Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 02:35 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times

Advertisements

Just kidding. LAWL

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 05:24 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,052,111 times
nice, NOW all the young'ins are here. where were they in the 1990 and early 2000s!!!

what a change, though. its hard to believe how much optimism there is - not that you have to be in your 20s, but that helps to have an invigorated area.

now, kid, get some more chairs out and make sure the shrimp is iced down before everyone gets here.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:34 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,283 times
If you asked me what the biggest change has been here in the ten years I've been in Pittsburgh, it's this: From 2003-2008, when asked, everyone said "I can't wait to get the hell out of this place". From 2009 on, it's "when are you moving here?". And a lot of people are starting to act on this second part. Friends from elsewhere are starting to arrive and dig in. I almost fell into the "get out" trap at one point. Glad I didn't buy into it.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:04 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,777 times
From my experience the "I can't wait to get the hell out of this place" goes back to 1993, then lol

Old 01-09-2014, 11:06 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,701 times
I visited Pittsburgh for the first time in 2010 without any expectations and liked it very much. Because of that, when the opportunity arose to move here or elsewhere, I pushed to move here. It's looking more and more like we will stay.

I wonder what I would have thought had I visited 10 years earlier, though I wish it was on my radar earlier than 2010.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:12 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,052,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
I visited Pittsburgh for the first time in 2010 without any expectations and liked it very much. Because of that, when the opportunity arose to move here or elsewhere, I pushed to move here. It's looking more and more like we will stay.

I wonder what I would have thought had I visited 10 years earlier, though I wish it was on my radar earlier than 2010.
Refugee - you might have liked it. it was the long term, daily life that people didnt like. but to visit, even back in the 1990s, it may have made no difference - there was stuff to do and to enjoy back then.

everything seems much improved solely by the numbers of younger people who put money into those things - bars, clubs, entertainment, etc. the outdoors aspect was around, but now its insane (biking and kayaking locally, etc.).

Old 01-09-2014, 11:15 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,150,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
If you asked me what the biggest change has been here in the ten years I've been in Pittsburgh, it's this: From 2003-2008, when asked, everyone said "I can't wait to get the hell out of this place". From 2009 on, it's "when are you moving here?". And a lot of people are starting to act on this second part. Friends from elsewhere are starting to arrive and dig in. I almost fell into the "get out" trap at one point. Glad I didn't buy into it.
This is 100% true. There has been a big change in the mentality of young adults in Pittsburgh and wanting to live here. Ten years ago, the prevailing mentality amongst people in their 20's in this area was to find a job in DC or the Carolinas right after finishing college. Now as someone in their early 20's, the general mentality seems to be leaving this area is the last thing someone wants to do amongst people my age instead of wanting to move out as soon as they graduated college or high school as it was from 1980-2006.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:28 PM

419 posts, read 551,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
A lot of marketing and fluff articles throughout the 2000's in addition to the nationwide surge in college enrollment contributed in some way to more young people moving to Pittsburgh. This graph, however, fails to show whether or not Pittsburgh has been able to attract a substantial amount of outsiders in the 25-35 age group, as well as retaining non-Pittsburgh area students in the city's colleges & universities once they graduate. The trend is better, but Pittsburgh is still low on many people's lists, including young professionals. I'm willing to bet there are a substantial number of area graduates that are underemployed here, but remain in Pgh due to lower cost of living. I highly doubt it's Pittsburgh's exciting nightlife and entertainment and plethora of entry level professional jobs . The corporate culture here is still the good ol' boys club mentality. The wages are stagnant and workers are grossly underpaid. On the flip side, you get more bang for your buck here even if you do work one of the plethora of $9-$13/hr jobs.

In summary, Pittsburgh is trending younger, but it is not because it is an attractive place for young people or that there are endless entry level, professional jobs here. BTW, before I get attacked, I do work in a high paying job. That is why I'm still here. But my head isn't in the sand when it comes to young professionals in Pgh.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:43 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
This is 100% true. There has been a big change in the mentality of young adults in Pittsburgh and wanting to live here. Ten years ago, the prevailing mentality amongst people in their 20's in this area was to find a job in DC or the Carolinas right after finishing college. Now as someone in their early 20's, the general mentality seems to be leaving this area is the last thing someone wants to do amongst people my age instead of wanting to move out as soon as they graduated college or high school as it was from 1980-2006.
It was in 2006 that I first noticed more positivity coming from the people I knew in Pittsburgh.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:52 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
I highly doubt it's Pittsburgh's exciting nightlife and entertainment and plethora of entry level professional jobs .

In summary, Pittsburgh is trending younger, but it is not because it is an attractive place for young people or that there are endless entry level, professional jobs here. BTW, before I get attacked, I do work in a high paying job. That is why I'm still here. But my head isn't in the sand when it comes to young professionals in Pgh.

You're a bit off. There has been a huge surge in the art/technology/nightlife fusion department in PGH the last few years, much of which is actually getting global attention. People in Pittsburgh are doing some things here that aren't happening many other places in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh