Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 01:34 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times

Advertisements

Any part of Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, or Point Breeze within the Colfax or Minadeo --> Allderdice catchment (preferably a part that's easily accessible to a Main Street area). I'm not ideologically opposed to private school, but I believe such money is better saved for college, whenever possible. Obviously, Shadyside Academy, Winchester-Thurston, or wherever would be excellent backups if the public schools didn't work out.

I really like Mt. Lebanon and Fox Chapel as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 01:39 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
I live in Squirrel Hill (North) and think its a very good choice, its got enough of the appeal of the city and suburbs to be a best of both worlds situation. I wouldn't have picked anywhere else if I had more money to spend although I would have bought a different house that was already fully renovated & needed less work than ours. Getting our house the way we want it remains a work in progress and has been far more difficult and expensive than all those HGTV shows would make you think. As for schools, I think we are planning to start with public school and see how it goes, but we've still got a little time to decide. If money truly was no object, we'd probably just do top tier private schools for our 3 kids but we are more of the category of we could pay for it if we really had to but would rather not.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:45 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,325 times
I would live in one of the upscale condos Downtown, possibly Three PNC Plaza/Fairmont. Downtown is great and getting better. There is a major park, riverfront trails, beauty, shopping, dining, and vibrancy.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:48 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
There are a considerable number of people for whom money is an object but who do just that.
This is true, but if money were no object I would not want to live in a mansion, estate or gated community. I would live just like normal upper middle class people. My only requirements would be to live in a walkable safe community close to parks, cultural attractions and with relatively good schools. Any discretionary money I have would be spent on vacations rather than exorbitant housing.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:53 PM

288 posts, read 511,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
While I'd love to say anywhere, the whole Oakland thing means proximity to the East End would be important. Plus I would still want my kids to go to public school (I'm opposed to private school for ideological reasons). So I'd go with Shadyside so I could ensure my kids would go to Colfax, and then apply to one of the magnet schools for middle and/or high school.

If school were no longer an issue? This house.
Why did they take such terrible pictures for such an expensive listing? I would be happy with just the carriage house though.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:58 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
I know that very rich people in Pittsburgh live either in Fox Chapel, Upper St clair, Mt lebanon or Nevilewood - please correct me if I forgot any other affluent, good school district. Consequnetly they send their kids to the public schools of the afore mentioned suburbs.

Now there might be people who live in the city (shadyside, sq hill) who send their kids to Winchester Thurston, or other private schools in the city where the tuition is comparable with college tuition.

Both city and afore mentioned suburbs are convenient for commuting downtown.

My advice for you is to set meetings with the schools in all these suburbs and the city's private schools, decide upon a school and then find a house. At least this is what I'd do.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:58 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
Why did they take such terrible pictures for such an expensive listing? I would be happy with just the carriage house though.
To get a potential buyer to go look at it.

I have a soft spot in my heart for carriage houses, have lived in them twice. They were, uh, a lot smaller than this one.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:02 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
$ No object - I'd buy 3 acres worth of land in squirrel hill & demolish everything but my primary residence to have a nicely landscaped yard with perhaps a Versailles-esque garden. Definitely private school over pps.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:05 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Point Breeze for the city and private schools and Fox Chapel Borough (not outside "The Borough" itself) for the burbs and public schools. IMHO, Point Breeze on the good side of Penn is one of the best areas in Pittsburgh. I just love that area and would consider living there myself and might someday.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:21 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,572,287 times
As someone living on the border of the two hoods, there's not a whole lot of difference between Point Breeze (South) and Squirrel Hill (North) (which isn't a bad thing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh