Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 01:05 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPANative View Post
It can't be anymore difficult than any other community in the US, and there are plenty of boroughs and municipalities (like Mt Lebo) that are super agressive in enforcing speed and other traffic laws.
This opinion is based on what? No other community outside of Pennsylvania is in a state that prohibits the use of radar. Only Pennsylvania has this law for some reason. Radar is the standard for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 01:27 PM

458 posts, read 656,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
This opinion is based on what? No other community outside of Pennsylvania is in a state that prohibits the use of radar. Only Pennsylvania has this law for some reason. Radar is the standard for a reason.
You're assuming it's an opinion.........I used to work in the South Hills (Upper St Clair,Bethel,Mt Lebo area) and anyone who lives in or drives through Mt Lebo on a regular basis will agree that their police force is relentless. I've been told by actual Mt Lebo employees that their police are relentless to the point that they would pull over their own family. My point is, communities outside of the city don't have issues enforcing speed. You simply never see Pittsburgh Police enforcing anything.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:35 PM

419 posts, read 551,839 times
Quote:
You're assuming it's an opinion.........I used to work in the South Hills (Upper St Clair,Bethel,Mt Lebo area) and anyone who lives in or drives through Mt Lebo on a regular basis will agree that their police force is relentless. I've been told by actual Mt Lebo employees that their police are relentless to the point that they would pull over their own family. My point is, communities outside of the city don't have issues enforcing speed. You simply never see Pittsburgh Police enforcing anything.
You will see the heaviest traffic law enforcement near the universities in the city, usually campus police.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:38 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
You will see the heaviest traffic law enforcement near the universities in the city, usually campus police.

ive barely seen any cop pull anyone over in Oakland. in 5 months, ive seen maybe 3 cops pull someone over and that's combining PITT and CMU campuses.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
That is a fair point, I often see CMU police monitoring traffic during the morning, late afternoon, and evening times. I don't believe I've ever seen Pitt actively monitoring traffic, but know they are quick to respond to situations. Overall though, general monitoring of traffic in the city is severly lacking

Old 01-11-2014, 02:03 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,514 times
Quote:
Doesn't anyone know why that rule exists? It seems dumb to handicap the local police like that.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:06 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Doesn't anyone know why that rule exists? It seems dumb to handicap the local police like that.
Because it's nothing but a money maker.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:13 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,263 times
Quote:
No, it is still an opinion. You said no other community in the entire US, and yet you haven't once addressed my topic about radar being illegal in Pennsylvania for local police, a situation unique to Pennsylvania. Your one example is a comparatively wealthy area locally, while police across this state have talked extensively about how much the radar ban hinders them, and how much more complex and time consuming the alternatives are. And therefore costly and less efficient. Not to mention that some dedicated speeders have many VASCAR locations memorized, and in the age of the internet, people share this information. Legalize radar like a normal area in this country, and speeding will be more uniformly enforced.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:24 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,952 times
Quote:
This is true. I used to drive through Mt. Lebanon on my way to Bally's in Bethel Park. There were always people pulled over by the Fuzz.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
No, it is still an opinion.
I swear I have the hardest time conveying simple points....more than anyone I know. But anyway......

My point is there is a total lack of traffic enforcement in the City of Pittsburgh. I've seen two speed traps in the city in over 7 years of living here. One was at the on ramp to the Ft Pitt Bridge from Banksville Road, like 4 years ago, and one was last fall, oddly enough, on Wilkins Ave approaching South Dallas. Regardless of the restriction on radar, traffic laws can easily be enforced. There used to be an officer that would sit at Frick Park Automotive every weekday morning and pick people off left and right for running the red light at Forbes and Braddock, but haven't seen anyone in almost two years. The PPD could easily monitor insections for people not stopping for stop signs or ignoring pedestrians in crosswalks, but that only happens when someone is hit and killed. And even without radar, Penn Ave or Washington Blvd would be dead ringers for monitoring speed with speed traps. It doesn't happen, at least not enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh