Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 07:38 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Sympathy for lawyers? Are you insane??

Haha true. I just find it crazy how quickly the employment tides changed in the sector as I didn't graduate all that much longer time ago & as long as you had at least mediocre grades you had to turn down oci interviews from some very good firms for lack of time to attend them all.

The money grubbing/worthless ABA takes a big part of the blame for accrediting any school that waved some $ their way to build a law school & taking zero steps to regulate the market.

Anyway back to the thread topic & enough sympathy for scumbags
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 10:04 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,886,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Thanks.

Yeah, I'm a suburban Philly native (think a cross between Mt. Lebanon and Fox Chapel, along with just a hint of Squirrel Hill ). I knew nothing about the city when I first started undergrad, but thanks to my penchant for exploring (and the car I was able to bring to campus), I explored the region far and wide over the course of my four years and gained a lot of knowledge of (and appreciation for) the place. Frequent visits help me stay in touch. I would never, ever pretend I know as much as geographically engaged (near)/lifelong natives plus longtime transplants like Hopes, Jay, Curtis (as long as it doesn't have anything to do with Jews ). Nonetheless, I think I manage to do ok.
My guess would be something along mainline then? I know the Philly area quite well in addition to da burgh. Again (Not like a native, more like you know Pittsburgh ). I guess you could throw me on the list with them as well, except my lifetime has been significantly shorter than theirs.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:56 PM

9,316 posts, read 12,911,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
My guess would be something along mainline then?
Yep, Penn Valley native.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:36 PM

147 posts, read 181,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
I agree with most of it other than the cheap housing and happiness of workers. The cheap housing is a myth and I encounter a lot of people that come off as miserable or carrying the anywhere but here vibe.
Agreed.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:08 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelok View Post
Agreed.
Just curious, what cities do you think have cheap housing compared to Pittsburgh? Coming from San Francisco, everywhere else in the country seems cheap to me so I'm not a good judge. Housing prices in Pittsburgh are roughly 75% lower than they are in SF. Even when I factored in the high property taxes and lower salaries, my monthly expenses dropped a lot by moving here.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:20 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,964,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Just curious, what cities do you think have cheap housing compared to Pittsburgh?
I often wonder the same thing. Home prices are going up in most of the other cities with cheap housing, too. The cities that aren't seeing this are the ones that have really serious problems with unemployment.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:07 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I often wonder the same thing. Home prices are going up in most of the other cities with cheap housing, too. The cities that aren't seeing this are the ones that have really serious problems with unemployment.
Yeah, that's one of the things that drew me to Pittsburgh. It had a decent economy for a place with such low housing prices. I do think that the rental market may be what they're talking about. Rents are high here when compared to the cost of buying a home.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:50 AM

1,010 posts, read 1,388,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Just curious, what cities do you think have cheap housing compared to Pittsburgh? Coming from San Francisco, everywhere else in the country seems cheap to me so I'm not a good judge. Housing prices in Pittsburgh are roughly 75% lower than they are in SF. Even when I factored in the high property taxes and lower salaries, my monthly expenses dropped a lot by moving here.
Columbus ohio is the closest growing area with new housing and is cheaper than pittsburgh. Also, texas, which is were a lot of the new growth and jobs are. You can get a 350,000 Pittsburgh home for 150,000 in texas.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:51 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman63 View Post
Columbus ohio is the closest growing area with new housing and is cheaper than pittsburgh. Also, texas, which is were a lot of the new growth and jobs are. You can get a 350,000 Pittsburgh home for 150,000 in texas.
Yeah, but you gotta live in Texas.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:57 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,757,186 times
From our short time here, I think Pittsburgh can show the rest of the country that we can all live together, be helpful and tolerant of each other. People here are so nice, helpful and kind.
From what I can see, people here still have the old fashioned work ethic of work hard, do your job, old fashioned ethic of respect for each other.

Everyone out for themselves is not alive and well here at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh