Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:26 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times

Advertisements

Wow, if this doesn't make speeders feel selfish, I don't know what would.

Speed ad - Mistakes - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 10:30 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,721,051 times
Whats up wit da way dere talkin over ehre? Can't even understand what dem jags r' sayin', this is gewfy.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:34 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,780 times
Not much chance of that Curtis. They believe that they are the most important people on the road, and everyone else needs to stay out of their way. It's a total lack of regard for others.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:26 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
Not much chance of that Curtis. They believe that they are the most important people on the road, and everyone else needs to stay out of their way. It's a total lack of regard for others.

look at my old posts, if that were possible. i am very pro-bicyclist and pro-ped.....

...but this works every which way: pedestrians and their overzealous confidence. drivers in excess of 40mph in a 25. people on bikes in my experience are the LEAST selfish, for obvious reasons - their vulnerability. but there are a few of those people, too.

hell, even some PAT bus drivers and their overuse of the horn could simmah down a bit!

Old 01-09-2014, 11:35 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
look at my old posts, if that were possible. i am very pro-bicyclist and pro-ped.....

...but this works every which way: pedestrians and their overzealous confidence. drivers in excess of 40mph in a 25. people on bikes in my experience are the LEAST selfish, for obvious reasons - their vulnerability. but there are a few of those people, too.

hell, even some PAT bus drivers and their overuse of the horn could simmah down a bit!
My post wasn't an anti-driver post (it was an anti-speeder post, specifically), nor a pro-cyclist or pro-pedestrian post. I don't bike, and I don't walk much since I don't live in a walkable community (it's a glaring downside to the cheap cost of living). Regardless, brazen pedestrians and brazen cyclists don't kill like aggressive drivers do (other than themselves).

Old 01-09-2014, 11:39 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,057,552 times
sparrow, i was pointing out that safety can extend to others that use roads.

the first thing i thought when i saw the video was someone much more vulnerable getting hit by a car - a walker or biker.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:49 PM

252 posts, read 348,352 times
Thanks for posting this. It's amazing the risks some people talk to save a thirty seconds on a twenty minute drive. This applies to all modes of transportation.

Why not just leave two minutes earlier and relax during your trip?

Old 01-09-2014, 06:47 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grep View Post
Why not just leave two minutes earlier and relax during your trip?
Suppose I pick up an order at a restaurant in Oakland (let's say Mad Mex). I'm going to deliver it to Ellsworth Avenue in Shadyside. The delivery time should be under ten minutes (using the "shortcut" down through Panther Hollow via Joncaire Street and Boundary Street to South Neville). Let's suppose I am stuck behind someone in a Buick afraid to crack ten miles per hour on Joncaire due to the cobblestones. Following them the entire length of the street adds two minutes driving time onto delivery. They then proceed to drive very slowly up the entire length of Boundary/South Neville because they are too timid to pass a cyclist. Let's add another three minutes to the length of the delivery time. Now just getting from the intersection of South Bouquet & Joncaire to Fifth & Neville has taken me five minutes longer than it normally should. During the course of that additional five minutes my customer, who is tipping (i.e. COMPENSATING) me based upon the time it takes for their food to arrive, has decided to penalize me by dropping my tip from 20% to 10%. On a $50 order, which is our average order, that means my $10 tip just turned into a $5 tip---a loss of $5 due to someone "Sunday driving".

Perhaps people like you have the luxury of "relaxing" while driving because you're retired or unemployed and don't really need to go anywhere for any particular timeframe to meet deadlines. For those whom you are "holding up" while you coast on around "relaxing", though, you're eating into their bottom lines. This also goes for people who insist on hogging the left-hand lane on highways, preventing others from passing them.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:26 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,721,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
This also goes for people who insist on hogging the left-hand lane on highways, preventing others from passing them.
I often find people that complain about this are the type of drivers that insist on going 30 over the speed limit. Most of the time the people in the left lane ARE passing, but not fast enough Captain Speedy. How exactly are you supposed to maintain a legal amount of speed, pass cars on the right, and be fast enough for the random speed demon that comes along who insist your passing isn't up to their standards?

Old 01-09-2014, 07:51 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,598,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Suppose I pick up an order at a restaurant in Oakland (let's say Mad Mex). I'm going to deliver it to Ellsworth Avenue in Shadyside. The delivery time should be under ten minutes (using the "shortcut" down through Panther Hollow via Joncaire Street and Boundary Street to South Neville). Let's suppose I am stuck behind someone in a Buick afraid to crack ten miles per hour on Joncaire due to the cobblestones. Following them the entire length of the street adds two minutes driving time onto delivery. They then proceed to drive very slowly up the entire length of Boundary/South Neville because they are too timid to pass a cyclist. Let's add another three minutes to the length of the delivery time. Now just getting from the intersection of South Bouquet & Joncaire to Fifth & Neville has taken me five minutes longer than it normally should. During the course of that additional five minutes my customer, who is tipping (i.e. COMPENSATING) me based upon the time it takes for their food to arrive, has decided to penalize me by dropping my tip from 20% to 10%. On a $50 order, which is our average order, that means my $10 tip just turned into a $5 tip---a loss of $5 due to someone "Sunday driving".
Let's leave aside the self-centered entitlement and focus on math because this is a remarkably good illustration of how people will insist on speed even when it is completely pointless and lack the self-awareness to figure this stuff out.

The entire length of Joncaire Street is .2 miles and that stretch of Neville is .6 miles. To travel 1 mile at 10 miles per hour takes six minutes. Even if you compare it to teleporting, you're over-estimating the delay by several hundred percent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh