of potential.

And it wouldn't be a thread that I'm posting in, if I didn't mention Lowrie Street in Troy Hill. It may not look like much now, but between the 1500 block and the 2000 block, there are at least 4-5 storefronts per block -- and significantly more near the monument. Most of them could be very nicely restored to their original early 20th Century architectural character.

Look at some of these places:
- https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1700+...158.53,,1,2.65
- https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1700+...324.61,,0,-2.9 (this one is actively being restored right now)
- https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1700+...12,339.45,,1,0
- https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1700+...290.73,,0,-1.5 (I semi-obsessively love this one)
- https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2000+...28.77,,0,-2.85

...and so on.
Is 1512 Lowrie currently being used?

Old 12-12-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
Is 1512 Lowrie currently being used?
I've seen the garage door open a few times and it looks like someone uses it for storage or something currently... And someone recently put some Christmas decorations around the horse's head on the front... But no, it is definitely not operating as a business.

I know that Wigle Whiskey was talking about opening a new distillery / biergarten-y thing on Spring Garden... I could so easily see this space being restored into a combined restaurant / bar / brewery or something of that sort.

Similarly, I often imagine this spot being converted to a little restaurant / coffee shop with outdoor seating in the yard next to it (like Lili in Polish Hill).

It'll take some time, but it would be a huge shame to let these classic storefronts all revert to residential use.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:47 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Ah Colteryahn Dairy, the famous city dairy that doesn't have a single cow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh