Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 12:20 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
I have a great quote for the occasion:
Quotes from the guy who put forth trickle down economics and once argued that there was no word in Russian for "freedom" aren't that convincing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 12:21 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,404,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Well hell. Storm sewer by me backed up in a storm last year, then because my driveway drain are downspouts are correctly connected, the storm water backed up into my driveway halfway up my garage doors, flooding garage, basement, laundry to 5" deep. But I couldn't collect anything from the municipality. I hate it when it only works one way.
I'd suggest you consider a sewer line check valve. That will stop any mainline back flow into your house.

Here's the first site that popped up that discusses it so you can get more detail.
Guide to Backwater Valves, Check Valves or Toilet Plugs to Prevent Sewer Line / Septic Line Backups into the Building

Old 12-19-2013, 12:32 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
I remember paying a small $25 or $30 fee to avoid the dye test when I bought my home last year. I think I was grandfathered in?

If the city won't let you drain to your yard, maybe a rain barrel would be an affordable alternative?

Old 12-19-2013, 02:28 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,240 times
Quote:
Why not just turn water from downspouts away from the sewage drain and onto the
road/lawn/woods?
The city's problem is that, if you look at those maps, in all the places that have combination sewers , generally, all the rain that falls on the pavement (that would be the streets, and any driveways that drain onto them) also goes into the combination sewer. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that in almost every case, the street in front of property contributes more to the problem than the property itself.

Even though my fellow ditchdiggers might stand to make a lot of money because of the regulations, I think it's ridiculous for the EPA to be beating up on homeowners while the city streets are a much larger part of the problem.

Quote:

They could take some of money from the multi-billion dollar sewer overhaul
and fix these problems with it rather than have the financial burden fall on the
people.
If you think about it, that's likely to make the magnitude of the problem for individual property owners worse. If they go and separate the storm and sanitary sewers on any given street, properties that are now exempt because of being on a combination sewer will now be required to come into compliance.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned, either here or in the KDKA piece, is the "French Drains" around the house foundation. They're the perforated pipe that allows ground water to run somewhere else than through the wall into the basement. They're a darn sight harder to put somewhere else than downspouts, because they're already almost as deep as the sanitary sewer lateral. Where I live, the township tests to be sure they're not tied into the sanitary lines, as they often are...

Old 12-19-2013, 06:40 PM

387 posts, read 471,028 times
Not saying it's legal, but every single person I know who lives in the city of PGH disconnected from the sewers & has run the roof water etc across their yards in some fashion.
Some have even tiered some gardens to absorb additional water. This is a legitimate alternative IMHO, & I was unaware it was not legal.

I have only seen 1 house forced into some type of compliance, & it was a person NOT from PGH who purchased in Carrick. On the corner of Theona & Wynocka-if you google it, you can probably get a close up of the horrid thing.

I watched them dig up & put in this horrid PVC contraption that goes along the most beautiful stone wall & into the proper sewer. The whole thing is an eyesore, & the yard was large enough & sloped well & had plenty of shrubs to continue the way it was before the 'compliance'. 2 trees have since died & were cut down, & shrubs have been removed.
IMHO yard looks like crap compared to how it looked before with mature trees & shrubs.

So a better alternative is to take away the source of water keeping the trees & shrubs alive & then you have to run a sprinkler system to keep it all alive????

I'm not sure why these people in Carrick were forced to comply-and none of the other homeowners on the block were-maybe now it is an issue of forcing compliance of this code for the new homeowners?
The house was for sale last I knew.

I also know many a real estate agent will just tell you to disconnect the downspouts if they are running into the wrong drain & fan it out to the yard, & block the drain before the dye test & closing. it is common practice yes, people do look the other way, because most people cannot afford to do it any other way.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:12 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,005 times
Why would anyone run rainwater into a sewage system to be treated in a sewage plant?

Old 12-19-2013, 07:17 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyev View Post
Why would anyone run rainwater into a sewage system to be treated in a sewage plant?

That's the way it used to be done, runoff from the roof went into the sanitary system. Most cities have this issue (as well as a lot of small towns that got central sewer early).

Old 12-19-2013, 08:02 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
The impact to individual homeowners is bad, but the larger projects taken on by the city or county will bankrupt the local governments.

Look at what happened to Birmingham, AL. The federal government mandates sewer system 'upgrades', then the corrupt local pols will finance bonds with the corrupt banks.

Sewer system customers then pay the bills for decades.

It's a criminal racket.

Blame all around for biggest U.S. municipal bankruptcy | Reuters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh