Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 03:25 PM

510 posts, read 900,538 times

Advertisements

North Squirrel Hill and my kids would go to Colfax then Allderdice. I cannot understand why people would want to live in North Squirrel Hill and send their kids to private school!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 03:28 PM

12,528 posts, read 17,443,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
As someone living on the border of the two hoods, there's not a whole lot of difference between Point Breeze (South) and Squirrel Hill (North) (which isn't a bad thing).

Two hoods? The IRA and the Mossad, watch what you wear, color wise.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:31 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
North Squirrel Hill and my kids would go to Colfax then Allderdice. I cannot understand why people would want to live in North Squirrel Hill and send their kids to private school!
Um, because "money is no object". Sorry, but there is NO WAY I would send my kid to a city school. Maybe someday, but why be a pioneer if money isn't an issue. If I had unlimited funds, I would be where I am. Fox Chapel just has so much more than city schools. Heck they have great sports options and have great coaches and equipment. Not saying they are going to beat North Allegheny or a moronic private school in our region that recruits for football and other sports, but winning isn't the point. Learning IS.

Anyway, for most kids public school is the better option. One needs some exposure to all kinds to help in later life unless you think you can pull of total sheltering forever. I would hate that myself. FC is the best option if you need to get to Oakland and the city. There really isn't any other option if you can afford it.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:35 PM

9,314 posts, read 12,907,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
I know that very rich people in Pittsburgh live either in Fox Chapel, Upper St clair, Mt lebanon or Nevilewood - please correct me if I forgot any other affluent, good school district. Consequnetly they send their kids to the public schools of the afore mentioned suburbs.

Now there might be people who live in the city (shadyside, sq hill) who send their kids to Winchester Thurston, or other private schools in the city where the tuition is comparable with college tuition.

Both city and afore mentioned suburbs are convenient for commuting downtown.

My advice for you is to set meetings with the schools in all these suburbs and the city's private schools, decide upon a school and then find a house. At least this is what I'd do.
There are plenty of wealthy families in the North Oakland-Shadyside-Squirrel Hill-Point Breeze corridor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Two hoods? The IRA and the Mossad, watch what you wear, color wise.
Hahahaha. Still worth pointing out that Point Breeze has a fairly large Jewish population (though it's certainly not a distinctly Jewish neighborhood like Squirrel Hill).

Old 12-12-2013, 03:37 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times
Quote:
As someone living on the border of the two hoods, there's not a whole lot of difference between Point Breeze (South) and Squirrel Hill (North) (which isn't a bad thing).
I just love how flat Point Breeze is and that cool little downtown. It is a gem and some of those streets have some amazing homes. Believe me, there are a few little private drives have homes that are amazing.

I am just not a big fan of most of Squirrel Hill. It just seems more aggressive in style. Goodness, I have seen someone trying to parallel park and some women pulled in from behind. Just wow! I also like a little area called North of Forbes, but with kids I really like Point Breeze (South).

Old 12-12-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Um, because "money is no object". Sorry, but there is NO WAY I would send my kid to a city school. Maybe someday, but why be a pioneer if money isn't an issue. If I had unlimited funds, I would be where I am. Fox Chapel just has so much more than city schools. Heck they have great sports options and have great coaches and equipment. Not saying they are going to beat North Allegheny or a moronic private school in our region that recruits for football and other sports, but winning isn't the point. Learning IS.

Anyway, for most kids public school is the better option. One needs some exposure to all kinds to help in later life unless you think you can pull of total sheltering forever. I would hate that myself. FC is the best option if you need to get to Oakland and the city. There really isn't any other option if you can afford it.
My friends and I are all highly educated and value learning. Our kids all go to public schools are are doing just fine. I hardly feel I am being a 'pioneer' by sending my kids to public schools in Squirrel Hill! They also have the opportunity to meet a diverse group of kids and their families and they know not everyone is middle-class, which is important to us.
I am glad you love Fox Chapel but I honestly wouldn't live in a community like that if I was a millionaire. It is probably a good thing we all want different things out of life.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:39 PM

9,314 posts, read 12,907,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I am just not a big fan of most of Squirrel Hill. It just seems more aggressive in style. Goodness, I have seen someone trying to parallel park and some women pulled in from behind. Just wow! I also like a little area called North of Forbes, but with kids I really like Point Breeze (South).
Rehashing the same lame, thinly-veiled anti-Semitic anecdote you posted before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
My friends and I are all highly educated and value learning. Our kids all go to public schools are are doing just fine. I hardly feel I am being a 'pioneer' by sending my kids to public schools in Squirrel Hill! They also have the opportunity to meet a diverse group of kids and their families and they know not everyone is White and middle-class, which is important to us.
I am glad you love Fox Chapel but I honestly wouldn't live in a community like that if I was a millionaire. It is probably a good thing we all want different things out of life.
Curt's also not the biggest fan of Jews. Too bad they've been steadily migrating into his neighborhood.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:41 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,559,307 times
I assume this thread is going to degenerate into a city vs. suburbs public school debate that has been held over and over again, but hopefully that can be avoided.

EveKendall, you seriously can't understand why people would live in SH and send their kids to an elite private school rather than a pretty good public school? Seriously??? I mean maybe you don't think its the right decision for you, but its not exactly a head scratcher why someone would choose that.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I assume this thread is going to degenerate into a city vs. suburbs public school debate that has been held over and over again, but hopefully that can be avoided.

EveKendall, you seriously can't understand why people would live in SH and send their kids to an elite private school rather than a pretty good public school? Seriously??? I mean maybe you don't think its the right decision for you, but its not exactly a head scratcher why someone would choose that.
I am completely serious. It is strange to me. I am not a fan of the private schools in the area (although I confess I only know Ellis and Winchester Thurston). I think going to an 'elite' school is meaningless and I certainly don't think it guarantees better academic outcomes, unless you are comparing it with going to a very disadvantaged public school.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:49 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,006,739 times
i would live in the Bigelow Heights sub-section of Greenfield. the views are amazing, its very convenient to Oakland and Downtown. you do not have to be entirely car dependent which helps your personal fitness level. it seems like a friendly place, almost suspiciously so!

plus, its proximity to oakland and downtown gives you these options for travel to work: walking, bicycling, personal vehicle, bus. this will give you peace of mind knowing you arent polluting as much as you would if you lived where you couldnt go anywhere (reasonably) without a car.

it is quieter than most of squirrel hill.

its very clean, and tidy, with pretty much well-kept properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh