Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 11:43 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
?? Our apartment is not packed to the ceiling with made in China products, care to provide a cite?
Uh... you want me to cite a source for what you have in your apartment? Sorry, I don't have that information readily available...

Willing to bet that keyboard/mouse/device you typed that post on was made in China though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 11:46 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,284 times
Most people aren't aware of how much they own is made overseas. To feed off "made in the USA" desires, sometimes final production is done here, but every other component was produced overseas and then shipped to the US to be put together. There are a TON of loopholes with the whole "Made in <location>" stamps. As an educated, aware dog owner, this comes up a lot, for example. Many dog foods, products, treats have been hiding the location of production. They will simply say "Distributed by _________" and give the US head office location. Or they'll produce in the US but their meat and other ingredients come from China. This doesn't just apply to the pet product industry, it comes up in the human food industry as well (see the recent honey controversy), among other things. The average person has no damn idea how many products they are using from developing and undeveloped nations. You just don't.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:49 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
The average person has no damn idea how many products they are using from developing and undeveloped nations. You just don't.
There are lots of things I have no idea about, including why having stuff made in China is worse for greenhouse emissions that having stuff made here. It could be the case, but I don't see it as obvious.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:51 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,250 times
I got a soulless 13.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:52 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,421 times
The glasses used at Square Cafe are made in the USA. Therefore, to reduce one's carbon footprint, one should take the bus to Regent Square and have drinks at the Square Cafe.

Buying items such as electronics or computer peripherals NOT made in the USA is much easier said than done. Such movements to buy American only have failed largely because of the one reason why items are made in India, China, Bangladesh, Vietnam, etc. in the first place: they are significantly cheaper. If they were made in the USA, they would be much, much more expensive, to the point where it makes little economic sense from the point of view of a company to manufacture high-volume consumer items here anymore.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:55 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
There are lots of things I have no idea about, including why having stuff made in China is worse for greenhouse emissions that having stuff made here. It could be the case, but I don't see it as obvious.
You have to ship things from the others side of the world, which is hardly carbon neutral.

That said, if the manufacturing process itself becomes "cleaner" it could cancel out.

Things like food I almost always try to get locally, for this reason though. I refuse to buy apples from New Zealand in the spring and the like. It's more fun only eating fruit when it's in season anyway.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:03 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
You have to ship things from the others side of the world, which is hardly carbon neutral.

That said, if the manufacturing process itself becomes "cleaner" it could cancel out.

Things like food I almost always try to get locally, for this reason though. I refuse to buy apples from New Zealand in the spring and the like. It's more fun only eating fruit when it's in season anyway.
But the shipping, if by boat, uses very little carbon and when you figure transporting raw materials to the manufacturing point, it might not be much less shipping involved. Shipping fruit is very different because that usually has to be done by air and at a greatly increased energy cost.

And, while Chinese manufacturing is notoriously polluting, it is usually less mechanized and therefore more carbon neutral.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:22 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Uh... you want me to cite a source for what you have in your apartment? Sorry, I don't have that information readily available...

Willing to bet that keyboard/mouse/device you typed that post on was made in China though.
You said "I find it hilarious that people that shout down anyone who has to drive on a regular basis while their houses are packed floor to ceiling with made in China products."
That is what I was requesting a cite for.

I can't help where my employer buys their computer equipment from.

We can't compost, as we are apartment dwellers also.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:44 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
We can't compost, as we are apartment dwellers also.
Sure you can, get some worms and vermicompost!

Old 01-09-2014, 01:08 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
But the shipping, if by boat, uses very little carbon and when you figure transporting raw materials to the manufacturing point, it might not be much less shipping involved. Shipping fruit is very different because that usually has to be done by air and at a greatly increased energy cost.

And, while Chinese manufacturing is notoriously polluting, it is usually less mechanized and therefore more carbon neutral.
this is not correct. fruit can and does travel by boat, Philadelphia's port specializes in perishables such as fruit which generally get shipped in smaller boats. I agree with echaton's approach (buy local which is usually superior anyway, particularly when it comes to things like apples) where applicable but PA oranges, avocados, and bananas (among others) can be a little hard to come by ; )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh