Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of flooring do younger Pittsburgh homebuyers prefer?
Hardwood 52 88.14%
Wall to Wall Carpeting 7 11.86%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 12:41 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
LOL!

You know, my spouse is a computer scientist, and he can fix anything, even these fancy late-model cars! We have hardwood in the kitchen, our "dressing" area, our "library" (used to be our daughter's bedroom before she got married), and a long hallway. The rest is berber carpet. But we're old.
Katiana, I can do LOTS of apps on the computer, you name it, I've done it, mobile apps, websites, lots and lots and lots and I started back then when we used to punch cards in college. However I can't put a nail on the wall and recently I had to ask friends on FB which way to unscrew a screw. It wouldn't go neither way stupid old screw!

So renting a machine to sand my floors is a no-no. And I'm also car illiterate and can't do lateral parking on tight spots. But I can cook, bake and saw (sew?) (did I spell that right?)

So hardwood floors it is and I'm looking for a younger realtor. Anyone has any recommendation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 01:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^Glad you made your decision. I like to sew too. I'm trying to make some neck soothers for Christmas. Everyone in my office was making these things-you sew a tube about 16" wide by about 6" long. You sew three vertical lines 4" apart, then fill the channels with rice mixed w/essential oil. Then sew the top together. You can either heat them or freeze them and then drape them around your neck. Now I just need to get off CD and DO IT!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 12-18-2013 at 01:22 PM..

Old 12-18-2013, 01:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
And it was so dirty and disgusting that I swore to myself to never ever ever have wall to wall carpet again.
I think the DIY trend is helping outdate carpeting permanently. As people tear out their old carpeting themselves (instead of hiring someone to do it), they see how unsanitary it is. This is the exact reason I'll never have wall to wall again.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Anyone ever tear out their carpet and leave bare subfloor for a while? I have contemplated doing that from time to time, just to get the crap out while I find the time and motivation to put something else on the floor (or hire someone to install floor or whatever).

Old 12-18-2013, 03:27 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,673,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^Glad you made your decision. I like to sew too. I'm trying to make some neck soothers for Christmas. Everyone in my office was making these things-you sew a tube about 16" wide by about 6" long. You sew three vertical lines 4" apart, then fill the channels with rice mixed w/essential oil. Then sew the top together. You can either heat them or freeze them and then drape them around your neck. Now I just need to get off CD and DO IT!
My mother made those for gifts years ago. She didn't use any oil, just the rice, but it is the best heating pad. Really good for my headaches.

And just to be back on-topic -- also glad the decision is made and that it's hardwood.

Old 12-18-2013, 04:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Anyone ever tear out their carpet and leave bare subfloor for a while? I have contemplated doing that from time to time, just to get the crap out while I find the time and motivation to put something else on the floor (or hire someone to install floor or whatever).
We have! I tore it out to motivate my husband. He slow;y installed new flooring in all of the rooms. Only the kitchen remains. That should be done in a month because I finally bought kitchen cabinets this week. My indecisiveness on cabinet style and color hindered flooring progress. We couldn't install flooring without knowing where the cabinets would be located, and I couldn't even pick the type of flooring without knowing what they would look like.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:51 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
OK, you convinced me. Thank you. Actually last night I took the carpet to the curb and cut myself. And it was so dirty and disgusting that I swore to myself to never ever ever have wall to wall carpet again.
Yep, glad my self-depricating snark could be of some function.

In all honesty, everyone in my peer group prefers hardwood. This is totally subjective, but I think one of the reasons the inner South Hills is becoming a popular area for younger home buyers is that the houses are both well-built and aesthetically pleasing, and most of the places I've seen in that area have hardwood in at least the living and dinning rooms.

(The fact that housing prices in Brookline and Dormont are way more affordable than all non-ghetto areas of the East End have a bit to do with it as well).

Old 12-19-2013, 07:26 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,643 times
I like a little of both. What I don't like is tiles and linoleum anywhere except kitchens and bathrooms.
What is really nice is hardwood floors with a nice area big area rug especially in older pre war( 30's and older) and post war (40s 50s and 60s )homes. I also like good quality wall to wall carpeting wall to wall carpeting in the newer 70s-90s homes and hardwood floors in even newer 2000s-10s homes.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:19 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
Yep, glad my self-depricating snark could be of some function.

In all honesty, everyone in my peer group prefers hardwood. This is totally subjective, but I think one of the reasons the inner South Hills is becoming a popular area for younger home buyers is that the houses are both well-built and aesthetically pleasing, and most of the places I've seen in that area have hardwood in at least the living and dinning rooms.

(The fact that housing prices in Brookline and Dormont are way more affordable than all non-ghetto areas of the East End have a bit to do with it as well).

Actually you are right. My friend's son bought his first house in Brookline for 100k and guess what? It has hardwood floor. He's 27.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:24 AM

598 posts, read 747,763 times
For fun I was lurking the Fifth Ave School lofts site the other day, which lists supposedly high end rental apartments (well, granted, in a low end neighborhood). Among other features such as "High-end kitchens w/large islands, granite counter tops, distinctive cabinetry and stainless steel appliances" and "Contemporary floating steel stairs w/wood treads to mezzanine loft bedrooms", this feature jumped out:

Quote:
Distinctive flooring in living area, carpet in upper bedrooms

Last edited by SuburbanPioneer; 12-19-2013 at 08:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh