Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 10:40 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Maybe plop it down in place of that ugly-ass warehouse at the bottom of the duquesne inclince.
Didn't that get demolished?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 10:46 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Didn't that get demolished?
Oh yeah. Haaha.

Anyhow, the new Washington Monument should go at that spot at the base of Mt Washington and right underneath the Washington statue.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:03 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,524 times
when i think of this i think "hey guys, since we cant afford going to see the real monument...lets go to the north shore!"

maybe copanut will chime in with "what? what about soulless cranberry or up here in the north?"

Old 12-17-2013, 11:05 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
when i think of this i think "hey guys, since we cant afford going to see the real monument...lets go to the north shore!"

maybe copanut will chime in with "what? what about soulless cranberry or up here in the north?"
Nah, lit up I think it would look pretty sweet.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:06 AM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,524 times
as my friends down in va once joked: "whens bill clintons monument getting the protection off?" guess it might be headed to pittsburgh lol

Old 12-17-2013, 11:38 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Are there a lot of historical markers to read along the way, too? It seems like whenever I run on the North Shore Trail I always stop to read the signs, even though I've already read them a zillion times before. I really love history, and it would be great to have a different marker to read every few miles as a "landmark" to catch my breath, hydrate, etc. while learning!
There are quite a few, moreso on the C&O Canal Towpath than the GAP. But there are also desolate stretches where you see nothing but mile markers for a looooong time.

I ordered the offical guidebook and it was helpful for the trip. ATA Trail Store
Also, search the internet and you can find several blogs of people who did the trip which give some useful insight on what you might encounter. But I don't know of anyone that RAN the whole way. lol

Old 12-17-2013, 11:41 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It just want to point out that it's not going to look as cool lit up without the beige stone background of the monument.
Probably. There may be ways to make it work though, with clever lighting and perhaps some kind of fabric-like material (obviously would have to be tough and weatherproof). During the day it would still look interesting from the natural light even if it were completely open with nothing inside. Although it seems much of the look is actually also from fabric. The scaffolding metal itself appears to be ordinary after all. (See below.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
It might be cool. It might not, and it might not even be possible. Why rip the guy for asking?
Yep, have to agree. Although what's interesting is this is a reuse of the scaffolding from the earlier restoration. Or at least, a reuse of the design. If it's a reuse of the materials, the NPS may well be keeping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
As to the monument idea, I wonder how much it was thought through as I'd imagine there's a lot more involved then just re-erecting here, mainly in that you're missing the main structure, that I'm sure was used for support, inside of the scaffolding.
Partly. It does not quite appear to be entirely freestanding from what I have read, although it is designed not to attach to the monument, so maybe it really is supposed to be. Here's an article that mentions it: Washington Monument wears its scaffolding well - Los Angeles Times It's a little bit contradictory. I guess the deal is it doesn't make any sort of significant attachment, but they do brace against the monument at some points with boards. So, the scaffolding could perhaps stand on its own if braced against itself, but would it be possible to erect it in that fashion? Hm.

It was designed by Michael Graves: MICHAEL GRAVES & ASSOCIATES : Portfolio : View Project

Look at the closeup though. The blocky design is made by a wrap of architectural fabric. The actual structure is fairly ordinary-looking scaffolding surprisingly enough (surprising to me because that thing is pretty tall, 555 feet).

So it's probably doable but might need something to brace against. It's also probably easily re-creatable on a smaller scale although it wouldn't have the cachet of being the real scaffolding.

I suspect this won't end up happening, but it's an interesting ploy nonetheless.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:13 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Looks better than the original. They should have left it up.
Lots of people feel that way. It sure did look cool. I'm gonna miss it, that's for sure. It would be great to see another city using it as a piece of art, although I wonder how well it would hold up over the years if it was turned into a permanent structure. It was just supposed to be a temporary scaffold, after all.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:32 PM

994 posts, read 901,027 times
If the trail ends at Point State Park, why not put this there? Here is what I would (possibly) try. Break it into three sections, and place them in the green space of Point State Park with each piece taller than the previous and leading into the city skyline.

The fact that Pediuo asked Obama about this during the meeting, and has already concluded that the location should be the Northside, is interesting.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:54 PM

458 posts, read 656,776 times
For what it's worth, while a few of you think that Peduto is the second coming of Jesus for coming up with this idea, it seems the majority of comments I'm reading on social media seem to feel the way I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh