Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:21 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,456,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'd rather they don't make it so the season can be OVER. If the hockey season ends early too, I'll be very happy.
haha. you sound just like my brother. I'm not a big steeler fan and I hate hockey but I still would prefer they do well just to put people in good moods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPANative View Post
Nowhere else can you see grown adults pissing and moaning about sports like 2nd graders.
except for... almost everywhere else, I completely agree. Sports aren't raking in billions and billions of dollars in the US because Pittsburgh takes them too seriously..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 11:25 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
for football fans...as you know, but in case someone does not, to make the post-season, this must happen:

the steelers need to beat Cleveland here in Pittsburgh this coming sunday.

these teams need to lose their respective games:
San Diego
Baltimore
Miami

its possible that after this crazy year (starting 0-4 and appearing as one of the worst teams in the league), they can still make the post-season with an offense running like a well-oiled machine (it aint perfect, but still...)

is anyone excited? would you rather they DONT make it and gain a higher draft pick? for the older guys, would losing to cleveland eat you up inside, even though they (the brownies) havent been a formidable force in YEARS?

discuss!
Would be great if it worked out but whether they get in or not it makes a lot of games much more interesting and fun to watch, especially being the last week of the regular season. Can't remember when so many games in both conferences came down to being so significant.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:48 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,797,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Would be great if it worked out but whether they get in or not it makes a lot of games much more interesting and fun to watch, especially being the last week of the regular season. Can't remember when so many games in both conferences came down to being so significant.
Last week was amazing as well. A lot of good games that were important and some upsets happened. I was In SE Florida right after the Miami win against New England and they were fired up down there. Partially because so many NE fans went all the way down there for a supposed guaranteed win and to escape the storm that weekend. Then they totally blow it and lay a goose egg against Buffalo. Steelers making it is such a longshot but still a slight chance. Hockey is ok but it's way worse than football in a way as far as getting sick of hearing about it. The season is just too freakin' long the playoffs don't even start until like two and a half weeks before summer officially starts.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:02 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,325 times
I hate when people were saying a few weeks back that the Steelers should try to lose so they get a higher draft pick. People that talk like that have never played sports. You play to win, period. The players are getting paid handsomely and if they are dogging it, the coaches will see it either live or on game film and someone else who is waiting in the wings would love to have their gig if they do not give all out. It is not a bad paying gig and a lot of glory comes with it. Other teams may be counting on your team to beat another team to get into the playoffs. It is their obligation to give all out and try to win even though they will be staying home come playoff time. Also, stats are like money for NFL players. Come contract time, it my affect your negotiating status if you dogged it the last few games because you did not want to go all out or get hurt since your team was out of the playoff hunt. Thinking that a team should lose on purpose is stupidity. Of course, the Penguins lost the final game back in 1984 to get the first overall pick to draft Mario Lemieux to save the franchise. That is one major exception when maybe it is better to lose one game.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:32 PM

If there werent so many bad teams this year the Steelers would have certainly lost more. While IMO, the Chiefs are going nowhere, they certainly won't be playing to win this final regular season game and that may be what seperates the Steelers from the playoffs.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:40 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
I can't wait until the season is over. I hate football. I hate taking phone orders from obnoxious, boorish, drunk football fans who try to idly small-talk me about the game while they figure out what they want to order when I already have someone else on hold due to our volume of business. I hate delivering to obnoxious, boorish, drunk football fans who seem to tip based upon their prevailing mood, which is dictated by how well "we" (i.e. "the Steelers") are doing. I hate when people are miserable on Mondays because the Steelers lost the day before.

The sooner this sheer idiocracy ends, the better.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:48 PM

Sounds like you need a different line of work. Also sounds like whoever you work for prospers off of the orders during the game from the fans which keeps you and many other people employed. A fan or not, much revenue comes in and employs a lot of people and circulates a lot of much needed money to the areas.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:48 PM

For the record, back in 1989, the Steelers had to win their final game and four teams had to lose their final game for the Steelers to get into the playoffs. It happened. The Steelers ended up going to Houston and were major underdogs in the first playoff game and ended up pulling off the upset down in the Astrodome on a 51 yard field goal by Gary Anderson in overtime. It was New Years Eve 1989 and I went to a party that night at Graffiti Nightclub and saw the Pittsburgh band Affordable Floors. It was a great time given that we won the game and were headed into the 1990s.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:51 PM

Anything's possible. Be great to see it happen again.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I can't wait until the season is over. I hate football. I hate taking phone orders from obnoxious, boorish, drunk football fans who try to idly small-talk me about the game while they figure out what they want to order when I already have someone else on hold due to our volume of business. I hate delivering to obnoxious, boorish, drunk football fans who seem to tip based upon their prevailing mood, which is dictated by how well "we" (i.e. "the Steelers") are doing. I hate when people are miserable on Mondays because the Steelers lost the day before.

The sooner this sheer idiocracy ends, the better.
I worked in the industry for several years. I will say that while general questions about the menu items are expected, it is always a good idea to figure out what you want BEFORE you pick up the phone. What I do if I am curious about a place is call about an hour or so before I order to to find out a certain question that may not be answered on the menu. I then figure out exactly what I want and what anybody else wants and THEN I pick up the phone and tell the person taking the order I want A, B, C. Remember, there are other people calling and food in the oven that needs to be checked and properly packaged. In a perfect world, Gino will answer the phone, roll you dough, flip the dough in the air, meticulously put on the sauce, cheese and pepperoni, and then let it bake for fifteen minutes without anyone else calling. It usually does not work that way anymore because it is not a perfect world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh