Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 08:57 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
No but it is a sign they don't care. From the street potholes to the smoking and love handles, people around here pride themselves on being stagnant and mediocre. I think Pittsburgh can teach the world that it is okay to be stagnant and mediocre. That is part of the local culture here. For others who are more fitness oriented and health conscious, they feel like a minority here.
I am. Extremely. Fitness conscious.

And I don't. At all. Feel like a minority.

Why do you?

Are these sentences? Short enough for you?

And of course we have the simple fact that you know nothing about anywhere else in the world because you are a stagnant, lifetime Yinzer yourself who will probably never move anywhere. But let's not let such mere facts get in the way - that would be bad.

Wouldn't it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 08:58 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Great White North!!!

Old 12-20-2013, 09:26 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Great White North!!!
The North Hills are rather nice indeed.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:29 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I am. Extremely. Fitness conscious.

And I don't. At all. Feel like a minority.

Why do you?

Are these sentences? Short enough for you?

And of course we have the simple fact that you know nothing about anywhere else in the world because you are a stagnant, lifetime Yinzer yourself who will probably never move anywhere. But let's not let such mere facts get in the way - that would be bad.

Wouldn't it.
The East End and affluent suburbs are filled with fit, health-conscious people. But in all fairness, the richer, more educated, and whiter you are, the more likely you are to be in good shape. Pittsburgh is more than just white people and the region as a whole still has a strong working class/blue-collar ethos. It's kind of like the apocryphal UWS Manhattanite, whom, upon hearing that George W. Bush was elected president, said, "How can that be? I don't know anybody who voted for him!"

I still think Sealtite is stretching this one thinner than a vegan gluten-free pizza topped with fair trade, environmentally sustainable tofu, but as I said before, I'll find the stats and post them on the morrow (ideally).

Old 12-20-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
The East End and affluent suburbs are filled with fit, health-conscious people. But in all fairness, the richer, more educated, and whiter you are, the more likely you are to be in good shape. Pittsburgh is more than just white people and the region as a whole still has a strong working class/blue-collar ethos. It's kind of like the apocryphal UWS Manhattanite, whom, upon hearing that George W. Bush was elected president, said, "How can that be? I don't know anybody who voted for him!"

I still think Sealtite is stretching this one thinner than a vegan gluten-free pizza topped with fair trade, environmentally sustainable tofu, but as I said before, I'll find the stats and post them on the morrow (ideally).
This data's a little tougher to find in one place (at least as far as reliable primary/secondary sources go).

Just to get the ball rolling, here's weight/physical activity data. Unfortunately, there's no numerical rank, so the percentiles I've placed here are visual estimates (plus Cleveland comparisons just for the man of 63 z's).

Pittsburgh = 35.0% healthy weight (low end of the middle third) > Cleveland = 34.4% healthy weight (high end of the bottom third)

Pittsburgh = 35.7% overweight (looks like the 40th %ile) < Cleveland = 40.9% overweight (among the very top--#11 to be exact)

Pittsburgh = 29.3% obese (high end of the middle third) > Cleveland = 24.7% obese (high end of the bottom third)

Pittsburgh = 23.6% physically inactive (looks like the 55th %ile) > Cleveland = 22.7% physically inactive (looks like the 45th %ile)

So overall, while Pittsburgh is more "fat" than it is "thin," it's still pretty close to the middle as far as American cities go (though America is still a fat nation). Interesting how Pittsburgh and Cleveland have fairly similar healthy weight/physical inactivity levels, while the two basically split the difference WRT their overweight/obese distributions.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I think your estimate of 8 months is a little on the low side. I'm with pghdude28, it's at least 13 .... . And why don't we just plant evergreen trees everywhere and get rid of those darn natives that shed leaves in our extensive parklands and state parks. We could have a mass tree-chop-a-thon so we have year round greenery, because April to November is simply not enough for any self-respecting city. Imagine if that happened in a world class city like New York or Boston

Comments on news article/videos are the sewer of the Interwebs. Not like these highly respectable forums we collectively contribute to with our erudite, informed commentary.

Time to get the bus to downtown, and fight off the hoards of racist old poor dumb people who hang out at Market Square. It's hell out there, folks. Hell ... I tell ya!
Agree with the bold, but OTOH, that Huffpo article was enough to make me barf. They really didn't cover any of the negatives. They recently did a similar story about Minneapolis which garnered similar responses.

Quote:
I think Sealtite has most of it covered. Just this past September, Pittsburgh was ranked the 3rd most stressful city to live in. If the quality of life is so amazing here, why are we top in terms of stress? Do any of you realize the negative health consequences from stress? Forbes wrote a similar article back in 2009.

Pittsburgh Ranks In Top 10 Of Most Stressed Cities In Nation « CBS Pittsburgh
None of these lists are worth a crock of compost! 10 Best Cities to go Fly a Kite! Read it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
He's one of the most stressed people in the city and I have an anger issue. So I guess we're including unsolicited amateur psychological evaluations to the arsenal of "gotcha" comebacks?
That is one thing that really bugs me about many posters on CD, on many different forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
I disagree. Living a healthy lifestyle is much easier here than in the other places I have lived. For one, unlike the NYC metro area, I don't have to work 70 hours a week to afford a jumbo mortgage on my modest home bordering the ghetto. For outdoor recreation, this place is unparalleled. The parks here are really good (North/South parks are especially unique) and how the city is transforming the river fronts is really commendable. People can be trashy (I especially dislike how people around here tend to litter), but if you are inclined to live an active and cultured life here it is relatively easy.
Seriously? Have you ever been out west? The Pittsburgh area is great for water sports, but not much else.

Mountain Parks | Denver Parks and Recreation
Winter Park Resort - Official Ski Resort Website - Winter Park, Colorado (Owned by the City of Denver)

Old 12-20-2013, 10:48 PM

^BTW Kat, I'm not sure if you saw the link I posted, but Denver's quite the healthy place. At the top of the list as far as healthy weight people go, and next to the bottom in terms of obese and physically inactive people. The overweight %age is on the higher side, but that's probably because there's so few obese people.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:04 PM

Pittsburgh could use improvement as far as life expectancy goes. It's 21st out of the 25 largest metropolitan areas (78.2). While things are not quite so bad on a national level (78.2 is on par with #35 Michigan), 78.2 is still fairly mediocre (that's mediocre, not ABYSMAL).

Data is available here.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:34 PM

419 posts, read 551,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Pittsburgh could use improvement as far as life expectancy goes. It's 21st out of the 25 largest metropolitan areas (78.2). While things are not quite so bad on a national level (78.2 is on par with #35 Michigan), 78.2 is still fairly mediocre (that's mediocre, not ABYSMAL).

Data is available here.
I think that is pretty accurate. While Pittsburgh is not at all great, it isn't exactly abysmal either. Simply put, Pittsburgh is mediocre.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I think that is pretty accurate. While Pittsburgh is not at all great, it isn't exactly abysmal either. Simply put, Pittsburgh is mediocre.
I'll give you a 159 for that one on the LSAT scale. On the lower side, but still not bad for a yinzer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh