Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 11:49 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Parents don't need to be members of a club for their children to hang out with their friends of parents who do. Their friends invite them to the clubs. I promise.
Understood but they are not allowed to be there every day. Certainly, they wouldn't be allowed to play golf frequently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 12:02 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Parents don't need to be members of a club for their children to hang out with their friends of parents who do. Their friends invite them to the clubs. I promise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Understood but they are not allowed to be there every day. Certainly, they wouldn't be allowed to play golf frequently.
As someone who grew up in an area where a lot of people belonged to country clubs, I can tell you that Hopes is absolutely right. Rob, you are correct as far as golf goes. However, a lot of clubs make it surprisingly cheap for junior guests to play (it was $25 at my old club). That adds up over time, but it's a lot cheaper than the $100+ most of those clubs charge for adult guests. As far as golf limits go, those depend on the club. Some are more tolerant of frequent guests than others.

Either way, I would imagine that the children at the fancy, in-city private schools belong to a wide variety of clubs. (A) Pittsburgh is a big enough city that there is more than one "right" club, and (B) only a few of them continue to pervasively discriminate (Oakmont immediately comes to mind).

Old 12-13-2013, 12:11 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
What did Groucho say?

Old 12-13-2013, 12:17 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
What did Groucho say?
Upon being told that he could join an otherwise judenrein country club, provided he did not use the pool:
"My daughter's only half-Jewish. Can she wade in up to her knees?"

(I know you were thinking of a different quote, but I like this one even better)

Old 12-13-2013, 12:24 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Upon being told that he could join an otherwise judenrein country club, provided he did not use the pool:

(I know you were thinking of a different quote, but I like this one even better)
I hadn't heard that one. Magnificent!!!

Old 12-13-2013, 12:28 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,555 times
im fine with most public schools but if i had limitless money they would go to private.

the area i'd move to immediately jumped into my head and was mentioned already, shadyside near the n. oakland border right around winchester-thurston. maybe one of the roads with really nice houses that get no traffic except for people who live there, like Wallingford or something. easy walk to oakland, bloomfield or shadyside.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:33 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:

Hey, some of my best friends are Jewish! Old line from the 60's.

Years ago I joined the Jewish Y in Oakland and I asked 'Can anyone join here?"

Old 12-13-2013, 03:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
As someone who grew up in an area where a lot of people belonged to country clubs, I can tell you that Hopes is absolutely right. Rob, you are correct as far as golf goes. However, a lot of clubs make it surprisingly cheap for junior guests to play (it was $25 at my old club). That adds up over time, but it's a lot cheaper than the $100+ most of those clubs charge for adult guests. As far as golf limits go, those depend on the club. Some are more tolerant of frequent guests than others.

Either way, I would imagine that the children at the fancy, in-city private schools belong to a wide variety of clubs. (A) Pittsburgh is a big enough city that there is more than one "right" club, and (B) only a few of them continue to pervasively discriminate (Oakmont immediately comes to mind).
You're correct that there isn't one "right" club. Even kids who belong to a country club end up being guests at country clubs. Let's not forget that children who belong to the country club don't want go frequently. That's why their parents encourage them to invite friends. The parents pay for everything since the child is their guest. This thread is about expensive is no option so we're talking about running with the big dogs---they'll take an entire family on a fully paid vacation. And not all wealthy people belong to country clubs. They're just not into it.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:06 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,198 times
If money wasn't an issue I'd buy a mansion on beechwood near the bottom of the hill and hire an army to maintain it and to clean it.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:56 PM

387 posts, read 471,106 times
I that were my situation, I too would choose Squirrel Hill.

Also kids would be in private school for sure for elementary & middle, & do a PGH Public School Magnet Program for whatever subject they focused on. If they did not get accepted into one of the magnet schools for high school, I'd do private, or supplement their PGH public regular high school with some extra stuff from CCAC so they don't get too bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh